Just back Millenium 2 week Aisa Imersion Tour

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:59 PM.
Ottawa, Ontario
666 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Ours is coming up in December. We are still planning the last few excursions and our pre and post cruise. The cruises in signature are all upcoming.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Copenhagen - NCL - Breakaway - September 23, 2018
San Juan - Celebrity - Summit - December 8 & 15, 2018 B2B
Sydney-Vanuatu-New Caledonia - Melbourne April 4 & 14, 2019 B2B
Toronto Canada
1,388 Posts
Joined May 2010
We have done Asia cruise in Feb and are doing again this year in Dec.
With weather HK is usually 17 to 20 Celsius in Dec. and about 15 to maybe 18 in Feb.
Never had big rain then that is the summer months (caught in typhoon once). Layering is best.
Singapore hot sticky and humid all year round night is less humid but warm.
We have used Thai Tour Guide for three days last trip in Bangkok and will use again, great Enlglish speaking guide safe driver and very clean van. Look on Trip Advisor. In Bali we used Bali Magic our guide we called Moose was amazing he was even going to take us to his house for dinner.
Very well priced for a full day where we wanted, just my husband and I.
Scotland
652 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We are hoping to do a similar cruise on Millenium next February with 2 days in Bangkok. I see a few people have left the ship and stayed overnight in the city, is this the best thing to do or can you do 2 single day trips from the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2004 - Sun Princess
January 2005 - Dawn Princess
February 2006 - Oceana
October 2006 - Explorer of the Seas
February 2008 - QM2
January 2010 - Brilliance of the Seas
October 2011 - Emerald Princess
June 2015 - Queen Elizabeth

November 2015 -NCL Escape
February 2017 - NCL Getaway
May 2017 - NCL Star
February 2018 - Celebrity Millenium

[COLOR=rgb(0,0,255)]very soon to do NCL Star from Venice[/color]
[COLOR=rgb(0,0,255)][/color]

Los Angeles, CA (Sylmar)
859 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by champagne lover
We are hoping to do a similar cruise on Millenium next February with 2 days in Bangkok. I see a few people have left the ship and stayed overnight in the city, is this the best thing to do or can you do 2 single day trips from the ship?
Bangkok is a long drive in, like 2 hours one way. Most people stay over night in Bangkok as the 4 hour + round trip is pretty hard, staying over night gives you more time to sight see in and around Bangkok. Hotels in Bangkok are not expensive either so staying makes a lot of since.

Happy Planning,
Capt. Ron
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2,226 Posts
Joined May 2000
This is such a great thread and I have enjoyed reading each post as the information has helped us in planning our upcoming Asia cruise. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.
Ottawa, Ontario
666 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by SF
This is such a great thread and I have enjoyed reading each post as the information has helped us in planning our upcoming Asia cruise. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.
Agreed! Ron has been great and we will be testing out many of this recommendations in the next two and a half weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Copenhagen - NCL - Breakaway - September 23, 2018
San Juan - Celebrity - Summit - December 8 & 15, 2018 B2B
Sydney-Vanuatu-New Caledonia - Melbourne April 4 & 14, 2019 B2B
Western Australia
57 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Capt Ron, we're new to cruising and are doing a Princess cruise stopping both in Cambodia & Vietnam. In your opinion, is it best/cheaper to organise the visas yourself or do it through the ship. I understand as an Australian and travelling by sea, we are not eligible for an on line visa, is this correct? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Our Cruises:
2005 Virgo, Singapore B2B
2015 Celebrity Solstice Alaska
2018 Sun Princess South East Asia
Los Angeles, CA (Sylmar)
859 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by suenterry
Capt Ron, we're new to cruising and are doing a Princess cruise stopping both in Cambodia & Vietnam. In your opinion, is it best/cheaper to organise the visas yourself or do it through the ship. I understand as an Australian and travelling by sea, we are not eligible for an on line visa, is this correct? Any help would be very much appreciated.

I recommend that you let the ship handle all your Visas needed while cruising. They do it all the time, very simple, they have a system and know exactly what's needed etc. Visa cost charged to your on board account. No stress, no fuss, relax and enjoy. The experts on board take care if everything. Didn't know you could cruise to Cambodia.
Happy planning
Capt Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Carolina
829 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by OntarioCruiser38
Capt Ron,

I would like to thank you for having set up this thread. Your information has been bang on. We have customized our vacation with some of the excursions you did and in other cases have gone our own way which was exactly what information we needed.

Word of mouth information helps provide confidence that we are making good decisions. Without your help I would not have questioned some of the advice I have seen on other threads. Namely researching the Visa issue needs to be done by each individual as the cost depends on your nationality and seems to be constantly changing.

Some prices are increasing. Indochina has indicated their prices have gone up across the board as of January 1st 2017. If doing the Ha Long Bay cruise there are two things one needs to remember:

1. You may have an additional port usage fee however you would have this fee no matter what you were doing for the day. The point being that one should add this to their budget.

2. The cost of the visa is important due to the fact that you need a visa that will permit you to stay overnight if you are taking the overnight Ha Long Bay tour. This price changes dramatically whether or not you are American. At this moment it seems that for non-Americans that the best game in town price wise it Celebrity. I contacted them on the weekend and they will help with obtaining a Visa that will permit an overnight stay. We are told you do not have to be going on a Celebrity overnight excursion to get this visa. (This was verified twice). I am Canadian and this is what is working best for us at the moment.

The main thing with all information it is important to do your own personal verification.

The other huge variable is the cost of airline flights. I was lucky as I met an Australian travel agent a number of years ago who has guided me on flights internal to South East Asia. She was able to give me advice on one flight, Hong Kong to Siem Reap to keep looking as the prices I found were in her opinion overpriced. In the end she was correct. I dug a little more and found a cheaper flight.

Finally for flights from Canada to the cruise, I looked for two months, I found the itinerary I wanted in terms of the airline and connections however for the flights I wanted were not opening up the economy seating. I was patient and in the end used another website that provides a booking service at a nominal fee. In the end I save hundreds and go exactly the flights I wanted at the economy rates that on other sites were not showing as open. Know your prices and be persistent. All this being said I know at some point the prices might drop or go up however I had to have my flights from Canada to Singapore and Hong Kong to Canada in place so that I could plan around the rest of the vacation.

Capt Ron, I again want to thank you for your time. You have saved me a load of time. You have been a gentleman by providing your time and advice. I will pay this forward and am paying this forward by helping others out where I can. I will post how things work out when I return in January 2018 (we leave November 30, 2017 and return January 1st 2018)

Regards,
Jon

Jon I’m assuming you are back. I would love to hear updated info and recommendations. We have this booked for 2020 so am just starting to copy/paste/take notes and dig in on the research for tours.

Can you share your experiences and suggestions? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation (1995), RC Monarch (1997), Grand Princess (1998), HA Amsterdam (1999), Golden Princess (2000), Celebrity Summitt (2002), Celebrity Constellation (2004), Carnival Conquest (2005), Sapphire Princess (2006), HA Zuiderdam (2006), HA Statendam (2007), Carnival Valor (2008), Grand Princess (2009), HA Westerdam (2010), NCL Pride of America (2010), RC Liberty (2010), RC Allure (2011), RC Allure (2012), Carnival Sensation (2012), RC Allure (2012), RC Freedom (2012), RC Liberty (2013), RC Navigator (2013), RC Oasis (2013), RC Liberty (2014), RC Oasis (2014), Carnival Breeze (4-15), RC Allure (6-15), RC Oasis (12-15). RC Harmony Inaugural Cruise (5-16), RC Liberty (12-16), RC Serenade (5017), RC Allure (12-17). Future Cruises: Symphony (12-18)
North Carolina
829 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
And I apologize for not saying this earlier. Capt Ron! Thanks so much for all this info!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation (1995), RC Monarch (1997), Grand Princess (1998), HA Amsterdam (1999), Golden Princess (2000), Celebrity Summitt (2002), Celebrity Constellation (2004), Carnival Conquest (2005), Sapphire Princess (2006), HA Zuiderdam (2006), HA Statendam (2007), Carnival Valor (2008), Grand Princess (2009), HA Westerdam (2010), NCL Pride of America (2010), RC Liberty (2010), RC Allure (2011), RC Allure (2012), Carnival Sensation (2012), RC Allure (2012), RC Freedom (2012), RC Liberty (2013), RC Navigator (2013), RC Oasis (2013), RC Liberty (2014), RC Oasis (2014), Carnival Breeze (4-15), RC Allure (6-15), RC Oasis (12-15). RC Harmony Inaugural Cruise (5-16), RC Liberty (12-16), RC Serenade (5017), RC Allure (12-17). Future Cruises: Symphony (12-18)
Toronto, Ontario
337 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Capt Ron...noted that you went to Siem Reap post cruise....we will be doing that on our next trip (also going to Chiang Mai). Where did you stay, did you do any tours or just hire a driver for Angor Wat....any tips/recommendations?
Thanks!
2,226 Posts
Joined May 2000
I read that the ship will get visas for you onboard to visit Vietnam but if we are planning to do an overnight in Bangkok, Thailand is a visa required and does the ship provide this at a cost for you also?
Perth Western Australia
789 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by SF
I read that the ship will get visas for you onboard to visit Vietnam but if we are planning to do an overnight in Bangkok, Thailand is a visa required and does the ship provide this at a cost for you also?
I know Aussies don't need a visa and I am fairly confident that most Foreigners are granted a free 30 day stay on arrival.

TO be sure, ask the question on Trip Advisor Thailand forum and include your nationality.