Portland/Kennebunkport

CasaSmith

I want make sure that it is feasible to do this when we go to Portland in a week and day.

We are renting a car at the port, and driving to the lighthouses (Bug Light, Headlight and the one at 2 Sisters Park). From there we plan to drive to Kennebunkport shop around and have lunch. Then come back and go to the Victorian Mansion and Downtown Portland.

We are in port from 7 AM to 7 PM. Plan to pick the car up around 9 AM.

Also, would it take to long to drive from Kennebunkport to Porland via the coast?

Any suggestions for Lunch would be great. Thanks everyone for their assistance.

:confused:

I want make sure that it is feasible to do this when we go to Portland in a week and day.

We are renting a car at the port, and driving to the lighthouses (Bug Light, Headlight and the one at 2 Sisters Park). From there we plan to drive to Kennebunkport shop around and have lunch. Then come back and go to the Victorian Mansion and Downtown Portland.

We are in port from 7 AM to 7 PM. Plan to pick the car up around 9 AM.

Also, would it take to long to drive from Kennebunkport to Porland via the coast?

Any suggestions for Lunch would be great. Thanks everyone for their assistance.

:confused:

Too much for one day. Kennebunkport is one of our favorite places and I was lucky enough to live there in the summers growing up and return at least several times a year. We recommend:

Grab the car and take I95 south to Kennebunk. Take 9a to Kennebunkport. Park the car in the public car park near dock square (easy and obvious to find). Walk through the stores, poke around, view the charming historic captain's homes - many now b&bs. Have lunch here. Highly recommend the Arundel Wharf down a little beyond Dock Square down right on water (river) with plentiful outside dining. We think hands down the best Lobster stew in NE. Or try the Hurricane restaurant by the bridge. Drive up Ocean Ave along the river and along the coast. Stop at the look-out in front of the Colony HOtel and enjoy the open ocean view especially looking south toward Wells and Ogunquit. Continue on OCean Avenue past the Bush compound. Follow signs to Cape Porpoise view the working harbor and lighthouse. (Also 2 possible places for lunch here). Continue North on route 9. Lovely scenery and you can take various roads down to the right to see typical beautiful southern Maine beaches - like Goose Rocks and Fortune's Rocks. At Biddeford route 9 rejoins I95. Return to Portland. Vistir Portland Head light if you're so inclined or explore downtown with perhaps an early dinner at Fore Street. ENJOY!

While I don't think it's too much to do in one day, it will be tight and full. I'll go along with Cruisin'Chris' suggestion about going down to Kennebunkport via the Maine Turnpike (I-95) as it's 15-20 minutes faster than Route 1 (traffic & traffic lights), and is about 45 minute drive on 95.

And I'd go there first vs the lighthouses. Why? Because the bus tours from your ship will all be doing Portland and the lighthouses first and then heading to Kennebunkport. This way you've been able to beat the crowds and made your way through some of the stores and maybe even in to a restaurant before 400 of your fellow pax descend on town via the coach tours.

Many restaurants in Kennebunkport - try Pilot House for lobster roll (they do it regular which is with mayo or natural - drawn butter on the side). Federal Jack's is a local brew pub for Shipyard beer (Pumpkinhead is their fall flavor along with 6 or 7 other year round brews). Want a really rustic meal, go to the Clam Shack at the bridge and then find a bench to eat your take away meal at. Allison's and the Hurricane are good, as are the Landing and Arundel Wharf. Since you're driving you may want to consider Mabel's down near the Colony Hotel.

After Kennebunkport, head back to Portland and do the Victoria Museum and then head across to the lighthouses in South Portland and Cape Elizabeth. None of the lighthouse towers are open to the public, but Portland Head Light has a nice museum about their property and Spring Point Light has a maritime museum on their property which are both nice little side visits.

I want to thank you both for your suggestion, especially about going to Kennebunkport first before the other tourist.

How long would it take if we go the Route 9? That is if we do not stop. Also, is there signs to the Bush compound?

Thanks again.

Christine:

We are on the Jewel 2 weeks after you but I've had no luck renting a car in Portland on Sunday. Hertz, Enterprise, etc say they're closed on Sunday. So my only option is to somehow rent a car at the airport. How did you get a car at the port?

Thanks.

Dwgped,

I am renting from Hertz, I tried to book online and it does not let you, says the office is closed on Sunday. I called the number for the office in Portland (not at the Airport) and they took my reservation. At first they told me to call the 800 number but they could not do it either. So call the office directly at 207-797-7156. The two gentlemen I spoke were helpful and answered all my questions, including about the weather and the lighthouses in the area. You pick up the call at the Port and then drop it off at a parking lot like a block from there and leave the keys in a locked box. Good luck.

Christine

How long would it take if we go the Route 9? That is if we do not stop. Also, is there signs to the Bush compound?

Route 9 runs with Route 1 at the start of your trip south, but then turns off to go towards Old Orchard Beach, rejoins Rt 1 and turns off again in Saco/Biddeford. I'd recommend staying on Rt 1 until the later turn off in Saco area to speed up your trip just a bit. This routing takes around 1 hour from Portland to Kennebunkport.

There are no signs directing you towards the Bush compound which is called "Walker's Point", but it's located on Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport.

Although it's a Sunday visit for you, most shops will be open around 10am as they're expecting the bus tours from the ship as well as other tourist coming through the area to do some leaf peeping.

• 2 months later...

I dont think there are any signs for the Bush compound but driving down Ocean Ave you can stop before you get to the Bush place where there are lots of rock formations on the ocean for climbing and just seeing the ocean. you just kind of pull off the road, you'll probably see other people doing it. if you go out onto the rocks (and you dont have to really climb very far but the farther you climb the better the view) and look towards your left the Bush compound is unmistakable. its the only house literally jutting out into the water on a big piece of land.

this in my opinion is the best viewing place for it. you can drive by it but you cant really see anything because its out on the water and if a member of the family is there there isoften secret service there blocking the view even more.

there is also a blowhole right where i think the best viewing point is. i apologize that i dont know the name of it. its just a place i went to a lot as a kid, so i know where it is but not what its called :confused:

also downtown Kennebunkport is really *quaint* and New Englandy. lots of shops and resteraunts and just a nice little area. i dont think you will be disappointed :)

Archived