Uber Portland Maine

Jennilee17

We are planning on using Uber to get around Portland Maine when we visit next month. We have never been to Portland before, are there enough Uber cars to go around? We were planning on taking an Uber to Fort Williams park and also Macworth island.

Thanks in advance for the help!

We are planning on using Uber to get around Portland Maine when we visit next month. We have never been to Portland before, are there enough Uber cars to go around? We were planning on taking an Uber to Fort Williams park and also Macworth island.

Thanks in advance for the help!

There should be sufficient uber cars. I don't believe there is much demand for them by cruise passengers, as so much is within walking distance.

I don't know why you chose those two sites, but I'll give my impressions (lived here 40+ years):

Mackworth Island: are you going for the trail and the views of Casco Bay? A closer and cheaper way to get virtually the same views is Portland's Eastern Prom/Fort Allen Park. Nice walking trail, beach, and views almost parallel to Mackworth. Uber is $10-14 each way. Eastern prom $0

Fort Williams: are you going for the Portland Head Light? A way to get a different perspective for photos of the Head Light is to get up about 45 minutes prior to docking in Portland, and the ship will sail close by the light, and you get her from the seaward perspective, or what mariners see when entering harbor. Uber is about $12-18 each way. Watching from the ship $0.

And, other ways to see the islands of Casco Bay are the Casco Bay Ferry mailboat run, or the Windjammer Portland cruises.

There should be sufficient uber cars. I don't believe there is much demand for them by cruise passengers, as so much is within walking distance.

I don't know why you chose those two sites, but I'll give my impressions (lived here 40+ years):

Mackworth Island: are you going for the trail and the views of Casco Bay? A closer and cheaper way to get virtually the same views is Portland's Eastern Prom/Fort Allen Park. Nice walking trail, beach, and views almost parallel to Mackworth. Uber is $10-14 each way. Eastern prom $0

Fort Williams: are you going for the Portland Head Light? A way to get a different perspective for photos of the Head Light is to get up about 45 minutes prior to docking in Portland, and the ship will sail close by the light, and you get her from the seaward perspective, or what mariners see when entering harbor. Uber is about $12-18 each way. Watching from the ship $0.

And, other ways to see the islands of Casco Bay are the Casco Bay Ferry mailboat run, or the Windjammer Portland cruises.

Thank you for the info! We’ve never been to Portland. We chose those places for our kids. It looks like fort Williams park has a children’s garden that looks really fun and we would get to see the Portland head. Macworth island has fairy houses all over the island, from what I read.

Do you have any better recommendations for families with young kids (4&6) having never been there I have no clue so I would love suggestions!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info! We’ve never been to Portland. We chose those places for our kids. It looks like fort Williams park has a children’s garden that looks really fun and we would get to see the Portland head. Macworth island has fairy houses all over the island, from what I read.

Do you have any better recommendations for families with young kids (4&6) having never been there I have no clue so I would love suggestions!!!

Well, mine are 30 and up, so both of these attractions post-date their time as young 'uns. My wife walks Mackworth trail some times, and has commented that the fairy houses are cute. We haven't been to Fort Williams in decades, so I don't know anything about the Children's Garden. As I say, we are a bit out of date with going to kid's exhibits (grandkids just now sprouting). Portland Children's Museum has always been a favorite of visitors (nationally ranked). There is the Portland Science Center, right on the waterfront, that has a shark exhibit, and is currently running a "real pirates" exhibit from National Geographic. There is the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, giving steam train rides on the Eastern Prom. There is the Portland Fire Engine Co that gives a 45 minute tour around the town in a vintage fire truck. The Portland Museum of Art has a children's "workshop" where kids can tinker and problem solve. Climb the Portland Observatory, the only remaining maritime signal tower in the US for incredible views out over Casco Bay and the Calendar Islands (so called because there are supposed to be one for each day of the year). If they're energetic, the windjammer cruises last an hour or 90 minutes, and they can assist in sailing these beautiful schooners around the Bay.

I will caution you about hiking the trails on Macworth. We have a VERY BAD situation here with ticks. Maine is ranked #1 for Lyme Disease and vector borne coinfections, with southern Maine the worst. I won't go hiking there for that reason. I'm from one of the islands in the bay. More than 50% of the residents have tested positive for Lyme. The other suggestions are much better choices for you and your children!

Uber cars are very available in Portland. There is also a UHaul car for rent at the corner of Commercial Street and the Maine State Pier. That's two blocks from the Ocean Gateway Pier or just outside the gate of the State Pier if you dock there. You can reserve it online. They will email you the code to get into the car. The keys are in it. You can't get more convenient than that!!

One thing to consider... we have strict child safety laws here regarding car seats for kids. I found this for you:

• Children who weigh less than 40 lbs. must ride in a child safety seat;
  • Children who weigh at least 40 lbs., but less than 80 lbs. and less than 8 yrs. old, ride in a federally approved child restraint system;

Public transportation and, I believe, car service is exempt. I don't think rentals are, though.

Also, you can not smoke in a vehicle if there are children in it.

I will caution you about hiking the trails on Macworth. We have a VERY BAD situation here with ticks. Maine is ranked #1 for Lyme Disease and vector borne coinfections, with southern Maine the worst. I won't go hiking there for that reason. I'm from one of the islands in the bay. More than 50% of the residents have tested positive for Lyme. The other suggestions are much better choices for you and your children!

Uber cars are very available in Portland. There is also a UHaul car for rent at the corner of Commercial Street and the Maine State Pier. That's two blocks from the Ocean Gateway Pier or just outside the gate of the State Pier if you dock there. You can reserve it online. They will email you the code to get into the car. The keys are in it. You can't get more convenient than that!!

One thing to consider... we have strict child safety laws here regarding car seats for kids. I found this for you:

• Childrenwho weigh less than 40 lbs. must ride in a child safety seat;
  • Childrenwho weigh at least 40 lbs., but less than 80 lbs. and less than 8yrs. old, ride in a federally approved child restraint system;

Public transportation and, I believe, car service is exempt. I don't think rentals are, though.

Also, you can not smoke in a vehicle if there are children in it.

Wow thank you for this advice!!! I would have never thought about ticks and Lyme disease. We will definitely find other things to do.

Is there such a thing a tick repellent? I need to look into that!

Also thank you for the info about car seats. I’m a freak about car seats so I always bring our inflatable boosters that meet all the federal requirements for child restraints!

Wow thank you for this advice!!! I would have never thought about ticks and Lyme disease. We will definitely find other things to do.

Is there such a thing a tick repellent? I need to look into that!

Also thank you for the info about car seats. I’m a freak about car seats so I always bring our inflatable boosters that meet all the federal requirements for child restraints!

This is a very bad year for ticks. I personally prefer a repellent (all insects including ticks) that contains high levels of Deet. Ben's has products that contain 100% Deet. Deet on skin is not recommended for small children, so you can get Ben's clothing spray, where you spray it on the clothes instead of the skin.

Are there any car rental companies besidee Uhaul that are within walking distance of the cruise port?

Thank you in advance.

The only other rental car company that's not at the airport is Enterprise, which is 1.5 miles away. They will pick you up at the pier, but their hours on Saturday are only until noon, if I remember right, so you may have to arrange an off-hour drop off and uber back.