Transportation from Honolulu Airport to Waikiki Beach hotel

Firstin87

Hi,

We are sailing on POA on April 29 and will be spending the night of April 28 at a hotel in Waikiki Beach. Because we booked our own air, we are on our own to get to the hotel. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on the most affordable method of transportation? I've heard a tax might cost as much as $45, so I'm hoping to beat that price. If it matters, there will be 2 of us.

Thanks for the help. These boards are terrific!

Cyndy

Firstin87

The taxi price depends on which end of Waikiki you are staying on. The Hilton Hawaiian Village will be less expensive than the Marriott or Pacific Shore hotels. The HHV is the closest to the airport. There are transportation companies like Roberts that offer less expensive fares but you stop at hotels along the way. I can't remember the names of other companies that are often named on CC but they seem to be about $20-$30 for two people. Uber also operates in Honolulu. Depending on what time your flight arrives and how long you have been traveling it may be worth the extra money to jump in a cab and have your toes in the sand and drink in hand within an hour of landing. JMO Cherie

Thank you. We'll book a shuttle. Found one through Hawaiian Airlines site that appears to cost $29.xx for the two of us.

Wait! We have taken a shuttle before, and it seemed to take ages! You could be one of about a dozen people in the shuttle (which will wait until it is fairly full before leaving the airport) packed with everyone's luggage. If your hotel happens to be last on the list, it could take quite a while to get there, not to mention the time it takes to unload everyone before you.

Before you book a shuttle I would definitely check out the flat rate taxis that Pizzalady1 listed. I have searched Charley's taxi before and they are recommended highly. The advantage is that the taxi will be there waiting when you arrive. However, the one drawback is that you will be waiting for that particular taxi you have booked, not the first one that happens to be there. For this reason, we chose to just take the first cab available - it was the quickest and easiest. Yes, it might have cost a bit more, but we were out of the airport and at our hotel in less than half an hour.

We are definitely not the type of people to normally jump in a cab when on holiday, but this is one place we do!

OK, edmonton2. I'll look at the links from Pizzalady1 before booking the shuttle we found through Hawaiian Airlines. Although we have the "shortest" flight (5.5 hrs. from Calif.), we don't want to waste a lot of time getting from the airport to our hotel.

Thank you both!

Hi,

We are sailing on POA on April 29 and will be spending the night of April 28 at a hotel in Waikiki Beach. Because we booked our own air, we are on our own to get to the hotel. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on the most affordable method of transportation? I've heard a tax might cost as much as $45, so I'm hoping to beat that price. If it matters, there will be 2 of us.

Thanks for the help. These boards are terrific!

Cyndy

Firstin87

In the past we have called the hotel when we get there from a phone they have with listed hotels, your hotel may have a free shuttle.

Yes the fastest would be a taxi.

I know of only 2-3 hotels by the airport that offer complimentary transportation. But you can call your hotel ahead of time and see if they offer this service. If you call a Waikiki hotel when you arrive they will possibly offer you a very expensive shuttle or tell you to take a taxi. As OP is doing, plan ahead, pay the extra not to be on a shuttle and start enjoying your vacation within an hour of when you land. I also fly from California and have only done a shuttle once, never again. And, it seems like $29 for a shuttle that stops at multiple hotels is not a great deal. There have been good suggestions here and I hope you find something that works. Cherie

Hawaii23 is $23 for two people, Go808 Express is about the same rate and both are private vans, meaning you will be the only ones in them.

http://www.hawaii23.com/

http://go808express.com/index.html

There is no need to pay $12 each for a shared shuttle when you can get private ones for $23.

• 5 months later...

Looks like Charley's Taxi can accommodate disabled, such as those who use walkers. This information has been great. I agree on shuttles, they make many stops...would rather get to my hotel (in December) and get started on my vacation!!!

Does anyone know if Uber picks up at airport?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just came back from 10-day cruise, flying back from Honolulu. I recommend reserving your transport before disembarkation in Honolulu. The taxi line is long especially if you don't use porters. The taxis are expensive.

If you have arranged rental cars, many will pick you up.