Recent Cruise Ship Jumping Tragedies (MERGED)

Well RCI and Carnival each had a jumper in the same week recently and now Carnival has another one. When are folks going to learn? This is getting a bit ridiculous.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4936066.html

I read the article and the comments after. Is this truly the young man that suffered abuse by a group of hooligans last year here in Houston? :confused:

I'm a bit curious. What leason are people suppose to learn? Not jumping off a moving, or stationary ship is pretty obvious. Since no mention is made of being drunk that leaves mental illness or an accident of some sort. Personally I think that as cruising gets more popular and pax increase, death by an accident or suicde are bound to follow. The leason that needs to be learned is by the cruise industy as a whole. No i do not blame Carnival or any other line directly. But I do believe that they need to be alert to risk management of the guests. Just as bars are responsible to turn away people that are drunk so to cruise lines need to be proactive(and I believe they are more so now that a few years ago) in caring for the guests. I do not suggest a Big Brother approch but more like a simple taxi. The taxi driver and company need to make sure the cab is in correct working order. The doors and locks should function correctly. However they can't be held responsible for the guy who opens the door and jumps from a moving cab. People are fragile and many times just plain stupid. I am sorry for his family. The loss must be terrible!:(

Don't discount suicide. With the increase in overboard passengers, suicidal people would be more likely to jump off a cruise ship. 1- It wouldn't look like suicide based on all the recent overboards 2- don't have to worry about friends or family finding them 3- may think families might benefit from a lawsuit with the cruise line. Sadly, a lot of "car accidents" aren't really accidents, either. In any case, it is always tragic.

Hopefully not, but If things continue it's only a matter of time till the screens

and wire mesh goes up.

john

If folks want to jump from a ship they do not need a balcony to do so. There are enough upper decks for that. I don't see the cruise lines cutting back on balcony cabins.

I read the article and the comments after. Is this truly the young man that suffered abuse by a group of hooligans last year here in Houston? :confused:

The person has not been identified so there is no way to know that. As someone else in the blogs asked' date='

MelanieVik72 wrote:

Where in the article does it mention the identity of the victim?

7/1/2007 5:27:55 PM

The article states

Gulliksen said the passenger was recovered by the crew about a half-hour later and brought on board, where he was pronounced dead. He has not been identified

Oh,very sad.

Just left Galveston and saw Rhapsody and Conquest pass right in front of us and off into the sunset.The ocean brings me so much comfort,I guess to others,its a different feeling...

What they are eluding to in the blog,although I don't know where this person got their info is that this is the same teen that endured a horrific attack that I wont even begin to try to discuss here,but he was in a coma for quite a while,and very nearly died numerous times.This happened I guess over a year ago, at a party in his own home and he and his family have just begun to talk openly some about it.To say it was a hate crime,does not do it justice.

So if this is the same person, my heart really really goes out to his family and to him.What this child faced was way more than the avg child could take.This really should have been reconsidered before they took him on a cruise...All specualtion of course...No idea if this is the young man.

30 minutes is an excellent recovery time. Too bad they didn't pull him aboard alive.

30 minutes is a long time to tread water for most people. It would even be more difficult for a non swimmer, or someone hurt in the fall.

Well RCI and Carnival each had a jumper in the same week recently and now Carnival has another one. When are folks going to learn? This is getting a bit ridiculous.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4936066.html

I think this one is a little different, (although I am sure every jumper who isn't drunk would have a distressing story.) This young lad had been through a rape, had 30 surgeries, was facing more - and was tired of being identified as "that kid". In this case putting his physical body back together, and one would assume some counselling for his psychological trauma, was not enough. My prayers go out to his family as they cope with a continuing tragedy. I would not put him in the same group as the stupid people who get drunk and fall off, however tragic that also is.

Fran in Toronto

Oh,very sad.

Just left Galveston and saw Rhapsody and Conquest pass right in front of us and off into the sunset.The ocean brings me so much comfort,I guess to others,its a different feeling...

What they are eluding to in the blog,although I don't know where this person got their info is that this is the same teen that endured a horrific attack that I wont even begin to try to discuss here,but he was in a coma for quite a while,and very nearly died numerous times.This happened I guess over a year ago, at a party in his own home and he and his family have just begun to talk openly some about it.To say it was a hate crime,does not do it justice.

So if this is the same person, my heart really really goes out to his family and to him.What this child faced was way more than the avg child could take.This really should have been reconsidered before they took him on a cruise...All specualtion of course...No idea if this is the young man.

I was just thinking the same thing.

We were watching thme leave today from Sea Wolfe Park today. My heart just breaks for this family, after what they have gone through. This is really sad.

According to the news article link that Gordon posted in post #1 the teen was named and he had endured 30 surgeries plus needed more. He had been upset that everyone knew that he was the victim of such an attack. How very sad for him and his family, and for his friends who he was cruising with as well. :(

I think this one is a little different, (although I am sure every jumper who isn't drunk would have a distressing story.) This young lad had been through a rape, had 30 surgeries, was facing more - and was tired of being identified as "that kid". In this case putting his physical body back together, and one would assume some counselling for his psychological trauma, was not enough. My prayers go out to his family as they cope with a continuing tragedy. I would not put him in the same group as the stupid people who get drunk and fall off, however tragic that also is.

Fran in Toronto

I agree with you. The story now showing on the link that I attached is not the same story that was originally posted in the article. The first article gave very little info and did not even have the persons name. Only his age.

I agree with you. The story now showing on the link that I attached is not the same story that was originally posted in the article. The first article gave very little info and did not even have the persons name. Only his age.

Very sad indeed. Our prayers go out to his family and friends.

###

This whole situation is just heartbreaking. Looks like he wasn't getting all of the emotional/psychological support he needed after that brutal attack, and one can only wonder now what else could have been done to prevent him from continually feeling like "the kid".

His family must be beyond themselves after everything they've been through, and it's sad he chose to take his life to end his pain.

Im watching it on the news right now and they stated the family has been asked to come to Cozumel to identify the body but it is not confirmed it is him yet. We know that once they ask the family to identify, then odds are it is that person, but officially it is not confirmed yet.

Archived