Mariner's Embarkation Lunch

tinykygal

I have no idea what that is and why we weren't aware on our recent cruise.

We did enjoy the brunch that occurred later in the week.

Would someone mind telling me about the Embarkation lunch, where it is held and is it better than Lido on Day 1?

I think we are changing cruise lines if our 2nd one is as good as our first.

Thank you.

The embarkation day lunch used to be for Mariners only. But for the last few years it has been open to all passengers. It isn't so much that the food is special, although I have to say on our last cruise the menu was better than it had been previously. What we like is that we can sit in peace and quiet while everyone else is figuring out the layout of the Lido.

The crazy thing is that it's like some sort of state secret. If you ask anyone (shoreside or onboard crew) about lunch in the MDR, they'll likely tell you to go to the Lido for lunch. On one of our cruises, the CD kept making announcements that the Lido was open for lunch. Never mentioned the dining room. And we knew it was open, because we were sitting there having a quiet lunch.

So don't ask. Just go and see if the MDR is open. The hours are short. It usually starts at noon and runs only until 1:30.

Didn't know it was now open to everyone. It was busy on my last visit so that must be why. My wife and I enjoy the lunch. The menu is limited. A few weeks ago on the NA I really liked the menu. Some items came in half portions.

Not sure why its called brunch when no breakfast items were on the menu and it occurs at lunch time.

I prefer going to MDR's, especially for embarkation.

• the Lido or buffets are full of cruisers with luggage waiting for their rooms
  • hard to find a table holding food in one hand and luggage for another
  • table service in the MDR is much easier.... and as mentioned... quieter. The staff appear lonely in the MDR.

• table service in the MDR is much easier.... and as mentioned... quieter. The staff appear lonely in the MDR.

Do you actually sail on HAL? Interested to hear when you last saw people waiting for their rooms through lunch, with luggage.

Do you actually sail on HAL? Interested to hear when you last saw people waiting for their rooms through lunch, with luggage.
I agree with Lizzie. It has been many years now that HAL has had cabins available (with few exceptions) when passengers board. Therefore, most people go directly to their cabin and drop off their carry-ons before going to lunch.

Even before that, there was a luggage storage area where passengers could securely store carry-ons while eating lunch.

No workers are 'lonely' in the dining room during embarkation lunch. There are too many people eating there for that to happen.

We regularly sail HAL - and the Lido on embarkation day is regularly crowded with people with their carry-ons.
We sail HAL lots and all I can say is that must be their choice. Only once in years have the cabins not been ready on embarkation. Perhaps these people were in a hurry to eat.....

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

The first time rooms were ready at boarding for us was Dec 2010, so it's almost 7 years since we had our carry-ons at lunch! Although I suppose some newbies might not know it yet. I can't remember the last time I noticed anyone with bags. Edited by catl331

.... but then our shortest cruise with HAL was 18 days so I suspect that makes a difference.
Why? Many of our cruises in the last 7 years have been 7 or 10 days, and the rooms have always been ready. Once the start of boarding was delayed about 20 minutes from the normal 11:30 because not all were ready.

The first time rooms were ready at boarding for us was Dec 2010, so it's almost 7 years since we had our carry-ons at lunch! Although I suppose some newbies might not know it yet. I can't remember the last time I noticed anyone with bags.

I agree! It has been many years since I've seen carry-ons in the MDR or the Lido on embarkation day. The last time I remember hauling a carry-on around was 2010. Or maybe 2011. Never since then, and we've sailed every year.

I agree with Lizzie. It has been many years now that HAL has had cabins available (with few exceptions) when passengers board. Therefore, most people go directly to their cabin and drop off their carry-ons before going to lunch.

Even before that, there was a luggage storage area where passengers could securely store carry-ons while eating lunch.

No workers are 'lonely' in the dining room during embarkation lunch. There are too many people eating there for that to happen.

On our last 2 or 3 cruises, the dining room has definitely been underused on embarkation day. I wouldn't say the waiters are "lonely," because there aren't a lot of them on duty. Most people we've met in the dining room on embarkation day are multi-cruise Mariners who are "in the know." The dining hours are in the daily program, but I doubt anyone notices. I think most people automatically head to the Lido.

On our last 2 or 3 cruises, the dining room has definitely been underused on embarkation day. I wouldn't say the waiters are "lonely," because there aren't a lot of them on duty. Most people we've met in the dining room on embarkation day are multi-cruise Mariners who are "in the know." The dining hours are in the daily program, but I doubt anyone notices. I think most people automatically head to the Lido.

We have noticed that the crew tries to steer pax to the Lido. We consistently hear something like "The Lido, Deck (whatever) is now open for lunch" when we are boarding.

Or go to the Dive In or New York Pizza before everyone else learns about it later in the cruise!

We looked at the MDR embarkation menu on our last HAL cruise and weren't impressed so we went elsewhere.

Besides the menu, we don't like that the MDR lunch takes so long. We grab something quick in the Lido or DiveIn and go ship exploring.

Didn't know it was now open to everyone. It was busy on my last visit so that must be why. My wife and I enjoy the lunch. The menu is limited. A few weeks ago on the NA I really liked the menu. Some items came in half portions.

Not sure why its called brunch when no breakfast items were on the menu and it occurs at lunch time.

IIt's not called a brunch. It's called a lunch. (At least, it hasn't been called a brunch on my cruises) I am talking about embarkation day.

the Mariner's function which can be called a lunch/brunch which is held later in the cruise is a different story. There is a always an egg item on it - quiche. Again, a very limited menu ;)

Or go to the Dive In or New York Pizza before everyone else learns about it later in the cruise!

We looked at the MDR embarkation menu on our last HAL cruise and weren't impressed so we went elsewhere.

I really enjoy New York pizza but it's not on every ship yet. Hopefully, that will change soon.

IIt's not called a brunch. It's called a lunch. (At least, it hasn't been called a brunch on my cruises) I am talking about embarkation day.

the Mariner's function which can be called a lunch/brunch which is held later in the cruise is a different story. There is a always an egg item on it - quiche. Again, a very limited menu ;)

On our last cruise, the embarkation lunch had a better menu with more choices than the Mariner brunch-lunch.

oops I got them mixed up, My wife and I don't remember a quiche on the Mariner's function menu but that would make it a brunch. :cool:

On our last cruise, the embarkation lunch had a better menu with more choices than the Mariner brunch-lunch.

That's been our experience too :D

oops I got them mixed up, My wife and I don't remember a quiche on the Mariner's function menu but that would make it a brunch. :cool:

No worries at all. ;) there's been a quiche on everyone we have been to so far.

Thanks for the information about the embarkation lunch. After we drop our carry ons in our room, we'll have to go check out the menu. If we like the choices, we will eat there. Otherwise Dive In or pizza should work. :cool:

I really like that we can get into our rooms right away when we board! That does not h a ppen everywhere.

After two HAL cruises we finally figured it out and were going to enjoy the embarkation lunch on our upcoming Panama cruise next month but were informed we cannot board until 2:30. Seriously?! LOL Just our luck. We don’t cruise that often. It will be several years before our next opportunity to enjoy time at sea.