New to Windstar ... Is it for us?

flydc

Ok thanks in advance for your help .... We cruise alot. Usually Oceania, Silversea, or Azamara. Like small ships and their feel but not sure about 212 pax on the Star Legend. Might be too small.

We are a gay couple in our late 40's / early 50's. Well traveled and we like to meet people from all over. We typically cruise with friends we have meet on other cruises but likely will do this one on our own.

We are looking at a cruise in January (11 nt). Oceanview cabin. Are they small or feel bigger than they actually are? Sometimes the square footage is misleading.

I see that you have to buy alcoholic beverages. How much are packages? Are they worth it or just pay by the drink? Food pretty good? We are kinda snobby with food but not crazy snobby!

Are tips included? How much per day?

Is it dressy? We hate the dress up nights on Silversea and usually hide in our cabin with room service!

How about this ship? We like a little afternoon pool time to relax after exploring port. Anyone ever been on Star Legend?

Anything else you have to say? We tried Silversea based on cruise critic info and same for Oceania ... I know these boards won't let us down!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Lots of posts that really address your questions in depth but will attempt some to get you started. We have been on all Windstar ships, Legend 6 weeks total. Cabins large and very comfortable. No worries there. Drink packages not anything we buy. We think drinks reasonably priced. Food good to excellent. We are rather picky about quality and presentation and never unhappy. Fellow passengers well traveled and mostly down to earth from all walks of life. Gay couples welcome. One gay couple we met last year sailed Seaborne for years and wound up on our cruise because their cruise was cancelled. They loved Windstar. No dress up nights so no hiding in the cabin. Deck party night and Candles nights shorts are fine weather permitting. Rest of time khakis and collared shirt at night. Maybe a sport coat for warmth depending on itinerary. Service charges at end added to bill but we tip cash for cabin steward and some favorite servers. That about sums it up. Happy to help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We have sailed with WS 22 times, with the motor sails once. We love the sails but as far as everything else the WS experience is the same: fantastic service, elegant but not ostentatious, friendly crew and passengers, we have seen plenty of gay couples and have traveled with our gay friends over the years everyone is equally treated well. I love food and am knowledgable about food and I hate buffets. The WS has small buffets but you can eat off the menu for breakfast and lunch. Dinner of course is sit down. Varried food, healthy choices, well prepared. We have never had one complaint we find the food delicious. I even partake in the small salad buffet. Lovely dining options. We would never attend a formal night, we would be like you room service, no formal nights on WS, nice, casual. Candles, outside dining , and the barbecue more informal.

On the motor yachts the cabins have nice larger bathrooms than the sailing ships, walk in closet, nice sitting area to gaze out over the sea, plenty of storage ( we are carry on folks ). The swimming pool is really a very small against the current lap pool. Shady and sunny relaxing areas. The Yacht Club is a great space with wonderful sandwiches in case you might be hungry if you miss lunch, great espresso all day long. Nice swim platform if the weather and currents allow. We are not more than two drinks a day people so can not help there. We find the drinks and wine very reasonable. Tipping they charge $13.50 pp per day at least that is what was last January. We always give cash to individual people such as our room stewards, and people that have been especially helpful. The crew deserves every cent it gets plus more. We love WS for the quality and the informality.

Try it and hope you like it. Happy Sailing.

The motor yacht staterooms are all suites. They are large - 277 sq ft. Did you perhaps look at the stateroom size on the sail yachts instead? Those on the sail yachts would fit well designed so the "feel bigger than they are". The motor yacht oceanview suites are large and comfortable with a separate bed area and a sitting area with a couch, two arm chairs and tables. A curtain can be drawn to separate the two areas.

Oceania lists their ocean view state rooms as 165 sq ft or 242 depending on the ship so Star Legend and the other motor yachts have larger staterooms than Oceania. The sail yacht staterooms are about the same size as on the older Oceania ships - about 188 sq ft.

Windstar beverage package info is here:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/faqs/#BeveragePackages

I'm a light drinker so I've never bought the package. They have two levels of wine packages and one for all alcoholic beverages. Drink prices are reasonable so it generally takes around 5 drinks a day to pass break even on the packages.

The pools on Windstar ships are small. I've never been in the pool on Star Legend because my cruises on it were in cool to cold weather. There is a large hot tub on the Star Legend bow that people so inclined seemed to enjoy on the Alaska cruise.

I agree with Strenz and Sb44's answers to your other questions.

O.k., here's my response as part of a married gay couple a smidge older than the two of you, but having cruised on at least 6 or 7 different cruise lines and looking forward to our 6th Windstar cruise this December (3 of them on the Star Legend). First, I'd be surprised if you don't love Windstar and both her passengers and crew. Compared to a Seabourn or a Silversea, Windstar is much more casual and laid back. Having said that, it is draws a decidedly more interesting and perhaps "sophisticated" passenger than the mass market cruises, in our opinion.

Staterooms on the 3 motor ships are very well thought out with ample storage. So yes, I'd say they do feel bigger than the actual square footage. Wouldn't pay for the balcony necessarily as it is too small to use. The only private balconies with actual seating are the 6 suites (which are extraordinary, just for the record).

Before our last cruise we had never done the beverage package on Windstar, but found it included when we boarded the ship. It was fantastic. We do enjoy a cocktail, it's true, but what we really liked was the ease of just getting a drink (again, we are used to that from all-inclusive lines). Others have said the "break even" is 5 drinks and that is probably true. But, for us, even if we had one or two less, not having to deal with signing and receipts, etc. is worth it on vacation. I think package prices start at 32.00 per person/per day for just beer and wine, 42.00 for better wine, 52.00 includes cocktails - and all occupants of a cabin must purchase, if I remember correctly.

As others have said, nope, not dressy. We usually take a jacket for evening on deck if it is chilly or if we want to make it a "special" occasion. Be sure and make a reservation at least one night at Candles on the back deck for dinner. I'd characterize the food as good, not necessarily gourmet or snobby as you put it. Service is added, but we always get envelopes from the front desk to give out cash to bartenders, cabin stewards, waiters, etc. who have provided special service.

Be sure and take advantage of the open bridge policy to visit with the Captain and other officers. The second pool (very small) on the bow of the ship is one no one knows about and is always empty. Our favorite and they always have a self serve cooler with water and soft drinks there, which is nice.

One weakness we have found is the shore excursion operation They are frankly poorly informed onboard, their tours are not great and rather expensive. We almost always book privately - and often beforehand - if it is somewhere that we really want to see and explore. Also, and we don't consider this a negative, but some might: if you guys are interested in entertainment and other nightlife, Windstar will be a disappointment. As I say, that is not a criticism, for Windstar is just not a "party" cruise line.

Hope you decide to try Windstar and enjoy it as much as we do. Happy cruising!