boots for excursions in Alaska?

mya603

I leave in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I would need boots for my excursions. I have one at Mendenhall Glacier and one in a rainforest. Otherwise, I've waterproofed two pair of sneakers. Which should I take?

I leave in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I would need boots for my excursions. I have one at Mendenhall Glacier and one in a rainforest. Otherwise, I've waterproofed two pair of sneakers. Which should I take?

On our 2 Alaska cruises we only took sneakers/walking shoes and waterproofed them. That was sufficient - we never felt the need for boots.

I took waterproof hiking boots because I wanted the heavy sole. We did quite a bit of hiking because our weather was so good. If you are going to hike around Mendenhall, waterproofed sneakers will probably not be adequate if it is really raining. If you won't hike if it's raining, you'll be fine. I would take a pair of each.

Never needed boots for an excursion in Alaska but I take hiking boots to conserve space. They look better at dinner than sneakers. I've always thought it interesting that "smart casual" seems to include what ever you want on your feet.

We took sneakers. We did the Skilkoot Trail and the Mendenhall Trail, and the sneakers were the best for us. If it's the same excursion we went on, you'll be climbing over rocks and tree roots. Boots would have been to clumsy.

Unlike most people I hate sneakers for hiking. When things are slick (dirt, etc.) I find that sneakers slip too much for my safety. If you have sneakers with a good grip to the sole you should be fine though.

I would bring lightweight hiking boots for the rain forest hike if only because of the superior grip of the sole on a wet surface. A lot depends only how much surplus space (and weight) you have in your luggage.

I took my Dr. Scholls Kimberly sneakers to both of my Alaska trips. Didn't do the rainforest but plenty of hiking (and plenty of rain and mud and some snow on the ground :) ) They have soles with good grip and much easier to clean off than regular sneakers. I do have Columbia hiking boots but never really felt like they were necessary - plus they are just so heavy, I'd hate to use up space in my luggage for them.

Never needed boots for an excursion in Alaska but I take hiking boots to conserve space. They look better at dinner than sneakers. I've always thought it interesting that "smart casual" seems to include what ever you want on your feet.

Well, I am bringing a pair of low heels to wear to dinner. "smart casual" to me means dressier pants and shoes than what I would wear hiking. :D

I took my Dr. Scholls Kimberly sneakers to both of my Alaska trips. Didn't do the rainforest but plenty of hiking (and plenty of rain and mud and some snow on the ground :) ) They have soles with good grip and much easier to clean off than regular sneakers. I do have Columbia hiking boots but never really felt like they were necessary - plus they are just so heavy, I'd hate to use up space in my luggage for them.

Yes, I know what you mean. My boots are kind of heavy. Might just leave them at home and go with two pair of sneakers. They are Sketchers and very comfortable. I wear a pair just like them walking in the woods at home all the time. Really would save space in suitcase too. I might get by with a smaller case. OOh, that would be nice!

Edited by mya603

I would check the forecast before you pack. If it's dry... skip the boots.

If it's wet... love my steeltoe work boots.

At Mendenhall... it's paved from the bus to the visitor centre. However if you plan to walk to Nugget falls.... it is very sandy and boots will be handy in wet weather.

Cariboo crossing and Liarsville is another place boots are handy. Other than that everything is paved on my trips.

Glacier gardens? Ok... yah boots will be great.

Again check the forecast before packing...

If your Mendenhall excursion is just a stop at the visitor center and walking nearby trails, such as Nugget Falls, you do not need boots.

If your Rainforest excursion is the one in Ketchikan at the same place where they do zip lining (Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary is the name of the tour we did) then you don't need boots for that either. It is a very easy path, not even "hiking" at all.

Personally, I do sometimes take low cut hiking shoes, NOT boots, if I'm going to be doing any level of hiking. They are very much like a pair of sneakers, just a bit sturdier with better traction and waterproof. The rest of my family is happy with sneakers in the same situations, but I prefer a little extra stability.

I would only take hiking boots if I was going to be doing extensive hiking and was concerned about my bad ankles.

My DH always wears his boots on the plane when we go to Alaska rather then trying to pack them. Personally, I don't think he ever needed them but they are comfortable and keep his feet dry in any weather. I bought waterproof shoes for one cruise and never wore them. If we had had heavy rain I probably would have appreciated having them.

When we took the rainforest excursion they provided rain gear but we didn't need it. The walk is flat and easy, no boots needed. We also hiked around Mendenhall and to Nugget Falls and didn't need boots at all. We had no rain on either excursion.

Hard lug sole boots such as Vibram skate on wet wood and have created terms like snot logs and zip bark.

Creek St in Ketchican is mostly wood boardwalk and the staircases on the Married Man.s trail are wood. Trails at Mendenhal are mostly graveled. But if you are doing any beach hopping, you'll want soles that have a little give/grip.

The consensus is that sneakers is all I need. So I am wearing one pair on the plane and packing another pair. I have waterproofed both pair. I will leave the boots at home! Thank you all for your input. My first time to Alaska and on a cruise! I am so excited!:)

In my experience, if the excursion information does not specifically say that you need boots, you will be fine in sneakers. Every excursion I have ever been on that required specific clothing either made it very clear in the information or they provided the gear. Given the bulk of boots, if they are not absolutely necessary I would try to leave them behind!

LOL....I live here too and hike quite a bit....I almost always use a pair of low Merrells..

....the waterproof ones.....not that it keeps my feet from getting wet when I cross a creek, but they are easy to pack and wear....and have great soles....and pretty spiffy looking too.....