Cochin day tour recommendation

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:41 PM.
UK
641 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We travelled on Celebrity Constellation over Christmas and New Year and I pre booked day trips with several different tour companies prior to arrival. In Cochin we booked a mini bus and driver and with Just Taxi Holidays and had a fantastic time. We were a group of 7 and had a mini bus that sat about 12 people so plenty of space to spread out. The driver was waiting with our name board when we exited the ship around 9 am - ahead of the ship's tour which didn't depart until 10 am. We enjoyed the hair raising tour to the backwaters which took about 1 1/2 hours. In complete contrast we then had a very relaxed 2 1/2 hour private boat tour around the backwaters which was incredible - a very memorable way to spend Christmas day! We drove back to Cochin via Fort Cochin. All in all a brilliant day at a fraction of the cost Celebrity were charging. I highly recommend this tour. Any questions ask away!
Denmark
2,125 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We did pay 500 inr for a tuk-tuk tour to Fort Cochin - link to a review of the tour and Cochin details

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 24 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 20 ships and 100 Ports - three future cruises: two Serenade of the Seas Caribbean cruises in November 2017 and February 2018 and a Uniworld French River Wine Cruise April 2018.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017.
Denmark
2,125 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by karenbeanpole
Did you use the Tuk Tuk till you went back to the ship?
We did hire the tuk-tuk for the entire tour. Cochin is not that walkable.
Plenty of tuk-tuk at the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 24 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 20 ships and 100 Ports - three future cruises: two Serenade of the Seas Caribbean cruises in November 2017 and February 2018 and a Uniworld French River Wine Cruise April 2018.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017.
UK
641 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
The tour to the backwaters cost around $47 per person. We opted not to have any food on the houseboat. The trip was very similar to the Celebrity trip but we had a small mini bus just for the 7 of us and our own houseboat. I definitely recommend going down to Alleppey rather than just staying in Cochin. It was a great day
UK
641 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Celebrity were charging $220 per person for the same trip! There was no way we could pay that much for a day trip so this made it affordable and also more personal.
Somerset - UK
1,023 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
We are visiting Cochin next April and this topic has given us some ideas. It looks like the houseboat is the thing to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UK
641 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Personally I would say it is a great day trip. It was our fist ever time in India and the drive down was really interesting (and at times quite hair raising) - for us it was all part of the experience and we felt we had seen a lot.
270 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by kruzgal
The tour to the backwaters cost around $47 per person. We opted not to have any food on the houseboat. The trip was very similar to the Celebrity trip but we had a small mini bus just for the 7 of us and our own houseboat. I definitely recommend going down to Alleppey rather than just staying in Cochin. It was a great day
I am interested in the tour you took. Would you mind posting the company you went with?

APOLOGIES...PLEASE DELETE.
32 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
The trip was very similar to the Celebrity trip but we had a small mini bus just for the 7 of us and our own houseboat.
Hi kruzgal, glad you enjoyed your tour and you clearly chose the right company to book. We took a chance on Muziris Heritage - day tours, for the "Cochin Backwater tour (with food)" and we were double disappointed. The group was supposed to be max 10 people (as sold on their website), but our bus of 12 was joined together with another bus of 12, once at the houseboats. I won't go further into detail, but there were several reasons why we were not happy. Long story short: the chief executive suggested to refund our tour (as they also pretend to have a "money back guarantee" on their website), but it's been three months now and there has been no refund, after keeping me on the leash and a chain of false promises.
Thanks for your recommendation and we'll definitely keep it in mind when we return to Cochin!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Days at sea: 841

Somerset - UK
1,023 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Personally I would say it is a great day trip. It was our fist ever time in India and the drive down was really interesting (and at times quite hair raising) - for us it was all part of the experience and we felt we had seen a lot.
My wife is curious to know what made it hair raising.

Originally posted by busymumofthree
Thank you very much for the video you've posted, Mogens - we'll be there in April and it gives a really good idea of what to expect!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brisbane, Australia
928 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Wansbrough

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I don’t know about Cochin, going there next month. Indian traffic is at its best hair raising. There is so much if it, nobody appears to follow rules, and it is very noisy. However in 7 days of touring India we only saw one accident and that was on a highway linking two major cities. When going out on our own for a couple of hours our guide gave us this advice. The white lines painted on the road are not like a zebra crossing in your country, here they are just a decoration. Do not put any faith in anyone stopping for you.
It is a noisy, dirty amazing country. I am looking forward to going to two ports next month. Go with an open mind, and hang on tight in the bus and/or the tuk tuks.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2011 Celebrity Infinity - South America & Antarctica
2011 P&O Sun, Fremantle to Sydney
2012 Pacific Dawn - South Pacific
2013 Diamond Princess, Beijing to Bangkok
2013 Pacific Pearl South Pacific
2014 MSC Orchestra and Preziosa - Mediterranean
2014 Sea Princess - Papua New Guinea
2015 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South East Asia
2015 Victoria Lianna - Yangtze River Cruise
2015 Diamond Princess Japanese Cruise
2016 Regal Princess - Baltics
2017 Voyager of the Seas - Hong Kong to Singapore
2018 Carnival Legend Hobart and Port Arthur
2018 CMV Columbus - Singapore to London
32 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by Wansbrough
For us it was the fact that they use a two-lane road as a four-lane road. It felt like they were playing chicken the whole time. Strangely enough, after some time, we got used to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Days at sea: 841

Brisbane, Australia
928 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by ♒︎ NautiX ♒︎
For us it was the fact that they use a two-lane road as a four-lane road. It felt like they were playing chicken the whole time. Strangely enough, after some time, we got used to it.

I knew things were “different” when our van left the airport and drove down the middle of the two lane road. Not to mention having to stop for the cows on the highway leaving Delhi.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific