Plan ahead for Dublin Cruise port embarkation/disembarkation

luv2cruisecats

We are booked on the 5/20 Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Dublin and are very excited about this bucket list journey. Since this port is not set up for large ships using it as a home port the embarkation process currently involves being taken by your cab to a building a few city blocks from where the Eclipse is actually docked. The solution (at least right now) is to check in and drop your bags in what is called Terminal 7 and then being bussed over to the ship itself (you are not allowed to walk due to truck traffic). Taxi drivers not aware of this take you to the ship first and then are redirected to Terminal 7. Because of all this the 2400+/- passengers are given a drawn out arrival time process by Celebrity based on Deck number over a 4 hour window to avoid a huge bottleneck due to the small check in location. As of a few days ago Celebrity Miami was still telling people to go straight to the ship location which is wrong. Just a heads up everyone.

Upon disembarkation the process involves about 2400 people getting off the ship over perhaps a 1-1/2 to 2 hour window with most looking for a taxi ride to where ever...and a huge queue of passengers lining up for the next cab. Some on the T/A disembarkation have reported an hour or more wait in line. We have booked the ships transfer to get us back to the airport ($31 each but well worth it) for a 12:55 flight back to the US. The wonderful thing about DUB is that you clear US customs at the airport and your flight is considered a domestic flight...great for your carefree arrival in the US. Not so wonderful is they require you to be at DUB for US flights 3 hours ahead. Celebrity rightly refuses a ships transfer if you departure is before noon. Just plan ahead.

I think it is fantastic that Celebrity is using Dublin as a home port but you need to plan accordingly for it being a small port. You essentially get your long delayed Irish vacation for "free"!!!

THANKS AGAIN for posting all of this. It would be great if you cut and pasted it to the British Isles board.

Our 11:30am departure was making me worry. I've done all I can - purchased Fast Track for Dublin Airport security and I'm in the process of arranging for a taxi. And I'll let X know that we need to self disembark as early as possible (just carryon luggage anyway).

I was going to inquire about an X transfer, but based on what you've said, they won't sell us one.

But there's little I can do. So I'm just gonna enjoy our trip and deal with it as necessary.

This has been a frustrating morning. We are flying out today for Paris and then flying to Dublin on the 18th. We have a rent car after getting off the cruise and B&B reservations that night so time is critical. We do not have time to wait in line for a taxi for two hours to take us to the car rental location which is probably a 10 min taxi ride. Trying to book a private taxi and we can't get the websites to recognize terminal 7's location. Can anyone tell us an address for where we will be after getting our luggage when we depart the Eclipse?

Talking about a shambles at Dublin port. I arrived on Eclipse April 30 and still waiting for my luggage. I am at home in NYC May 12 and have received little help from Celebrity. Thought being Elite plus would have helped. At my wits end

Talking about a shambles at Dublin port. I arrived on Eclipse April 30 and still waiting for my luggage. I am at home in NYC May 12 and have received little help from Celebrity. Thought being Elite plus would have helped. At my wits end

Sorry to hear you are still without luggage ... could you explain a bit more about your situation? What entity (Celebrity or airline) was in possession of your luggage when it went AWOL? Any additional information would be very helpful to those of us on upcoming Dublin based cruises. Thanks!

THANKS AGAIN for posting all of this. It would be great if you cut and pasted it to the British Isles board.

Our 11:30am departure was making me worry. I've done all I can - purchased Fast Track for Dublin Airport security and I'm in the process of arranging for a taxi. And I'll let X know that we need to self disembark as early as possible (just carryon luggage anyway).

I was going to inquire about an X transfer, but based on what you've said, they won't sell us one.

But there's little I can do. So I'm just gonna enjoy our trip and deal with it as necessary.

I was on the 30th April debarkation with the Celebrity bus transfer to the airport.

My flight was 11:10 am to London.

Bus leaving the terminal at 7:30am and it took only 20 minutes to airport terminal.

Had pretty of time to spare at the airport.

When going through the US custom at Dublin,there is an officer directs Global entry holders to a special line.That will really shorten the time if you do have it.

Edited by verizon

I don't think there is any thing that Celebrity can do.Its all the custom fault about handling your luggages at Dublin airport.

I don't think there is any thing that Celebrity can do.Its all the custom fault about handling your luggages at Dublin airport.

Or the airline(s) involved.

I refuse to check luggage when we are on our way to a trip. Carry on only (trust me - it can be done. One month trips in carry on.) On the way back, if there is no charge, I let them take the bag. I keep HOPING they will lose it on the way home. Then they will give me money and I'll go shopping! Alas, it's only gone missing once - 30 years ago on the way to a trip. NEVER AGAIN.

This has been a frustrating morning. We are flying out today for Paris and then flying to Dublin on the 18th. We have a rent car after getting off the cruise and B&B reservations that night so time is critical. We do not have time to wait in line for a taxi for two hours to take us to the car rental location which is probably a 10 min taxi ride. Trying to book a private taxi and we can't get the websites to recognize terminal 7's location. Can anyone tell us an address for where we will be after getting our luggage when we depart the Eclipse?

Per Cruisestitch on a different Dublin thread:

"Leaving the ship on disembarkation day, the luggage is all placed in a large tent adjacent to the ship. Taxis are allowed to drive right up to the ship, the problem is that there are so few of them that the queues have been very long."

I copy this from previous thread on Transatlantic April 15. Hope its helpful.

PS. Taxi's are VERY sparse at the port so if you going that route then get off the ship as early as you can and get in line quickly....our taxi driver into town called it "disorganized chaos" but even at that we didn't have too long a wait.

We were saved by having ordered a taxi to pick us up at the Dublin port and bring us to the airport.

There was lots of chaos with taxis having been sent to wrong destinations at the port.

Our taxi company arrived only a few minutes late despite the mix ups.

Do book with Dublin Airport Transfers Service

City Airport Taxis

+44 2035296985

The US custom and security is in airside after the check in and Ireland security.

The entrance to US custom and security is just next to my gate to London.

When I was at the gate waiting area I still saw a lot of passengers went through the entrance for Flights to US.

When you read the posts on the transatlantic Cruise.

There were many saying the check in counter only open 2 -2 1/2 hour before the flights time.

They had quiet a wait.

Edited by verizon

We just recently debarked the Eclipse on May 10th. Six of us had prearranged a taxi from Tommy's Taxi to pick us up at 8:15. We had a 10:45 flight to London. About 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise we were told the walk off would start at 8:30 so we emailed and changed the pick up to 8:30. The night before we were again told the walk off would start at 8:30 so we went down at 7:30 and there was already a long queue. The line started moving at 7:45 and we were off just before 8. A call to the taxi and he was there by 8:20 and we were at the airport before 9. The line up for taxis was very long. I would recommend you pre booking if you can.

We are booked on the 5/20 Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Dublin and are very excited about this bucket list journey. Since this port is not set up for large ships using it as a home port the embarkation process currently involves being taken by your cab to a building a few city blocks from where the Eclipse is actually docked. The solution (at least right now) is to check in and drop your bags in what is called Terminal 7 and then being bussed over to the ship itself (you are not allowed to walk due to truck traffic).

Thanks for the helpful info, luv2cruisecats. Will a Celebrity ship dock at the same place an NCL ship docks? Since it is a small port, I am guessing maybe there is only room for one ship and all ships dock in the same spot?

We just recently debarked the Eclipse on May 10th. Six of us had prearranged a taxi from Tommy's Taxi to pick us up at 8:15. We had a 10:45 flight to London. About 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise we were told the walk off would start at 8:30 so we emailed and changed the pick up to 8:30. The night before we were again told the walk off would start at 8:30 so we went down at 7:30 and there was already a long queue. The line started moving at 7:45 and we were off just before 8. A call to the taxi and he was there by 8:20 and we were at the airport before 9. The line up for taxis was very long. I would recommend you pre booking if you can.

Does Tommy’s Taxis have a website or email? Thanks

Celebrity also failed miserably on the busses from the ship to Dublin airport. We told them we needed to go to Terminal one. ALL the busses went to Terminal two. Took almost an hour to get wheelchair assistance to get from Terminal 2 to Terminal one. Shame on Celebrity.:(

Or the airline(s) involved.

I refuse to check luggage when we are on our way to a trip. Carry on only (trust me - it can be done. One month trips in carry on.) On the way back, if there is no charge, I let them take the bag. I keep HOPING they will lose it on the way home. Then they will give me money and I'll go shopping! Alas, it's only gone missing once - 30 years ago on the way to a trip. NEVER AGAIN.

To each his own. I live out of a carry on for work and when I go on cruise vacation, I want to take extra clothes and not wear the same thing over and over and over. IMHO, the key to not losing bags in Europe is to have non stop flights from the US with as few connections as possible in the US. I do agree with the bags on the return flight - at that point I don't care. I had lost bags once in Amsterdam for a connection to Copenhagen and then last August I let them talk me into checking my carry on at the gate and it got stuck in Atlanta. Both times my bags made it to my hotel or the ship. Also, I always go in a day or two early, so that also helps.

There really isn't much I can't buy on the ship if the very worst thing happens and all I really need to board is my passport and a credit card.

Celebrity also failed miserably on the busses from the ship to Dublin airport. We told them we needed to go to Terminal one. ALL the busses went to Terminal two. Took almost an hour to get wheelchair assistance to get from Terminal 2 to Terminal one. Shame on Celebrity.:(

We disembarked on the 30th and our driver told us upfront that they only went to terminal 2, which is where we needed to be. I'm not sure why they couldn't make the extra stop at terminal 1.

I do think the transfer from the ship to the airport was quick and efficient. The people in the baggage claim area couldn't have been more helpful, ( my husband also uses a wheelchair), and claiming our bags and getting them loaded on the bus was easy.

I don't get it .

I thought every one have to claim their luggages at the tent beside the ship before they leave the terminal.

:confused:

John - I don't understand either. Why did you leave the terminal w/o your bags? The ship was in port all day - ample time to locate them if they were still on the ship.

Be careful when putting blame on Celebrity for things which are out of their control. Such as stopping at terminal 2 only and needing an hour to arrange wheelchair transfer to terminal 1. These things are not Celebrity’s fault.....they do not run the airport services!

We were also on Eclipse for the B2B and disembarked on May. You MUST prearrange a pickup to stay over a night as we did. The line was very long waiting on taxis. Celebrity warned everyone on board about the shortage of ground transport as we were sailing. We were unable to secure transport prior to the trip so we opted for the ship transfer to the airport. When we arrived at the the Dublin airport we took the Premier Inn shuttle to the hotel and stayed overnight. The line waiting for taxis was very long and it was very cold. You do not want your wonderful cruise to end this way. The Dublin airport International terminal is not suited for large numbers of passengers. It is very uncomfortable and the gates are nothing like you see at most airports. We talked to several passengers during our cruise regarding their transport plans. Many just blew it off and said, Oh, we will just get off and hail a cab. Trust me, it cannot be done. The end of our journey still did not end well. Delta flight to JFK delayed three hours, missed our connection to Tampa. Delta arranged for a flight from LGA with car service provided from JFK to LGA. Boarded the flight at LGA for Tampa, planed taxied out and then went back to gate with maintenance problem. Delta decided to disembark everyone to another airplane, so after being up for nearly 20 hours we hit u Delta up for a free night stay in the Marriott across the street from LGA. Delta did handle the situation well and provided us a flight the next day and hotel stay to get some rest. This was our third international flight and the third flight that has gone wrong. From now on we will no longer fly international. We will either take the QM2 as we did earlier this year or not go. The QM2 is the way to go. Nice 7 night cruise to UK and 7 nights back to US.

Be careful when putting blame on Celebrity for things which are out of their control. Such as stopping at terminal 2 only and needing an hour to arrange wheelchair transfer to terminal 1. These things are not Celebrity’s fault.....they do not run the airport services!

Celebrity contracted someone to carry out a for profit service on their behalf. The pricing for the service to Celebrity by the 3rd party would have been done on the basis of one terminal only. Celebrity is ultimately responsible.

Within each terminal there are dedicated resources to provide wheelchair assistance - these are booked via the airlines on the assumption that the person requiring the service will arrive in the correct terminal. They will also transfer between terminals if required and notified in advance. Again it comes down to the first decision in contracting a service to T2 only.

And in this case it was clearly not the airport.

But, the blame on arrival for difficulties with taxi availability etc does not lie with Celebrity. That lies with the port. If they are not capable to handle the capacity they should not home port. But, as others have mentioned there were two traffic incidents that day which were a contributory cause including the closing of the port tunnel which is the main artery to the airport from the port.