Helicopter evacuation from Sea Princess

Sea Princess must be having bad luck, with a helicopter evacuation on 22nd/23rd November:). We returned this morning from the New Guinea cruise. On Monday 1st December a woman was air-lifted from the ship to be taken to Cairns Hospital. She had been ill for 24 hours, but PNG didn't have facilities for emergency evacuations. We cruised at top speed from Doini Island to 85km NE of Cairns.

The lady's husband told me this morning that their travel insurance wouldn't cover any of their expenses. The company claimed that the small print on the policy stipulated that they didn't cover people on cruise ships. I asked for the name of the company, but I didn't recognise it. The gentleman said they bought the policy on the internet and didn't realise it didn't cover cruising. Luckily, the evacuation would be free of charge because they are both Queenslanders and the service was treated the same as an ambulance trip which is free to Queenslanders. They only have to pay for the medical treatment on board ($6,800).

The lady's husband told me that his wife is doing well. She wanted to fly home today, but the Cairns doctor insists she wait until Sunday. He also said the crew on the ship were magnificent. They placed several phone call for him to the hospital and the Captain visited him three times during the four days on the ship after his wife's evacuation.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I think in everyone's interests it would be good to find out the name of this Insurance mob... if indeed they would not cover cruise ship passengers (it might be a case of undisclosed previously existing condition)

Perhaps someone might know.

:confused: :confused:

I think in everyone's interests it would be good to find out the name of this Insurance mob... if indeed they would not cover cruise ship passengers (it might be a case of undisclosed previously existing condition)

Perhaps someone might know.

:confused: :confused:

I'm sorry I didn't take more notice at the time. It wasn't a company I have ever heard of. We were in the queue to get off the ship.

A helicopter evacuation is pretty serious and pretty expensive. If you read the small print I think you may find that there are many Travel Insurance policies where that is an exclusion.

Also if the evacuation qualifies to be paid for by the taxpaxpayers , in this case the people of Queensland , I think any Insurance Company would opt out of paying . They dont need to if the taxpayers are happy to pick up the tab .

Hope the patient is recovering well and they can sort out the medical expenses. It would be a shock.

Note: Always know what you are buying and exactly what it covers.

We have had many threads discussing the issues and pitfalls of this type of situation. Live and learn.:D

You need to have emergency medical cover as ordinary medical cover does not include air evacuations. Perhaps this was it.

The lady's husband specifically said the fine print on his travel insurance excluded cover for people travelling on cruiseships. He also said that the on-board medical expenses of $6,800 would not be covered by his insurance.:(

I agree that as the emergency evacuation was covered by the Q'ld government, there would be nothing to claim. Our Travel Insurance Direct policy includes cover for 'evacuation'. On the worldwide plan this is unlimited.

Edited by Aus Traveller