Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:39 PM.
1,503 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally Posted by hayesktrm
Really? I disagree when people say a cruise ship is a city. What city can you not get off of. If there are all these predators (which I haven't heard about) they will most likely get caught because all the suspects would be on board
Even if people cannot get off the ship midsea, how long do you think they can be kept onboard? They cannot keep us indefinitely. It's called false imprisonment.

Someone also stated earlier that they have pics of everyone onboard. There are privacy issues with showing these pics. How would you feel if your husband, brother, father , son or your own pic was shown to a child as a potential pedophile?

And before anyone says it, most children cannot give an accurate description for an arrest, in my opinion. Ask a child to describe someone and they might say they are old. Do you remember being 8 and thinking 22 was old?

I feel was have 2 jobs as parents. One is to raise our children to be healthy adults who contribute to society. The other is to protect them on this journey.

How we do it is up to us. Who is to say your way is better than mine? Or vice versa?
Utah
1,802 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by hayesktrm
Really? I disagree when people say a cruise ship is a city. What city can you not get off of. If there are all these predators (which I haven't heard about) they will most likely get caught because all the suspects would be on board...and they have A LOT of cameras. I wish when you had a crime in a city you could just lock down the city and that there would only be about 3,000 suspects...I bet crime would be a lot less. My kids have been cruising for years and they know not to go into anyone's cabin, period. I think a cruise is a great place for kids to learn some independence (when they're ready). I am very protective of my kids, but I think I have done them a disservice sometimes because they don't know how to do so many things that I learned as a kids because I had the opportunity.
Don't have a clue, do you?
Utah
1,802 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Sherrybaby412

I feel was have 2 jobs as parents. One is to raise our children to be healthy adults who contribute to society. The other is to protect them on this journey.
Could not have said it better. Thank you.
New Mexico
19 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I don't know if the OP was a troll or not, but this has actually got me thinking about how I want to handle CC with my 12 year-old in December. Believe me, she will not be allowed to sign herself out without giving us a check-in call, first.

So, no matter if true or not, this post SHOULD be driving discussions between parents and their cruising children.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Diego, CA., USA
4,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
I think it is our responsabilty as parents to teach our kids what to do if something such as the OP situation was. Both my kids absolutly know what to do. They know to head back to the cabin and wait there untill we come. They know where to go for help should they need it.
My oldest child has Down Syndrome and can navigate the ship better than me. I must admit though, on the last 4 cruises we have picked the same room each time and it is Spirit Class ship each time, so I guess there is an advantage there.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

We Surround Them.
The 9.12 Project.

Pride 03/22/2009 Panama Canal
Spirit 10/13/2007 Exotic Mexico
Spirit 10/02/2006 Hawaii
Liberty 12/10/05 Birthday Cruise
Inspiration 10/10/2004 Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride 12/28/2003 Mexico
Paradise 06/03/2001 Western Caribbean
Song Of Norway 12/11/1989 South Caribbean
Philadelphia,PA 19135
4,822 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by PACURN
I think it is our responsabilty as parents to teach our kids what to do if something such as the OP situation was. Both my kids absolutly know what to do. They know to head back to the cabin and wait there untill we come. They know where to go for help should they need it.
My oldest child has Down Syndrome and can navigate the ship better than me. I must admit though, on the last 4 cruises we have picked the same room each time and it is Spirit Class ship each time, so I guess there is an advantage there.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.
Four kids and no matter what we have taught them.. all four react to different situations in different manners. They themselves react differently depending on their location, their mood, the amount of sleep they had the night before and a host of other reasons.

I myself handle situations differently dependent on the circumstances. I think I am a tough cookie, NOTHING scares or frightens me (outside the children and loved ones thing). But could I have a melt down? Sure I could. If I'm sick, alone, tired, and in a strange environment is it more likely to happen? I think so.

I'm not a fan of blanket statements. Teach your children this and if you do that everything is going to go by your plan. "My children would never" and If you raised your kid like I'm raising mine the world would be a better place." My mother taught me a whole lot of stuff, did I always practice what I was taught.. hmm. NO.

Raising children is a wing and a prayer. I've seen too many wonderful caring parents raise excellent citizens and also have a child who is a dredge on society. I've also seen too many useless parents raise excellent citizens and they never did a thing right.

My 40th anniversary of being a mother is around the corner and the only thing I've learned in 40 years is that I don't have all the answers. 40 years ago of course I thought I did. I cringe when I look back at the "I'm going to be the best parent, my child will never" person.

Some how I can't figure how it managed to become a slam on this poster's parenting skills. There was a little girl upset enough to cry. Whether or not your child would have reacted the same way is not relevant. The fact that this child needed better from the staff is what is important.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Leftovers in their less visible form are called memories. Stored in the refrigerator of the mind and the cupboard of the heart. — Robert Fulghum
email add. screen name at aol dot com

WEST VIRGINIA
6,103 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
..................... I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.

PACURN,

No flames from me. Just complete agreement.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CLICK HERE to contact me.
CarnivalCruiser.net
CLICK HERE for our cruise pics CarnivalCruiser.info
CLICK HERE for our cruise pics on Flickr

CLICK HERE for Breeze Cruise slideshow. Pics are hosted on my OWN site and should display properly

Pictures hosted on my own site and WILL display properly;
Carnival Pride Spring Break '14 Review
Pictures hosted on Flickr and should display properly;
Carnival Breeze 2013 8 day Southern Review
Pictures in these reviews are hosted at Fotki and should display properly;
Carnival Liberty 2012 Western Review
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Review

WebShots Sux and sold out so NONE of the pictures in the reviews listed below will display;
CARNIVAL Dream Western Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Liberty B2B Review
CARNIVAL Destiny B2B Review
CARNIVAL Legend Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Freedom Eastern Spring Break Review
CARNIVAL Glory Eastern Spring Break Review
Upcoming Cruises:

Carnival.com has a new appearance and some old links are not easily located. Log on to Carnival.com then CLICK HERE to view your previous cruises.

My advice is based on my personal experience and is biased by my opinion and personality. Feel free to take it or leave it, but don't plan on changing me. If you disagree, please bear in mind that I am content to be wrong in your opinion.
DeLand, Florida
11,623 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Sherrybaby412
I am in total agreement with you. The OP shouldn't expect Carnival or anyone else to protect their children and shouldn't blame them when they failed at their obligations. The OP should own up to their responsibilities as parents. Either don't sign for the child to check themselves out or be there on time to pick them up. This thread has opened up some good dialogue. Disagreement but not much flamming. I have learned from this thread and I hope others have too. Don't think I will allow grandson to check himself out next time. I trust him, but.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike & Laurie
Semper Fi

7 Norwegian Star, October 2003 Hawaii
7 Carnival Glory, October, 2005 Eastern Caribbean
7 Carnival Triumph, May 2006 Western Caribbean
7 Carnival Miracle, Western Caribbean Valentines on the Miracle 2007
4 Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean, February 2008
7 Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, April 2008 Freedom Floaters
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel. October 2008
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2009
7 Carnival Legend, Laurie's 50th Birthday Bash, Western Caribbean, May 17,2009
4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2009, our first RCL Cruise
8 Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean, Jan 2010
7 Carnival Glory, Our Platinum Cruise, May 2010
7 Carnival Dream, Dreamin with the Crazies, November 2010
7 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean Explorer, Jan 2011
7 Carnival Dream, Western Caribbean, Oct 2011
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2012

4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2012
4 Carnival Paradise, Cozumel, Mar 2013
7 Carnival Dream, 10th Anniversary, October 2013
3 Majesty of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, January 2014
8 Carnival Miracle, Alaska , September 2014
Next: Still looking.
124 Days at Sea
208 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I have a question for those in law enforcement. What is the age that you can LEGALLY leave your child alone. I'm assuming its 13 because when I do my taxes it allows for child care until the age of 13. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also just want to make a point here, although I have a few personal experiences that I'm not willing to share, I'd like to share this one.

When I was about 10 or 11 I mentioned to some neighborhood kids that I over heard something that I shouldn't have overheard, which involved my mom. BIG MISTAKE. From that day on, for years, the neighborhood bully threatened to tell my mother that I told everybody this story. I was petrified that my mother would find out. He tortured me for years and one time even pulled me into his apartment and put a knife to my throat just to scare me. I never told any of this to my mom as I was afraid the bully would tell on me.

Anyhows, my point is that things happen and alot of times the kids don't tell because they've been threatened or whatever so the fact that these people can leave the ship makes no difference if its not reported.
Nebraska
4,711 Posts
Joined May 2006
Totally agree with this comment, I believe kids SHOULD know what to do in case of emergency or if they get separated, mine always knew the place they should go in case of separation.
I am just not for letting 9 and 10 year olds go about by themselves, I think it's borrowing trouble. But to give info on what to do? Absolutely!!!
Mission, TX
3,816 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
DS is about to enter JR high at age 12 and many student do this at 11. The number of sudents and staff is comprable to that of a mid-sized a cuise ship (not a city). I am quite certain that the per capita incidents of "bad things" is higher in the Jr. High. Yet DS WILL travel from class to class go in early stay late - we will worry much more about him there than going from the Pizza buffet to the show room with his sister.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 11/19/2017 aboard the Carnival Breeze! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Liberty OTS II 6/17, New Years Dream 2017 Carnival Dream,
Carnival Legend Alaska 7/16, Liberty OTS to PAYA BAY and other Fun Places! 6/16
Caribbean Princess-Christmas 2015 to Cozumel. Navigator Thanksgiving 2014 (So nice we did it Twice!),
Oasis OTS Western C 6/14(best cruise EVER!), Navigator OTS Western C Thanksgiving 2013,
Carnival Magic West 8/12,
Celebrity Summit to Bermuda - May, 2010,
Conquest III(The Search for Crackerjack)4/09, C ECSTASY B2B 11/08,
NCL Spirit-Central America 11/07, C Conquest II West C 1/07 - C Conquest 10/06 - West C, Voyager OTS 11/05 - Repo,
NCL Star - Mex 3/05, Mariner OTS II - West C (The Wrath of Ivan) 9/04, Mariner OTS East C 1/04, Inspiration West C 4/03,
C Pride East C 10/02, Century West C 1/02, Empress Bermuda 9/01,
Victory Canada - 9/00, NCL Crown West C -4/97, C Jubilee Mex - 2/94
New Orleans
4,316 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by 11legend
I have a question for those in law enforcement. What is the age that you can LEGALLY leave your child alone. I'm assuming its 13 because when I do my taxes it allows for child care until the age of 13. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also just want to make a point here, although I have a few personal experiences that I'm not willing to share, I'd like to share this one.
Most states don't have any laws concerning this - a few do, and it ranges from 8 to 13. We live in Louisiana, and there is no law dictating how old children must be to be home alone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebration 5-98, Holiday 9-03, Conquest 10-03, Sensation 1-05, Conquest 11-05, Fantasy 12-06, Fantasy 12-06, Fantasy 9-07, NCL Spirit 12-07, Fantasy 1-08, Fantasy 4-08, Fantasy 10-08, Fantasy 11-08, Fantasy 1-09, Fantasy 4-09. FANTASY 5-09 7 DAY SWINE FLU CRUISE, Fantasy 9-09 NO KIDS!, Triumph 11-09, Triumph 1-10, Triumph 9-10, Triumph 1-11, Ecstasy 10-11, MAGIC 1-12, Elation 2-12, Conquest 1-13, Elation 9-13 MILESTONE CRUISE, Sunshine 12-13, Dream 9-14
New Orleans
4,316 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by nealstuber
DS is about to enter JR high at age 12 and many student do this at 11. The number of sudents and staff is comprable to that of a mid-sized a cuise ship (not a city). I am quite certain that the per capita incidents of "bad things" is higher in the Jr. High. Yet DS WILL travel from class to class go in early stay late - we will worry much more about him there than going from the Pizza buffet to the show room with his sister.
This is a really good point. We homeschool, but I hear some of the stories from the middle and high school kids in the neighborhood, and I agree that these kids face a much more perilous journey navigating a typical day in public school than they would being on their own the entire day on a cruise ship!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebration 5-98, Holiday 9-03, Conquest 10-03, Sensation 1-05, Conquest 11-05, Fantasy 12-06, Fantasy 12-06, Fantasy 9-07, NCL Spirit 12-07, Fantasy 1-08, Fantasy 4-08, Fantasy 10-08, Fantasy 11-08, Fantasy 1-09, Fantasy 4-09. FANTASY 5-09 7 DAY SWINE FLU CRUISE, Fantasy 9-09 NO KIDS!, Triumph 11-09, Triumph 1-10, Triumph 9-10, Triumph 1-11, Ecstasy 10-11, MAGIC 1-12, Elation 2-12, Conquest 1-13, Elation 9-13 MILESTONE CRUISE, Sunshine 12-13, Dream 9-14
nc
159 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Rowan555
Most states don't have any laws concerning this - a few do, and it ranges from 8 to 13. We live in Louisiana, and there is no law dictating how old children must be to be home alone.
NC its 8.. I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home alone!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Carolina
25,301 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by mariemorgan
Are we sure this even happened as the poster stated? .
How can we be 'sure' of anything ANYONE posts on here????
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/2017~Getaway 1/2018
Holland America: Eurodam 1/2018

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
208 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Toni12345
NC its 8.. I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home alone!!
8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.
Colorado
662 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by tink24
Does anyone find it odd that this is the OP's first post and the OP has not returned to respond to anything? Hmmmm....
Gosh, why would she? Many of you have made very harsh comments about her bad parenting in that her kiddo didn't make the precise decisions in rectifying her situation. Chances could be that the mom didn't anticipate a lot of things that maybe she should have. And it's a lesson for the rest of us when planning our next cruise with our kids. I sure know that I don't always have a contingency plan when I have my kids. I assume I will always be there. This post is a reminder to us all that we can't always protect our kids. This board can be entirely too judgmental.
Iowa/Texas
4,363 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I do not think it matters if the OP comes back or not. I do not care if she was lying or telling the truth. What I do care about is that parents may think it could happen and take precautions. Most of the Carnival ships are huge and you can get lost very easily. I am sure we all have been lost the first few days we are on the ship. But it is important that the children know where they should be, where their Stateroom is and where the Pursers Desk is and how to get there.

Just my 2 cents.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:

09/18/1988 - Carnivale - Bahamas
09/18/1993 - Holiday - Western Caribbean
09/23/2003 - Spirit - Hawaii
09/11/2008 - Splendor - Europe
08/05/2009 - Spirit - Alaska
01/14/2010 - Ecstasy - Western Caribbean
09/25/2011 - Magic - Europe

DeLand, Florida
11,623 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by 11legend
8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.
Remember, most ships are not American flagged ships. Laws could be different on the ships just as they are different in each state.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike & Laurie
Semper Fi

7 Norwegian Star, October 2003 Hawaii
7 Carnival Glory, October, 2005 Eastern Caribbean
7 Carnival Triumph, May 2006 Western Caribbean
7 Carnival Miracle, Western Caribbean Valentines on the Miracle 2007
4 Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean, February 2008
7 Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, April 2008 Freedom Floaters
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel. October 2008
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2009