Currency Exchange (Cash) in Japan

Pacificana

I searched for the answer here, and it seems like most people recommend waiting until you are in Japan to find an ATM and withdraw money. I also found posts saying that ATMs in Japan might not accept some debit cards. Do they accept cash? Thank you!

If your question about cash means will they take anything besides yen, the answer is no.

As for using an ATM, I'm trying to remember but I think it was in Japan that I couldn't use a bank ATM. I had to go to a 7-11 and use the ATM there. And there were no additional fees,

Yes, bank ATMs didn't seem to accept international credit cards. We did find one at Tokyo Station that did but it charged a fee.

Most convenience stores have ATMs (not just 7-11) and these are the best. One day we found one convenience store chain didn't seem to like our debit cards although we had used those stores on other days, but there are plenty of other ones around so it wasn't an issue. Also keep your eyes open around the stations. I spotted a 7-11 ATM tucked in with vending machines on the above ground walkway at Shimbashi station, near the Yurikamome line.

Yes, it's best to wait until you arrive in Japan and withdraw cash yen from the ATM, so make sure you know your card's PIN number.

Typical Japanese ATMs do not accept overseas cards. However, all three of the ones below will and have an "English Guidance" button (typically in the top right corner) you can press to change all the instructions into English.

Japan Post "JP" Yucho ATMs (mostly inside post offices, but some free-standing machines): https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html

Seven Banks ATMS (mostly inside 7-11 convenience stores, but some free-standing machines): https://www.sevenbank.co.jp/english/

Lawson (convenience store) ATMs: https://oversea.lawson-atm.com/ja/index.html

Thank you to everyone who answered. I understand that there shouldn't be a problem with withdrawing money once we get to Tokyo. My concern is that we might not have cash to get from the airport to the hotel if ATMs at the airport do not accept our cards. Is there a way to exchange some cash at the airport should it happen, or should I get a few yens here in the U.S. before leaving for the trip just in case?

Thank you to everyone who answered. I understand that there shouldn't be a problem with withdrawing money once we get to Tokyo. My concern is that we might not have cash to get from the airport to the hotel if ATMs at the airport do not accept our cards. Is there a way to exchange some cash at the airport should it happen, or should I get a few yens here in the U.S. before leaving for the trip just in case?

You didn't mention what airport you are landing at. At Narita, there is at least one ATM terminal as you exit the arrival area, I didn't have any problem with using my ATM / Debit cards, it's a Master Card debit card. At Haneda, there are several, again right outside the arrival area, see the list. Also, do a search on the map of the airport and it will show you exactly where the ATM's are.

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/mo/en/premises/service/bank_atm.html

Also, do a Youtube search, there are many videos on how to use the ATM's i Japan

I usually exchange $200 before I leave so I have ready cash.

Easier for me than trying to find my way through the airport terminals after I have just landed - one less thing I have to stress over when I just arrive.

I do exchange at the ports and/or train stations money exchanges. Most of the large stations have one, however, I tried to use a Visa Debit card at an atm that had english capability and it would not let me get yen. I was able to find an exchange window and change money in that manner. This was all at the train station in Kanazawa.

In our experience, there are many Seven Eleven Stores and their ATM machines accept non Japanese cards. Post offices do as well, but we never used them since there was always a Seven Eleven much closer.

I arrived in Narita a couple of days ago and followed the ATM signs after exiting customs. There were many ATMs there including 7-11 ones & signs above some of the bank ATMs said they took international cards. I used my debit card in one of the latter with no problems.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app