Rays, Reef, and Rumpoint

jeraboa66

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I checked the website, but I'm a little unclear on the details between the tours. Is Coral Gardens the same snorkeling site as the "reef"? Would Starfish Point be better than Rum Point for kids? Any insight here?

Been to Rum Point and Starfish Point. While starfish point is neat, it is rather limited. The starfish aren’t very exciting. Rum Point has a lot going on, including swimming, water toys, a bar (not for kids, but. Mom and dad need something, too). I have two kids, now grown, but I would bet both would have liked Rum Point better. One of my two would have hung out with the starfish for a while. The other would have been, “oh, neat, starfish! What’s next?”

Also, I am fairly certain that coral gardens is an area off Rum Point. It is probably technically part of the reef system, I do not believe it is commonly referred to as the “reef”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One qualifier. Although I said Starfish Point isn’t too exciting, it was my wife’s favorite part of the trip. Apparently live starfish “in the wild” can be exciting for some.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the review. I checked the website, but I'm a little unclear on the details between the tours. Is Coral Gardens the same snorkeling site as the "reef"? Would Starfish Point be better than Rum Point for kids? Any insight here?

When we did this tour in January, Solomon called the area where we snorkeled, "Coral Gardens." It's not far from Stingray City and Rum Point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Coral Gardens and the barrier reef are not the same. Coral Gardens is a fairly small, but nice, patch reef that's near Stingray City. The barrier reef is a long reef that runs roughly from near West Bay to near Rum Point. Trips that go there stop at some point along the reef, usually near Stingray City.

That said, although Nativeway's website says that the trip goes to the barrier reef, when we went (and it sounds like others, too) they went to Coral Gardens instead. I don't think they're the only tour that switches it up based upon the weather and their mood (it seems like). I prefer the barrier reef, but have seen more stingrays at Coral Gardens, and a few weeks ago, a moray eel.

Overall, it's a great trip that I definitely recommend, regardless of the exact location of the snorkeling stop.