Dune Buggy Tour

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:07 PM.
Calif
433 Posts
Joined May 2004
we did this through http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...eBuggyTour.htm
in 2007 not booked through RCL The only down side was there were only 2 families . My 2 boys then 20 and 17 wanted to be around more of a group and the other family had 2 small children. The guide guy led us to a beach to snorkel for awhile and then we drove to another area that had some shops like in a village area,there was an old church and we hung out there for awhile then went to another beach area where they made lunch then we drove again to another beach and then back to the start. I think we went around the island. There was a cooler in the car that was full of all drinks and I guess you can drive and drive in mexico. It really was fun but we did not go off road they said it was baned. The food was good the snorkeling was OK not great. Im not sure if we would do it again,Im not sure how much it would be to rent a jeep yourself but you would really get the same experience and do what you want.Maybe if we were with a bigger group it might have been more fun. But it was a lot cheaper than to book through cruise line.
2,906 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
[quote=Alibaster McGillicutty;19828268]
And they have an ice chest in each buggy with drinks (beer included!!!!) If you run out, just tell them, they will keep it full.
Originally posted by ssca

I read about the beer which I find quite amusing. Let's put people behind the wheel of the car and give them access to alcohol while driving.

It really was fun but we did not go off road they said it was baned.

That is one of the reasons we might choose to do a dune buggy in a different port.
Illinois
23 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
The one booked through the Celebrity Century did not offer alcohol at all - only bottled water and soft drinks. Our guide, Memo, even replied to someone asking that they don't allow drinking and driving because most people have enough trouble driving manual already! We also didn't go to a tequila factory. Guess we had the G rated dune buggy adventure, but it was still a great time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Century FRF Cruise - March 19, 2009

San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
in 2007 not booked through RCL The only down side was there were only 2 families . My 2 boys then 20 and 17 wanted to be around more of a group and the other family had 2 small children. The guide guy led us to a beach to snorkel for awhile and then we drove to another area that had some shops like in a village area,there was an old church and we hung out there for awhile then went to another beach area where they made lunch then we drove again to another beach and then back to the start. I think we went around the island. There was a cooler in the car that was full of all drinks and I guess you can drive and drive in mexico. It really was fun but we did not go off road they said it was baned. The food was good the snorkeling was OK not great. Im not sure if we would do it again,Im not sure how much it would be to rent a jeep yourself but you would really get the same experience and do what you want.Maybe if we were with a bigger group it might have been more fun. But it was a lot cheaper than to book through cruise line.
Was it difficult to find the meeting place. According to the confirmation we have to make our way to some memorial to meet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Pride 03/22/2009 Panama Canal
Spirit 10/13/2007 Exotic Mexico
Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
Liberty 12/10/05 Birthday Cruise
Inspiration 10/10/2004 Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride 12/28/2003 Mexico
Paradise 06/03/2001 Western Caribbean
Song Of Norway 12/11/1989 South Caribbean
San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
[quote=hazeleyez3;19839626]
Originally posted by Alibaster McGillicutty
And they have an ice chest in each buggy with drinks (beer included!!!!) If you run out, just tell them, they will keep it full.

That is one of the reasons we might choose to do a dune buggy in a different port.
Beer for all but the one who is driving is fine with me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
Ogden, UT
274 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I don't know if this is any different than the Jeep tour, but any chance you get to go to the other side of the island is a great one. I prefer it over there, much more quiet. The shrimp tacos at Senior Iguana's are great too, especially with a good Sol.

Whoever told you shopping near the pier is cheaper is saying that because they get a kickback. The farther you are from the piers, the cheaper the prices get.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Victory-May 2008
Westerdam August 5, 2018
Calif
433 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by PACURN
Was it difficult to find the meeting place. According to the confirmation we have to make our way to some memorial to meet.
We were just given an address and took a cab I think a memorial sounds familiar but I honestly don't remember. My kids all thought this was kind of weird but it all turned out fine. It was an office house type place and the dune buggies were in a lot next to it. It just seemed semi scary at first because we were not with a lot of people and you really don't know where you are going or where they are taking you. Im kind of paranoid, and you never know.
San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
We were just given an address and took a cab I think a memorial sounds familiar but I honestly don't remember. My kids all thought this was kind of weird but it all turned out fine. It was an office house type place and the dune buggies were in a lot next to it. It just seemed semi scary at first because we were not with a lot of people and you really don't know where you are going or where they are taking you. Im kind of paranoid, and you never know.
We are a group of 11 so I think we will be fine. It seems odd that they don't provide a shuttle of some sort. Usually tour companies do that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
2,906 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
[quote=PACURN;19848836]
Originally posted by hazeleyez3
Beer for all but the one who is driving is fine with me.

I don't know what the heck happened with that post.

Alibaster McGillicutty talked about the beer and my comment was the part of "I read about the beer which I find quite amusing. Let's put people behind the wheel of the car and give them access to alcohol while driving. "

The reason for booking in another port is because we were looking to be offroad.

Actually I am hesitant on booking this because of the alcohol...while its a bit amusing its also very stupid to me.
28 Posts
Joined May 2009
Seems like there are a lot of different buggy adventures in Cozumel. We booked the one through Royal Caribbean last week and we had a blast!! They were dune buggys, they did not have coolers in them that I was aware of, and our guide was pretty adamant about no alcohol, even passengers couldnt drink. Which was prolly a good idea since the people in the back weren't even strapped in.
The snorkeling was pretty good, better than Jamaica, but not the best ever. There was a little house with bathrooms that we went to before snorkeling so you could change if you wanted to. We just wore our bathing suits. After the snorkeling we took a 45 minute drive along the coast to a little beach bar/restaurant where we got a mexican buffet meal and some awesome pictures. The beach was kinda rocky in parts but there was a nice area to swim. After about an hour at the beach we drove back through the middle of the island and made a stop at the PeePee station. This was a neat little store but everything is more expensive than it is at the port. They don't have price tags on anything and you have to find someone that works there to get a price, you can haggle with them but not a whole lot. My wife wanted a PeePee station T shirt and they wanted 15 bucks for it which I thought was a rip off so I told him nevermind, then he said 12 and the wife really wanted it so she got it. It is a pretty funny shirt, I dunno about 12 dollars funny but whatever. After that we went back to port. I would HIGHLY recommend this excursion. This was our favorite on our cruise.

I'll check back in case anyone has any questions.
28 Posts
Joined May 2009
I forgot to mention, if you are a group of two they will make you ride with another group of two as opposed to giving you your own buggy. They make you switch drivers half way through. Just be aware. We were a group of four so no issue but there was a group of 2 (a guy and a girl) and the guy kept trying to convince the guide to let them have their own buggy, the guide made them ride with another couple. They didn't seem to happy.

Just a heads up
2,906 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by ezmofokine
I forgot to mention, if you are a group of two they will make you ride with another group of two as opposed to giving you your own buggy. They make you switch drivers half way through. Just be aware. We were a group of four so no issue but there was a group of 2 (a guy and a girl) and the guy kept trying to convince the guide to let them have their own buggy, the guide made them ride with another couple. They didn't seem to happy.

Just a heads up

Thanks. I was wondering about that myself...I'm starting to think we'll find something else to do in Cozumel and maybe do the dune buggy in Ocho Rios.
San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
We are a group of 11. 3 families so we would have 3 buggies I assume. Im looking forward to it. I see that we don't get to go offroading which is dissapointing. We spend weekends in the desert here in SoCal. in the winter. Dirt Bikes, ATVs, Dune Buggies ect... its a way of life here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
Texas
360 Posts
Joined May 2008
I was inquiring about what I believe is the same tour. I emailed them for additional information as I had heard stories in the past about car rentals in Mexico and how if there is an accident, the driver must pay any damage in CASH prior to leaving the country. It took several days to get a response, but below is what it was:

Here is our response from our operations manager in Cozumel:

In the event of an accident or damage to one of our Dune Buggies, depending on the circumstances, we (at DBT) judge the accident - it can be mechanical or wreckless driving. We have never had a "mechanical accident." However, if you are passing cars during the tour (which is not allowed), speeding, swerving or driving carelessly, you will be charged for the accident. In the long decade that we have had this tour, we've hardly had any accidents, in fact, I can't think of one right now. Our guides are very explicit in giving instructions.

Our insurance covers liability and hospital bills, but the client will have to pay the deductible and must pay it in Cash or Traveler's Checks. If there is damage done to our Dune Buggy, the client is charged in FULL for the damages and must pay in Cash or Traveler's Checks before leaving the island.

I want to make it very clear that accidents almost NEVER happen. Omar and Antonio, our guides, are very responsible and if they see a driver getting out of hand, they stop the group and warn the driver. I want to assure the person asking this question that as long as they follow our guides instructions, there's no way they will have an accident. We drive in a straight line around the island at a safe pace & with a safe distance between cars.

The Deductable is under $300usd by the way

Hope this information helps

I have decided to book the tour thru the ship and will confirm with them that threir insurance with cover any damages if they occur.
Crittenden, KY
291 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
We went on this dune buggy tour several years ago just a few days before the big hurricane hit there with this company and it was great. Definately less crowded than the cruise ship tours and you got to go off the beaten path. The dune buggies the cruise went with were in much better condition, but you will see why after you do the tour.

Originally posted by hazeleyez3
There were 2 I was looking at and I have no idea if either is offered through the ship...

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...eBuggyTour.htm

or

http://www.cozumel-tours.com/xrails-jade-caverns.htm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cyndi and Greg White, Crittenden, KY

Carnival Ecstasy, October 2018- 20th anniversary Cruise
RCCL, Grandeur of the Seas, St. Patrick's day cruise from Baltimore, 2018

RCCL Serenade of the Seas, Canada/ New England September 16, 2017
Celebrity Soltice, May 7, 2016 to Hawaii
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Pacific Coast, September 16, 2016
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, Canada/ New England, May 26, 2016

Celebrity Millenium, Alaska 2015
Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, 2013
RCCL Mediterranean, 2012
Celebrity Millennium, Pacific Coast, 2010
Carnival Valor- Mediterranean, October 18, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Alaska- May 29, 2009
Voyager of the Seas- October 18, 2008
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas- September 2007
Carnival Elation- October 2006
RCCL Monarch of the Seas- April 2006
Carnival Conquest- October 2005
RCCL Serenade of the Seas- September 2004
Carnival Fascination October- 2004
Norweigian Star October 2003
Carnival Triumph September 2002
Carnival Sensation October 2001
Carnival Destiny October 2000
Carnival Fascination October 1999
Carnival Ecstasy October 1998
12 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hi Ezmofokine!

I originally posted a separate post about this but didn't get much response. I was looking for someone who had done this excursion thru RCI. Can you tell me approx how long you were on the beach for snorkeling? Is there more than one beach stop? My kids can't wait to get into the crystal clear waters and I'm hoping we get a decent time to enjoy the waters. Also, how was the food? What did they offer??? I'm a little hesitant to eat anything off the ship. Don't want to take a chance getting sick but obviously, you didn't. Maybe it's ok??? Did you stop at some lighthouse? and Punta Sur??? Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
Maryland
12 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
We did the http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...eBuggyTour.htm a few months back and it was great. That day there were 6 4-person buggys going and we followed the leader around the island. Depending upon the number of people you may have to share the the buggy with another couple. With the Ship excursion you get the buggy right at the pier. This one we had to take a cab into town. ( $6?)
Not a big deal and you got lots of shopping and restaurants available to you before or after the tour. The tour guy was waiting right on the main street for everyone and then we had to walk two blocks to the tour location. We really didn't do any "off road" or even beach driving that day. I wish we would have driven on the beach. Had cooler full of drinks....plenty of beer. Beach break with snorkeling and a great lunch right on the beach. Tequila factory was great, lot and lots of samples. Amazing sites around the island. The cost is about the same as the ship but you also get beer and a great lunch!!
San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
MDcruiser - What kind of things did you see. I guess I mean where there stops and sightseeing, the lighthouse maybe?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
Maryland
12 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
No lighthouses, at least on our tour.
We started in downtown and then went southwest past the cruise ships. Stopped at a small town El Cedra. Old Mayan town with old small church and some vendors. Past a bunch of the beaches from other tours. Saw some of the undeveloped parts of Cozumel. Drove along the great coastline. A few stops along the beach for amazing photos. Lunch break on beach with swimming. Had a stop a Antigua Tequila (Tequilla Factory), tour on how they make the tequilla, Then got samples. Nice drive back to town. Fun time and nice way to spend a day.
Having that many people, You may be better off renting a few jeeps for the day.
Oklahoma/Missouri
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Does anyone know of a tour that my husband and I wont have to share a buggy with someone? Thanks!