Haines and Skagway on HAL time issue

missync

I've read through a ton of posts so I have a lot of information (THANK YOU!) but I can't seem to find anyone else having the same problem I'm having so I'm hoping for some help!

I'm booked on HAL in May rt from Vancouver. We stop in Haines. Below are the details and my reason for questions:

* itinerary says arrive 8am, depart 10pm

*fast ferry times TO Skagway for that day are 6:45am, 1pm, 7pm

*fast ferry times FROM Skagway are 5:45am, 8am, 2pm

*White Pass Train times are 8:15am and 12:45pm

Ideally we (group of 5 adults) want to go on the train to White Pass Summit AND see Kroschel Wildlife Center in Haines. Obviously that's proving to be difficult. I looked into plane trips with Mountain Flying Service and I can probably make that work but that's a big expense. I don't see any HAL excursions that include the train and I've looked on their website numerous times so am I just blind?!?!

So...does anyone have any suggestions for what to do here? Am I missing something or is flying literally my only option? If we have to miss the Wildlife Center I'm not too concerned but that doesn't really seem to be the issue. Why would HAL dock at such a crappy time and make traveling impossible? lol

thanks in advance!! :D

Docking at 8am and sailing at 10pm is "crappy'? Many complain HAL doesn't stay in ports long enough. They stay 14 hours, and it is "crappy".

HAL is now required to coordinate their docking times with your individual tour scheduling needs? I think you are asking just a bit much.

Far fewer cruises stop in Haines than Skagway. I'd take advantage and visit the area around Haines. I've flown with Mountain Flying twice (both from Skagway) over Glacier Bay and while expensive you get a lot of time in the air for your $$$. Taking just the White Pass summit train is the worst train ride option, you really want one of the full day trips. The farther you go from Skagway the more impressive the scenery gets. Spending all that time getting there from Haines for this trip to me is a waste of your time.

If everyone wants to take excursions out of Skagway why did you book a cruise to Haines? Save that for another Alaska cruise in the future

I've read through a ton of posts so I have a lot of information (THANK YOU!) but I can't seem to find anyone else having the same problem I'm having so I'm hoping for some help!

I'm booked on HAL in May rt from Vancouver. We stop in Haines. Below are the details and my reason for questions:

Ideally we (group of 5 adults) want to go on the train to White Pass Summit AND see Kroschel Wildlife Center in Haines. Obviously that's proving to be difficult. I looked into plane trips with Mountain Flying Service and I can probably make that work but that's a big expense. I don't see any HAL excursions that include the train and I've looked on their website numerous times so am I just blind?!?!

So...does anyone have any suggestions for what to do here? Am I missing something or is flying literally my only option? If we have to miss the Wildlife Center I'm not too concerned but that doesn't really seem to be the issue. Why would HAL dock at such a crappy time and make traveling impossible? lol

HAL is intending for you to visit Haines, not Skagway. You need to take a cruise that docks in Skagway to visit Skagway.

You have verified this is the final ferry schedule? When is your cruise.?

Frankly, for me, flying, always wins, I've done this route several times, along with adding time for Glacier Bay. But even the transit service is a scenic bonus in it'self. Why not also consider taking a look at one way flight with one way ferry?

Do take advantage of the time there.

Too often I see some ships just stopping at some ports for four or five hours.

This way you don't have to rush back to the ship or you can go on and off multiple times.

Smell the roses.

In other words, take it all in.

Keith

I would take advantage of the long day in Haines, since most itineraries don't stop there. We rented a car in Haines and went to the Kroschel Wildlife Center and Chilkat and Chilkoot Lake State Parks. You should have time to drive further up the Haines Hwy to Canada past Kroschel as well. It is a beautiful area.

If / when you return to Alaska, you can visit Skagway then, since it is on most itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Docking at 8am and sailing at 10pm is "crappy'? Many complain HAL doesn't stay in ports long enough. They stay 14 hours, and it is "crappy".

HAL is now required to coordinate their docking times with your individual tour scheduling needs? I think you are asking just a bit much.

+1 on that.

I just got off a cruise (not HAL) where we had 1/2 day in Malta and 1/2 day in another port. I am booked on a New Zealand cruise where we have 1/2 day in Wellington which is the capitol of New Zealand and one day where we get into Napier at 2 PM in the afternoon. The OP should be thankful and stop complaining.

DON

What date in May? I am looking at the ferry schedule and after 22 May, I see 6 departures a day each way. When you travel and something is really important to you, you have to check everything out before you book. In AK, lots of things are not operational early in the season.

BTW - I agree with those who say that you can spend a very enjoyable time in and around Haines for a day.

DON

Thank you to SOME of you for actually being helpful. My choice of words was poor and I apologize for that but I was asking if anyone had any information that could help me. But I understand what you all are saying. I'm excited to spend that much time in port but I also want to see EVERYTHING which is my reason for concern. I honestly doubt I'll get the chance to get back to Alaska so I'm trying to make the most of my time there and hit all of the high lights. With that long in port, I figured I'd be able to and thus my frustration. My cruise is May 12-20th and the 16th is when we'll be in Haines so unless I'm reading it wrong, my original times were correct.

Thank you to SOME of you for actually being helpful. My choice of words was poor and I apologize for that but I was asking if anyone had any information that could help me. But I understand what you all are saying. I'm excited to spend that much time in port but I also want to see EVERYTHING which is my reason for concern. I honestly doubt I'll get the chance to get back to Alaska so I'm trying to make the most of my time there and hit all of the high lights. With that long in port, I figured I'd be able to and thus my frustration. My cruise is May 12-20th and the 16th is when we'll be in Haines so unless I'm reading it wrong, my original times were correct.

Please come back and post what you end up doing, since I will be in Haines in July and there isn't as much info on it. I am currently booked on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari but am also considering the Kroschel wildlife reserve.

missnyc, is it too late to change the cruise you are taking, to one that goes to Skagway? Or is there a particular reason you HAVE to take THIS cruise?

No there isn't a particular reason but I figured it was probably too late to change at this point. I know it's not until May but I kind of assumed once it was paid for, it was kinda locked in.

Please come back and post what you end up doing, since I will be in Haines in July and there isn't as much info on it. I am currently booked on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari but am also considering the Kroschel wildlife reserve.

I will! I'm planning on doing a review of the whole cruise with pictures and stuff once I return as well.

What date in May? I am looking at the ferry schedule and after 22 May, I see 6 departures a day each way. When you travel and something is really important to you, you have to check everything out before you book. In AK, lots of things are not operational early in the season.

BTW - I agree with those who say that you can spend a very enjoyable time in and around Haines for a day.

DON

I did actually look into everything but the Ferry schedule for 2018 wasn't posted yet so there was no way to know exactly what it would be. Thanks for the info!

No there isn't a particular reason but I figured it was probably too late to change at this point. I know it's not until May but I kind of assumed once it was paid for, it was kinda locked in.

Did you book with a travel agent, or with Holland America? Did you book a non-refundable fare? I've got a cruise in May and my final payment date isn't until February sometime. Depending on the conditions you agreed to when you booked, you MIGHT be able to get a refund, if you are in US or Canada. Again, that is going to depend on the kind of booking you made.

You certainly can change your cruise at this point, assuming you are from the USA? I actually really like Haines, but my priority is to get there mid August and later for the browns. I most always rent a car and using Murray's Guide- have a remarkable day. Haines does have a visitor web site, you may want to take a look at that?

If Skagway, indeed is your priority then consider changing your cruise. I won't even be booking anything for Alaska until next year. Probably some less than a week prior since I pick up the last minute price dumps. :) My style of travel.

You certainly can change your cruise at this point, assuming you are from the USA?

If Skagway, indeed is your priority then consider changing your cruise.....

There have been some posts in the last while that Holland America has been offering lower-priced non-refundable fares occasionally. And some travel agents charge change fees (which can be expensive, or not, depending on the TA). That's why I was asking about the terms missync booked under. (I once nearly booked with a TA who offered a good deal, but a $250/person "change" fee....)

There have been some posts in the last while that Holland America has been offering lower-priced non-refundable fares occasionally. And some travel agents charge change fees (which can be expensive, or not, depending on the TA). That's why I was asking about the terms missync booked under. (I once nearly booked with a TA who offered a good deal, but a $250/person "change" fee....)

And it could be a change fee is well worth it, to get an itinerary you want. I see people in trip advisor hesitate to make any changes due to cancellation fees- But they jumped the gun and booked before they knew what they were doing. Then have a trip that is not what they thought. I can't see much reason to compromise when some people don't get to Alaska often.

I'm writing general only. The OP's choice could work out excellent.

And it could be a change fee is well worth it, to get an itinerary you want. I see people in trip advisor hesitate to make any changes due to cancellation fees- But they jumped the gun and booked before they knew what they were doing. Then have a trip that is not what they thought. I can't see much reason to compromise when some people don't get to Alaska often.

I'm writing general only. The OP's choice could work out excellent.

For me, personally, a change fee is a psychological impediment to changing :) The higher it is, the greater the impediment it is ;)

I hope the OP comes back and reads the last few posts. If she (?) is able to change her itinerary, it is something she should consider imho.

For me, personally, a change fee is a psychological impediment to changing :) The higher it is, the greater the impediment it is ;)

I hope the OP comes back and reads the last few posts. If she (?) is able to change her itinerary, it is something she should consider imho.

Yep, it sure can for some people. :) But- my time is far more valuable than my money, so never a priority for me. I travel all the time, at least haft a year (I'm on my way again tomorrow on the Breakaway, just got back 11-18 from 5 weeks, including 20 days on the Epic) , so for those less traveled, I will always ask, how long did it take for you to take this trip and honestly- how long will it take for you to return? Gives another direction to consider- IF there is a priority you missed.

Only random general, nonsense writing on my part. :) :) :)

Yep, it sure can for some people. :) But- my time is far more valuable than my money, so never a priority for me. I travel all the time, at least haft a year (I'm on my way again tomorrow on the Breakaway, just got back 11-18 from 5 weeks, including 20 days on the Epic) , so for those less traveled, I will always ask, how long did it take for you to take this trip and honestly- how long will it take for you to return? Gives another direction to consider- IF there is a priority you missed.

Only random general, nonsense writing on my part. :) :) :)

I've read a lot of your posts, never seen any nonsense :) (y)

I do hope the OP comes back....

The cruise the OP booked was on special promotion, one TA was selling it cheaper then all others around but all the money had to be paid upfront, not just non-refundable deposit. Another condition was no changes can be made to the booking. We actually wanted that specific cruise because it is eight nights, not standard seven and includes Hanes( talk about personal preferences) and Icy Straight, both of which we have never been to.

Edited by olya1972
Spelling