Do we need to tip at pier when dropping off luggage at embarkation?

On cruises from the US we have found a tip is expected from the baggage handlers when dropping off our luggage. Is this also the case in Europe (Copenhagen)? I realize tipping is very different in Scandanavia from US, but not sure about this exact situation. TIA!

Is this also true at Southampton? I am leading a large group and we will be arriving in two coaches. Usually just our leaders stay with the baggage until it had all been taken by the porters, and we tip them for the group. If tipping is not expected, then we do not need to collect cash from our group members for the tip.

Slightly off topic for this thread, but similarly we usually split a tip between the coach driver and anyone from the hotel staff that assists with loading the bags when we leave the hotel. Is this expected/necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this also true at Southampton? I am leading a large group and we will be arriving in two coaches. Usually just our leaders stay with the baggage until it had all been taken by the porters, and we tip them for the group. If tipping is not expected, then we do not need to collect cash from our group members for the tip.

Slightly off topic for this thread, but similarly we usually split a tip between the coach driver and anyone from the hotel staff that assists with loading the bags when we leave the hotel. Is this expected/necessary?

our very first cruise was out of Southampton

I remember seeing a large sign on the wall by baggage drop off that tips not required

Tipping isn't expected at Southampton. Depending which terminal, bags are off-loaded onto trolleys at the same time as passengers alight from the coach, or passengers alight then the coach goes to the baggage-drop.

(I could never understand tipping baggage handlers in the US - you only see those at the start of the chain, and most of the humping is done inside the ship by ship crew. Other than those using dedicated porters / skycaps, do you tip at airports?)

Not required, but appreciated. On their airport transfer coaches Cunard used to tip drivers £10. A driver should be content with £20, hotel staff with £5 to £10 depending how many involved - and whether you even see them.

As a general rule, tipping isn't the big deal in the UK (or the rest of Europe) that it is in the US, and is at a lower level - I guess an average of 5 to 10% of the cost of a transfer / dinner / haircut / whatever. Some simply don't tip & that's not a problem.

Those workers are paid at least a living wage, and tips are earned rather than expected.

Wages provide the bread, tips provide the jelly on top.

(Select the member of your group with the least-obvious US accent to hand over the tips :D)

BTW, you've booked 2 coaches.

For how many people?

Whilst the number of seats in a standard 12-metre coach is 44 to 56 (depending on layout, not size), cruise lines work on about 33 - 35 passengers per coach because of the volume/weight of cruise luggage. Even then, it's a squeeze to load all their luggage in the coach's lockers - luggage in the cabin is illegal though I've seen it done. If your party is more than about 70-strong (all adults) do check with your provider that the coaches will be big enough - upgrade to tri-axle coaches or add a decent-size panel van to the convoy if necessary.

JB :)

Tipping is not expected by baggage handlers in the UK, they are usually just take the case from you and pop it straight onto the conveyer belt, so I do not see it should be tippable anywhere in the world. Not something we would do, unless you have an airport porter who takes your luggage a fair distance and that is not an option in the UK. There are luggage trolleys in UK airports, and they are usually chargeable, so if you want to use one, you would need to have a coin to put into the slot which allows release of the trolley. Usually one or two pounds - Euros can sometimes be used. You can do a lot of walking at airports, but that is not necessary at cruise terminals.

It is fairly common in the UK to tip in restaurants and taxis, about 5-10% as John said, but only if it is earned - not essential. I have my hair cut by the salon owner, so I do not tip on a regular basis, but tend to give her something at Christmas and before she goes on Holiday. The top hardressers are not a cheap service, gone are the days when it was a low paid job.

Edited by tring

As a general rule, tipping isn't the big deal in the UK (or the rest of Europe) that it is in the US, and is at a lower level - I guess an average of 5 to 10% of the cost of a transfer / dinner / haircut / whatever. Some simply don't tip & that's not a problem.

Those workers are paid at least a living wage, and tips are earned rather than expected.

Wages provide the bread, tips provide the jelly on top.

(Select the member of your group with the least-obvious US accent to hand over the tips :D)

BTW, you've booked 2 coaches.

For how many people?

Whilst the number of seats in a standard 12-metre coach is 44 to 56 (depending on layout, not size), cruise lines work on about 33 - 35 passengers per coach because of the volume/weight of cruise luggage. Even then, it's a squeeze to load all their luggage in the coach's lockers - luggage in the cabin is illegal though I've seen it done. If your party is more than about 70-strong (all adults) do check with your provider that the coaches will be big enough - upgrade to tri-axle coaches or add a decent-size panel van to the convoy if necessary.

We have two 50-seat coaches for 65 people. Our provider has been great about advising us on the best size, especially since as you say, in the UK, luggage in the cabin is illegal (as far as I know, that's not the case in the US). That 33-35 passengers per coach is a good figure to think about and I will have to remember that for future planning because our experiences with providers in the US have not been good when it comes to them giving us an appropriate-sized vehicle!

SaveSave

We have two 50-seat coaches for 65 people. Our provider has been great about advising us on the best size, especially since as you say, in the UK, luggage in the cabin is illegal (as far as I know, that's not the case in the US). That 33-35 passengers per coach is a good figure to think about and I will have to remember that for future planning because our experiences with providers in the US have not been good when it comes to them giving us an appropriate-sized vehicle!

SaveSave

Sounds like your provider is on-the-ball :)

Have a great trip

On the coach, all the luggage will be stored in compartments under the floor accessed through doors on the sides. The rule is to prevent people being injured or trapped by flying luggage in the event of an accident. You will also find that every seat has a seat belt - it is not compulsory to use them, but it is advisable.

You will also find that every seat has a seat belt - it is not compulsory to use them, but it is advisable.

I'm being pedantic here, Bob, but you're way out of date. :p

Been compulsory on coaches (but not fare-stage buses) for several years, except when needing to move around eg to use the loo. Though I have no idea how anyone can be found-out :rolleyes:

One apparently silly exception is children under 14 years old. :confused:

That's because in cars it's the driver who's liable if an under-14 isn't wearing their seatbelt, but other passengers are liable for their own seatbelt.

The coach industry successfully argued that a coach driver can't possibly monitor 50 brats, and since the govt reckoned under-14s can't be liable for themselves there's no law requiring them to wear one.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying-other-peoples-children/other-vehicles/

But don't tell the kids ;)

On the coach, all the luggage will be stored in compartments under the floor accessed through doors on the sides. The rule is to prevent people being injured or trapped by flying luggage in the event of an accident.

That's how most luggage is managed on coaches here in the US for the most part, but if it's a hard-and-fast rule, it's not always followed. We were telling our UK provider about our experience last year in Boston, when people had to literally sit on their luggage in the passenger compartment because the vehicle was too small, and she explained that would absolutely not be allowed in the UK and the bags would be left behind! Overall, it seems like the safety standards for coaches are much more stringent in the UK - which is not a bad thing, just different for us. I'd much rather have a seatbelt than not and will use it happily!

In fact, the reason we generally tip the porters for the group is that the coach drivers unload a huge pile of luggage from the storage compartment and then the porters usually end up loading up several carts for us, so they do a lot of work.

• 1 month later...
Yes we have and we didn’t tip and won’t for a service that should be part of the cruise package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Baggage handlers are NOT part of the cruise package. They work for the terminal and for the most part work mainly for tips. It may be principle for you, but these guys bust their you know what and one day you may find your luggage on a different ship.

Cheers

Len

I fully understand the principle that tipping is NOT required in many ports in Europe, but, as has been said, it is appreciated. We ALWAYS tip for service, at least if the guy is nice or helps us out in any way.

What gets me is people spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, a vacation, whatever, and then bitch about tipping some one a few bucks. Yes, again, it isn't required, but why not.

At least that's the way we look at it.

Cheers

Len

Baggage handlers are NOT part of the cruise package. They work for the terminal and for the most part work mainly for tips. It may be principle for you, but these guys bust their you know what and one day you may find your luggage on a different ship.

Cheers

Len

Len

I find your posts very informative and have a great deal of respect for your contributions

However this thread specifically asks about tipping porters in Europe where unlike the USA they are paid a wage and do not work for tips

in fact on our first cruise out of Southampton UK I remember seeing a big sign saying tips are not required

most European ports the porters will have taken your bags and moved away-you would have to chase after them to give them a tip!

Of course if they hear an American accent they may hover more!