Just off the wonderful Jade

JohnIreland

I just got an emial from clients that have arrived on the ship. These are seasoned cruisers who have cruised most mass marketed lines and so far love the ship and the crew. Of course they have a suite, but even without she is sure everything would sitll ge great. I can't wait to read a review as well.

Nita

I absolutely add my most heartfelt endorcement to your post, JohnIreland! Our 21 days on the Jade, Jan. 16 - Feb. 6 were WONDERFUL! I am working on our Review of the Jade, and another for the ten ports we visited as well, and hope to submit them as soon as I get over this nasty cold I believe I picked up on our ten hour flight back home.

Cruisin Europe - Great review!

You mention Paniolos Mexican Restaurant on the Jade. I can't find it when I look at the Jade on the NCL website. Is it new or has it changed since you were on the cruise a short time ago? Would love to go because it sounds great.

Ellen

Cruisin Europe - Great review!

You mention Paniolos Mexican Restaurant on the Jade. I can't find it when I look at the Jade on the NCL website. Is it new or has it changed since you were on the cruise a short time ago? Would love to go because it sounds great.

Ellen

Don't think that it's new... it's the Mexican/Tapas place. I know that it's called something different on the Gem and Jewel -- and that the NCL website SUCKS as far as pointing out the exact ship layout.

Essentially, it's directly across from the Blue Lagoon on deck 8. It overlooks the atrium.

Nice place we'd go back and pay the $10 in a heartbeat - but DO NOT eat the ribs. HORRIBLE. Everything else we had was fantastic though!

Our 11/30 through 12/12 cruise had superb crew and service as well. Still wondering what the problem was during the Christmas cruise we keep hearing about...over and over and over.

What problems during the Jade's Christmas cruise did you keep on hearing over and over?

I'm interested to know what the problems were and how you found them out.

We were on Jade's Xmas and New Year cruise and found no problems - i face we LOVED the cruise and the ports we visited.

Don't think that it's new... it's the Mexican/Tapas place. I know that it's called something different on the Gem and Jewel -- and that the NCL website SUCKS as far as pointing out the exact ship layout.

Essentially, it's directly across from the Blue Lagoon on deck 8. It overlooks the atrium.

Nice place we'd go back and pay the $10 in a heartbeat - but DO NOT eat the ribs. HORRIBLE. Everything else we had was fantastic though!

interesting about the ribs, we didn't get them on the Jade, but did on the Jewel..I was only disappointed as no way can ribs be considered Mexican, Tex mex or anything similar, and yet I thought they were good.

Nita

interesting about the ribs, we didn't get them on the Jade, but did on the Jewel..I was only disappointed as no way can ribs be considered Mexican, Tex mex or anything similar, and yet I thought they were good.

Nita

LOL, I was psyched that there were ribs on the menu (one of my fave foods!) so I wound up w/ 2 entrees (the ribs and the lobster tacos).

I ate one rib - and really really thought they came out of a microwave meal box - they tasted just like a chain restaurant boxed meal here in Denmark ... not "inedible" - but certainly not good.

The lobster tacos (and everything else we had) - - WONDERFUL!

But, I concede that food is just soooo subjective. I also didn't like the wings in the Blue Lagoon that everyone raves about... yeah, they were OK, just not stellar like I was hoping.

LOL, I was psyched that there were ribs on the menu (one of my fave foods!) so I wound up w/ 2 entrees (the ribs and the lobster tacos).

I ate one rib - and really really thought they came out of a microwave meal box - they tasted just like a chain restaurant boxed meal here in Denmark ... not "inedible" - but certainly not good.

The lobster tacos (and everything else we had) - - WONDERFUL!

But, I concede that food is just soooo subjective. I also didn't like the wings in the Blue Lagoon that everyone raves about... yeah, they were OK, just not stellar like I was hoping.

Of course remember, I ate them on the Jewel not the Jade and it was 3 years ago, lots of changes since then. As for the wings, I agree with you, we always get them, I think they should not be missed, but they are not the very best in the world, just a really tasty snack. I was with a group on the Star about a year ago and one of the gals liked them so much, she had her hubby get them for her every morning for breakfast. She would have him bring them back to the cabin..

Nita

We are going on the Jade this May and it is good to read the reviews. If anyone else will be on the same curise, please join the roll call for the Barcelona to Rotterdam cruise beginning on May 2. It would be nice to have more people on the roll call. :)

We were on the Jade in late August and found everything to be just great! Cabins, food, service, and the ship itself were excellent. Only the entertainment was a little lackluster. We were on the London to Barcelona itinerary. Many interesting ports.

Smooth sailing, Howard

We leave for back2back cruises on the Jade next and we would love to hear the latest info before we go.

Thank you in advance!

You'll do fine!!

One advice: when you eat in specialty restaurants like Le Bistro, the starters are often small and there is no harm in asking for 2 starters.

We preferred to eat in the main dining room for lunch on sea days - the food and service were excellent, but we never had dinner there - we preferred the buffet (when we didn't feel like dressing up after a long day in port, or .... when we felt like having an Indian curry dinner (twice)!!) or one of the specialty restaurants.

Another advice: when having a bottle of wine and you don't finish it take the bottle back to the cabin. One night we finished one and ordered another bottle to have a glass. We took the bottle back to cabin, and when we went to the Final Jackpot Bingo we took the bottle with us and asked the bar for wineglasses!

One more thing - if you're stopping in Alexandria, please take the NCL's Best of Cairo Overnight. It's pricey but worth it! You get to see more places and the hotel is lovely and the meals excellent buffet style in top hotels. I hear that DeCosta tours are cheaper and good but you have to pay the admissions yourself. We have really good memories and photos of our NCL tour to Cairo.

ENJOY!!

You'll do fine!!

One advice: when you eat in specialty restaurants like Le Bistro, the starters are often small and there is no harm in asking for 2 starters.

We preferred to eat in the main dining room for lunch on sea days - the food and service were excellent, but we never had dinner there - we preferred the buffet (when we didn't feel like dressing up after a long day in port, or .... when we felt like having an Indian curry dinner (twice)!!) or one of the specialty restaurants.

Another advice: when having a bottle of wine and you don't finish it take the bottle back to the cabin. One night we finished one and ordered another bottle to have a glass. We took the bottle back to cabin, and when we went to the Final Jackpot Bingo we took the bottle with us and asked the bar for wineglasses!

One more thing - if you're stopping in Alexandria, please take the NCL's Best of Cairo Overnight. It's pricey but worth it! You get to see more places and the hotel is lovely and the meals excellent buffet style in top hotels. I hear that DeCosta tours are cheaper and good but you have to pay the admissions yourself. We have really good memories and photos of our NCL tour to Cairo.

ENJOY!!

Thanks for the advice. Roll on Wednesday!

Archived