Declaring alcohol on check in?

stitchcreek

We're on hols in Vancouver at the moment and have found some cool liquor we'd like to take home, but we're joining a Celebrity cruise first - we know we'd get it confiscated until the end of the cruise, but to save us having to line up to reclaim our bags that contain contraband, can we declare it at check in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put it in your carry on, not in your checked luggage. Depending on the security staff they might, or might not, direct you to a table to turn it in until the night before departure. The only reason I say might or might not is because when we had some liquor that we bought in Alaska to take home we were directed to "that guy over there" when we boarded in Seward. He was nodding off and we just walked on board. BTW, we truly bought it to take home and had no intention of drinking it on board.

A lot of times I think it depends on the make up of the cruise, a party cruise in the Caribbean during spring break has much more scrutiny than an adults cruise on Summit to Canada, or even Millennium to Alaska.

I've done this on a transatlantic when I was bringing a special gift to friends in Europe. I bubble wrapped it and attached a tag with my name and state room number. I made sure to check it in with an officer and I got it back at the end of the cruise with no problem.

And keep your fingers crossed. The one time we tried that the bottle came back in pieces. They gave us a substitute, which was of way lower quality than what we lost. I'm guessing we were the exception but we never tried again so not sure

Just put it in your carry on, not in your checked luggage. Depending on the security staff they might, or might not, direct you to a table to turn it in until the night before departure. The only reason I say might or might not is because when we had some liquor that we bought in Alaska to take home we were directed to "that guy over there" when we boarded in Seward. He was nodding off and we just walked on board. BTW, we truly bought it to take home and had no intention of drinking it on board.

A lot of times I think it depends on the make up of the cruise, a party cruise in the Caribbean during spring break has much more scrutiny than an adults cruise on Summit to Canada, or even Millennium to Alaska.

Also, probably less of an issue with the number of people on drinks packages