Tips for On Own Cozumel Exploration?

Tigerlilyz

Hi all! Have been reading the forum and have gotten some great ideas but hoping some of you cruising pros can help us newbies on our first trip to Cozumel!

We have decided that we would prefer to spend our day in Cozumel exploring on our own. We are two women in our early 40's (though we act/look much younger!) that have done a fair amount of travel. We enjoy local bars and dive bars. We don't like touristy places and are not interested in shopping while in port. We want to have some adventures and see the beauty of the island!

Questions:

1. Would you recommend renting a car or hiring a taxi? If renting a car, do you recommend doing so in advance?

2. What are the best sites to see particularly on the east side of the island? Some people have referenced a lighthouse?

3. We are both pretty fair skinned so probably won't want to spend much time at a beach but is there a nice one we can stop at without having to pay a fee?

4. Best places for authentic food?

5. Best locals/dive bars?

Thank you!

I would also take a look at the Cozumel Bar hop bus tour -- takes you around the island with stops on the east side and at a few fun bars. Leave the driving to someone else and enjoy! :cool:

Hi John - We looked at that tour but would prefer to go at our own pace. If you have any tips or can help with our questions I would appreciate any insight! I've seen your posts on other threads so I'm guessing you are a seasoned cruiser!

For two you can hire a cab by the hour - about $30-40/hour - and you'll need 3-4 hours. Blackhat tours and tours plaza are tow sites to check for booking a private driver. I've never rented a car on Coz and can't give you any suggestions for rental options.

San Gervasio ruins are worth a quick stop if you are touring (bring bug spray), the east side of the island (Coconuts is the most often mentioned bar there), San Miguel church, chocolate factory, tequila tasting, lighthouse, etc. Check trip advisor and some of the on-line sites to see what interests you

There are at least 100 restaurants on the island, and they will all give you great food. Our favorites are LaChoza (downtown) and any of the small restaurants off the main street next to waterfront. Go inland a block or two, and bonanza...best food and shopping.

Best locals bar... we like Wet Wendy's...also downtown just Northeast of the square.

Best beach bar....we like Money Bar...it is south of the cruise piers, great food and view of ocean. But if you are renting a taxi driver for the day, have them take you to the "other side" of island, lots of funky bars all oceanfront.

San Gervasio....I would skip it. There are great Mayan ruins in Belize and Costa Maya, much better use of your time to do excursions there with real tour guides.

robin

There are at least 100 restaurants on the island, and they will all give you great food. Our favorites are LaChoza (downtown) and any of the small restaurants off the main street next to waterfront. Go inland a block or two, and bonanza...best food and shopping.

Best locals bar... we like Wet Wendy's...also downtown just Northeast of the square.

Best beach bar....we like Money Bar...it is south of the cruise piers, great food and view of ocean. But if you are renting a taxi driver for the day, have them take you to the "other side" of island, lots of funky bars all oceanfront.

San Gervasio....I would skip it. There are great Mayan ruins in Belize and Costa Maya, much better use of your time to do excursions there with real tour guides.

robin

Thanks Robin! Yes, we are going to the ruins when we stop in Costa Maya. Sounds like not worth a repeat in Cozumel. What about the "other side" of the island? That is what is sounding interesting to us. Have you been and have any places you would recommend? Stuff to do besides bars?

Thanks Robin! Yes, we are going to the ruins when we stop in Costa Maya. Sounds like not worth a repeat in Cozumel. What about the "other side" of the island? That is what is sounding interesting to us. Have you been and have any places you would recommend? Stuff to do besides bars?

I think you would enjoy the Original bar hop.... Cozumelbarhop.com

check out the website...it gives a tour of the "other side" of island, where there is no electricity, just funky little shops and bars, and beautiful scenery. There is another bar hop tour, so don't get signed up for the wrong one. This one will take you to places to get great food and views, then deliver you back to your cruise ship dock afterwards. Nice way to spend 4-5 hours.

First, I would hire a driver if you want to see the East side... (Black Hat Cozumel - Crescencio is a great guy, and knows everyone in Cozumel) First stop; Mezcalitos. Great margaritas and fish tacos. Next; Coconuts; a bit touristy, but a great and fun beach bar, with the best view on the East side. Next stop; The Liquor Box/Coconut Cabana/ Welcome to Miami bar. Another great beach side bar, with awesome margaritas and mojitos. As you make your way around the island, you will pass Punta Sur, this is the lighthouse you asked about. There is an entry fee, and a nice beach there. Now heading up the West side towards San Miguel, where all of the great restaurants are. So many places to choose from. Some of my favorites are. La Choza, Le Chef (awesome lobster bacon sandwich) Guidos (yes, great Italian in Cozumel) Casa Denis. Great bars in this area are Dicks Dive and Wet Wendys (basically right next to each other)

I would rent a Jeep. There’s just one road that goes around the southern half of the island and then an east/west road that takes you from the east coast back to town. It would be hard to get lost and the road is in good shape.

At the southern tip is a lighthouse. The road there is rough so a Jeep is necessary to make the drive. On the east coast are a number of dive bars and cantinas. Very undeveloped and totally different than the western side.

You would definitely want to reserve a car in advance and the major agencies are right at the pier.

Have fun!

So the Cozumel Bar Hop and other posts got me thinking

IF the East side bars and restaurants don't have electric? (and don't use credit cards..hmmm)

How do they have refrigeration for food? Or Ice?

So the Cozumel Bar Hop and other posts got me thinking

IF the East side bars and restaurants don't have electric? (and don't use credit cards..hmmm)

How do they have refrigeration for food? Or Ice?

They have their own generators and are only open daylight hours. At least two have solar panels. They use purified water.

Thank you all for your feedback and tips! We have decided to hire a driver for the day to make it easy. One item I would still love feedback on is a nice beach that doesn't require a fee (or a minimal one). We probably wouldn't stop for long but it's always fun to take a quick dip in the ocean!

Admission to Paradise Beach is only $3 each -- great facilities, nice beach and HUGE pool. They also want you to spend $10 each on food/drinks -- easy to do with a beer/soda and some great nachos. Your driver may be able to suggest someplace smaller and on your route.

If you're going to venture to the East Side, stop at Punta Morena or Chen Rio, and you'll have practically an entire beach to yourself... No admission at either one, just order a drink or two.

Thank you all for your feedback and tips! We have decided to hire a driver for the day to make it easy. One item I would still love feedback on is a nice beach that doesn't require a fee (or a minimal one). We probably wouldn't stop for long but it's always fun to take a quick dip in the ocean!

The 3 times I've been in Coz we've rented a Jeep and explored the island. I highly recommend Mezcalitos on the east side... it's my favorite beach bar anywhere. Best grilled shrimp I've ever had in my life! The surf on that side of the island can be rough, but is perfect for body surfing. 😃 They have hammocks and a good photo op (you'll know what I mean when you get there), as well. Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

The 3 times I've been in Coz we've rented a Jeep and explored the island. I highly recommend Mezcalitos on the east side... it's my favorite beach bar anywhere. Best grilled shrimp I've ever had in my life! The surf on that side of the island can be rough, but is perfect for body surfing. 😃 They have hammocks and a good photo op (you'll know what I mean when you get there), as well. Enjoy!

Did you rent from the company in port before your cruise or at the time you arrived? We have rented there once several years ago and drove around the island which is what we are wanting to do again. Thanks for the grilled shrimp review!

We rented in advance. I'm not sure which company I used, but I know I did it that way so I could get the Jeep from a reputable company. Hertz, maybe? Driving around the island and beach bar hopping is my fave thing to do in Coz, but we're traveling with kids this time so will be going to a beach club. Have fun!

Here is the thing about renting a car and doing it on your own. It can become very expensive if you were to get into a fender bender or damage occurs to the car. If you have to spend your time working with the police and miss the ship you will incur some pretty heavy expenses. Just saying...

Here is the thing about renting a car and doing it on your own. It can become very expensive if you were to get into a fender bender or damage occurs to the car. If you have to spend your time working with the police and miss the ship you will incur some pretty heavy expenses. Just saying...

I agree... renting a car is not great there just because roads are full of pot holes, lots of one way roads, and people are zipping around like maniacs on scooters. Accidents happen constantly, and you don't want to be dealing with that on vacation. And getting in a fender bender could end up costing you $$$.

Taxis are so cheap... and you can let the local navigate you around the island.

Thank you for this post. I just changed my mind and my excursion to go to Nachi. Looking forward to this little piece of paradise. Anyone going who would like to share a taxi on Apri1 2nd with Carnival Magic, let me know. It's just my daughter and myself.

You are better off looking to share a ride with someone from your cruise roll call.

We have sometimes had luck matching up with others in the taxi line for your pier

Cab fare for 4 to Nachi should be about $17+tip each way.

We love that place - never crowded or noisy, a nice break from the ship. Enjoy! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
You are better off looking to share a ride with someone from your cruise roll call.

We have sometimes had luck matching up with others in the taxi line for your pier

Cab fare for 4 to Nachi should be about $17+tip each way.

We love that place - never crowded or noisy, a nice break from the ship. Enjoy! :cool:

We loved Nachi, too! Great food and drinks, relaxing atmosphere...just a great way to spend the day. And we got lucky and met another couple on our ship on another excursion in a different port and once we realized we were on another excursion together, we shared the cab with them to Nachi. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.