Can not check in at Ft Lauderdale airport until 4 hours before flight

George C

You can always pay to store your bags at FLL if you are too early to check them in, and then head out somewhere for lunch or maybe the water taxi for a couple of hours.

To expand on John's excellent suggestion. Bags to Go (http://www.bagstogo.net) luggage storage is available in each FLL terminal.

We've found this to be true for years although it used to be 3 hours, at least with U.S. Airways (since gobbled up by American). As mentioned, there is luggage storage at FLL for a fee though we've never used it.

When we arrived too early at FLL, we just sat quietly in the airport reading magazines and playing a game of Scrabble. DH also checked his emails. We had to wait a couple of hours before being able to check in. It wasn't too bad.

When we arrived too early at FLL, we just sat quietly in the airport reading magazines and playing a game of Scrabble. DH also checked his emails. We had to wait a couple of hours before being able to check in. It wasn't too bad.

I would find it less of an inconvenience if there were more food, beverage, and shopping option outside of security at FLL.

Roz

I would find it less of an inconvenience if there were more food, beverage, and shopping option outside of security at FLL.

Roz

Same here. The luggage storage would be great, but for five of us, it was too expensive. We could have rented a car for the cost but for five hours, spending the time to rent the car, get it, go get something to eat, outside the airport, return the car, check in the luggage. Even after we were able to check our luggage in, get past security, the waiting area was so crowded there were as many people sitting on the floor as there were occupying the chairs. The line at some of the places to get your fast food took 45 minutes. That airport is soo small. It needs an overhaul.

The last time we flew out of FLL we arrived at Delta little more than 4 hour before our flight. I asked the gal that checked us in if we were to early and see stated not right now (8am). I asked why the 4 hours, and she stated because when a lot of ships are in port they have a problem with a backup of baggage. Then I realized all the baggage I saw when just our ship was in port.

Brother and SIL had same issue at MCO post cruise last weekend. Flying SW from MCO and couldn't check in until 4 hours prior. They had a 6:00 flight and arrived at MCO at noontime; two hours sitting w/ luggage.

Roz

I wish they would add more logical options inside as well. We flew out of the new Southwest terminal a few weeks ago and couldn't believe the continued lack of quick food options. While there was a burger and a taco place, both of those had 20+ minute waits for food that day.

While I'm not the biggest fan of fast food, sometimes it just makes sense. I'd rather order McDonald's breakfast than wait over 20 minutes for an egg & cheese sandwich like I did a few weeks ago. I know there is a Starbucks, but it's not as if they have a lot of decent food items.

Too bad they couldn't use some of the space between terminals A and B to put in some sort of food court. Having options for something quick and with some variety is what that airport really needs. I fly through BWI a lot and appreciate the options (both sit-down and counter service) there.

Brookie, agree with you totally. FLL is pitiful when it comes to food options. Concessions generate income for the airport authority. Don't know if the remodel will include more concessions or simply more gate seating, although I would definitely be grateful for a comfortable place to sit.

Our Nashville airport offers all kinds of food choices, many of them locally owned.

Roz

I'm sorry if I remembered it as 3 hrs. and not 4 hrs.. Please accept my apology for posting wrong information. I did not intentionally mean to mislead anyone or post erroneous information.

Roz

I have arrived at Fll on more than a few occasions when my flight was several hours later. I go directly to the sky cap with gratuity in hand and my luggage is taken and fresh boarding passes are given to me. EZPZ

I have arrived at Fll on more than a few occasions when my flight was several hours later. I go directly to the sky cap with gratuity in hand and my luggage is taken and fresh boarding passes are given to me. EZPZ

I've never had that happen. And I'm a tipper. Were these weekday flights when there aren't cruise ship passengers or very few?

Roz