Allianz insurance pre existing conditions policy

esper10

Hi all, it is the first time I bought insurance other than the cruise line insurance. I bought Allianz Global. I bought for my self I’m 60 years old and my mom 85 years. I bought ONLY the medical portion 50,000 medical and 1,000,000 emergency medical transportation. I DID NOT buy the trip cancellation because I have it with my credit card. I asked about pre existing conditions because my mom has high blood pressure which is very stable but she is under medication. I was told that I have it in the policy automatically but another representative told me that if I must have the trip cancellation in order the pre existing to work. Any one of you know any thing about this? Please help.

Generally a chronic condition that is stable with medication is not an excludable pre-existing condition. In most policies the definition of pre-existing condition is one that has required treatment by a physician for an acute onset/recurrence/episode of serious symptoms during the specified lookback period.

Now if your issue is that your policy was sold as waiving any lookback period (thus eliminating the possibility of denying a claim based on any pre-existing condition)--the only way to learn whether this is correct is to read your policy. You cannot rely on any verbal reassurances or statements of policy from a phone representative.

Cruise Critic has a board for discussion of cruise insurance where you have a far better chance of a response from someone familiar with, or who regularly buys, this provider's policies:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Generally a chronic condition that is stable with medication is not an excludable pre-existing condition. In most policies the definition of pre-existing condition is one that has required treatment by a physician for an acute onset/recurrence/episode of serious symptoms during the specified lookback period.

Now if your issue is that your policy was sold as waiving any lookback period (thus eliminating the possibility of denying a claim based on any pre-existing condition)--the only way to learn whether this is correct is to read your policy. You cannot rely on any verbal reassurances or statements of policy from a phone representative.

Cruise Critic has a board for discussion of cruise insurance where you have a far better chance of a response from someone familiar with, or who regularly buys, this provider's policies:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Strongly agree about NOT relying on any verbal assurances/explanations/etc.

Ask them to point you to the exact place in YOUR policy where it states what they are claiming.

And *read* your policy. It should be clear what is covered.

(If something isn't stated, then chances are good it's not covered...)

ALL that matters is what is stated in your specific policy, and nothing else.

We always use an insurance broker (www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and there are others) so that they can explain the pros/cons of different policies and even different insurers.

And yes, they'll point to the specific wording of the specific policy to answer specific questions when appropriate.

GC

I learned after purchasing a policy that putting 0 trip cost (because I wanted only medical and evacuation) invalidated the pre-existing condition waiver. I did not do my homework and read the policy. So, be careful.

High Blood Pressure should not be a problem. Even though it could cause, for example, a stroke, it's not the same condition.

So, if someone with HBP pre-existing has a stroke on the cruise, the insurance will not consider that pre-existing, even if HBP contributed to it.

Now, if the stroke itself was pre-existing and on the ship the person has a problem directly caused by the earlier stroke, that may be excluded.

Finally, some cruise policies will lower the pre-existing lookback period to as little as 60 days, so it pays to shop around.

One more question please. As I was reading the policy the 50,000 medical is on the policy page but the 1,000,000 evacuation is in the ”welcom” letter. Does not mean I don’t have the 1,000,000 I don’t think insurance company like Allianz will miss lead like this.

I was told that I do have 1,000,00 evacuation does it have to be in the same area were the 50,000 is which it is the policy. So many pages I don’t understand it hardly 😪