Santorini Timing

iujen94

Trying to figure out how to squeeze the most into our short stop in Santorini (2pm-9pm in June). We are planning to take the cruise ship's Oia on Your Own excursion, which is supposed to start at 2:45 and last 3 hours, dropping us back in Fira. I'm thinking about making a reservation at a restaurant with a view at 6:00 (considering Argo, right near the donkey trail; or V Lounge, which is supposed to be a 2 minute walk from Argo). Would we have time to have a quick drink and appetizer, figuring we'd finish up around 7:00 or so, and have time to make it back to the ship by 9? There will be one other cruise ship in port when we are leaving (Jewel of the Seas), which leaves an hour after we do. All the horror stories of how long it can take to get the cable car back down to the ship have me nervous. We are physically able to walk down the donkey trial as a last resort, but from what I've read, we would rather not. Thanks!

A 9pm sailing probably means last tender at 8pm, but check this on-the-day.

Last tender time is the time that you have to be at the tender jetty at the foot of the cliff - you don't have to factor in any line for the tender or for the time that the tender takes to get to the ship.

In June it's still daylight til well after 8pm - assuming I'm right about last tender time you won't see sunset until you're on the ship.

Be sure to be at the cablecar top station a clear 30 minutes before last tender time. If the line is too long (it's a shame about Jewel's timing, if what you've heard is correct), take the zig-zag path.

It really isn't that problematic (though I've never seen it in wet weather) and it'll get you to the jetty in 20/25 minutes at a comfortable pace. Wide steps, walls both sides, no donkeys that time of day, but watch out for the few super-smooth shiny stones cos they're slippery. And if it's windy you might get the odd little dustcloud of dried donkey-poo.

JB :)