Coup in Turkey

pamrose228

So will all the Turkey port stops be cancelled.?

I would expect that to be the case. Many cruise lines have already cancelled Istanbul, so I'd be surprised if it would put its passengers and investment in harms way of a country where the military have taken to the streets to overturn democracy.

Residents are being advised to stay in their homes.... Not a good place to visit to do a spot of sightseeing and shopping.

I would expect that to be the case. Many cruise lines have already cancelled Istanbul, so I'd be surprised if it would put its passengers and investment in harms way of a country where the military have taken to the streets to overturn democracy.

Residents are being advised to stay in their homes.... Not a good place to visit to do a spot of sightseeing and shopping.

No matter if the coup is successful or not, Turkey would not be a safe country to travel in under these conditions.

No matter if the coup is successful or not, Turkey would not be a safe country to travel in under these conditions.

We're due to stop there on Wednesday. It's definitely disappointing, but it won't be the end of the world. Maybe we'll get an extra day to explore Athens.

It appears the military have staged the coup because the elected president has been generally behaving increasingly like a dictator rather than a democratically elected leader, clamping down on a critical press and arresting opponents. His government have also been seen to be leaning towards giving support to Daesh

The Turkish military won't tolerate the possibility of a government - elected or otherwise - undermining the secular constitution.

The country might (and I say might) actually be safer as a result.

I have a friend sailing on the queen Victoria tomorrow out of Athens with two Turkish port stops scheduled. Will be interesting to see what they do at such short notice.

The Vista is scheduled to be in Turkey on Sunday. You would think that would be cancelled now.

The coup is currently underway so I can undertand the delay in any cancellations at this point.

This is sounding more and more like a successful coup. The president is holed up and in hiding in a hotel room attempting to say he's in control and urging people to take to the streets to take on the military! - On an iphone!

That's desperation right there.

Explosion reported in Ankora - and witness reports claiming a military aircraft has opened fire. Military have taken the national broadcast building issuing a statement that there is a curfew in place. This is very real.

I wonder what escape route he has planned. I'm sure glad as hell I'm nowhere near Turkey right now.

Edited by les37b

This is sounding more and more like a successful coup. The president is holed up and in hiding in a hotel room attempting to say he's in control and urging people to take to the streets to take on the military! - On an iphone!

That's desperation right there.

Explosion reported in Ankora - and witness reports claiming a military aircraft has opened fire.

I wonder what escape route he has planned. I'm sure glad as hell I'm nowhere near Turkey right now.

I am sure Erdogan is shaking in his boots in his hotel room, wondering what his fate will be.

Latest is he is asking Angela Merkel for asylum in Germany

That would be the same Germany that was refused access for its members of Parliament to visit their military currently stationed at Incirlik Air Base.

Latest is he is asking Angela Merkel for asylum in Germany

She'll invite anyone - though I expect she will tell the rest of Europe they will have to help.

The fact there doesn't seem to be any counter resistance, it's sounding more an more like Erdogan should use his iphone Uber app and get the hell out of there! lol

Spoke too soon about counter resistance.... machine gun fire at the blocked bridges and Ataturk airport.

Edited by les37b

She'll invite anyone - though I expect she will tell the rest of Europe they will have to help.

The fact there doesn't seem to be any counter resistance, it's sounding more an more like Erdogan should use his iphone Uber app and get the hell out of there! lol

Spoke too soon about counter resistance.... machine gun fire at the blocked bridges and Ataturk airport.

Well Erdogan must have few supporters other than ISIS.

The Vista is due in Kusadasi on Sunday. Will be interesting to see what happens and if she does port there or takes an extra sea day.

I'll go for a rescheduled visit to a Greek Island......... and a VAT bill !!!!!!

I'll go for a rescheduled visit to a Greek Island......... and a VAT bill !!!!!!

We did a Barcelona round trip on the Magic in 2011, no non EU ports. They called it the Barcelona tax.

I must have had one less drink on that cruise which covered it. ;)

We are about to disembark from the Queen Victoria in Athens (to board the Vista on the 19th). We were in Kusadasi two days ago and it and the people were wonderful. We were looking forward to revisiting on Wednesday. Such a shame.

John also said in his post that they were going to monitor the global security experts and will decide on future stops in the coming days.

I hope they don't cancel!

Anyway the coupe is over and the UK government removed the warning for Turkey. The BBC reported that coastal resorts were unaffected by it. As stated before Kusadasi is no where near Istanbul and is further away than Izmir is to it.

I think the Vista is due in again this week so lets see if it docks or not.