Roll calls. Why aren't RCI cruisers active?

Going on my second RCI cruise in December. Signed up for my roll call, there's two of us.... Six months out, next to nil participation. My next cruise After that is a Carnival in April. Just a little less than a year out and a good deal more signed up. What gives? No enthusiasm, snobbery, or folks don't know they exist?

Going on my second RCI cruise in December. Signed up for my roll call, there's two of us.... Six months out, next to nil participation. My next cruise After that is a Carnival in April. Just a little less than a year out and a good deal more signed up. What gives? No enthusiasm, snobbery, or folks don't know they exist?

Meet & Mingle signup has been having tecnical difficulties. You may have more signed up than is showing.

Just depends, our Symphony of the seas Oct 28 roll call has 4,400 replies and over 101,000 views and we are still 5 months out.

I've noticed less participation on European cruises, as well.

As a Brit who has cruised on both sides of the pond and Asia, I have noticed that generally speaking, RCs are far more active for cruises where there are a lot of Americans and Canadians. The Europeans(incl Brits) don’t seem to bother with CC in the way Americans and Canadians do. Perhaps they don’t know about it, perhaps it’s because we aren’t as gregarious. I’ve done Med, Canaries and Baltics cruises that have had very lively RCs, and very well attended M&G get together, and others that haven’t. Doing Med on RCI Jewel late September and Celebrity Edge Caribbean next Feb, both RCs are deathly quiet........and don’t even think about the RC for our QM2 TA in August! Maybe that has an excuse as no-ones getting off to do trips 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it depends on the itinerary/ease/familiarity with ports. Our SE US/Bahamas on the Grandeur RC is really quiet, but I think those are pretty straight forward ports. Our SA and Baltic RCs were pretty active with people discussing private excursions, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe snobs are on your particular cruise. :)

I don’t participate lately, but all my RCCL roll calls have multi page participation. People interact for more than a year.

Perhaps it is down to the fact RCCL do not support M&M on cruises of less than 7 nights.

On the RC's there are auto posts from posters new to Cruise Critic.

On past cruises lots of people signing up to M&M but not appearing at the get together on board.

This is something that has varied widely on all of our cruises so far with other lines. Our last cruise the Roll Call was dead from the time I started it (about a year and a half before the cruise) but it really picked up about 90 days out with a decent amount of members signing up for it. Others just never took off at all. Meet and Mingle attendance has been just as varied.

It really depends. I've participated in some roll calls that were really active and others where there were crickets. Indeed I started one for my Costa cruise two years ago and kept bumping it up and no one ever responded!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking the same thing. My next 7 day cruise leaves in just 26 days and we just started our 5th page of posts. Maybe one or two people post something a month.

As of now, I’m not sure there will be a M&M.

Some need to be honest- at some point, the roll call threads don't have much appeal to them, as some are not really interested in many of the things that are brought up on them- what excursions, shows, transportation, etc. Some don't really worry about any of that, so the thread don't hold much of an appeal to spend a lot of time and effort on.

For most, I'll join, and post if it's helpful, but barely participate. Others, we need to find out more info for the trip.

The one thing I can be confident in- the roll call has never been a good indicator of the cruise and the crowd. The cruises tend to be far more consistent than the roll calls.

Thank-you!

No problem. ;)

To SailorJeff: As mentioned, less than 7 night cruises that do not feature a meet and mingle, are more typically slow on the roll calls. Participation may pick up later, as those cruises also attract

last minute bookings.

"Snobbery" really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I’ve noticed the cruises I’ve done in the Med don’t have a great roll call where as the USA ones, well they just go on and on and on and on! ha ha ha.

I attended the meet and mingle on the Symphony last week and only the UK, USA and Canada turned up.

Also, just be careful if you expect the same kind of game shows and activities you get if you’re sailing from the USA, they don’t happen on Med cruises. I was really disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Snobbery" really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Actually, people on M&M threads are nicer, because the anonymity is gone: you might actually meet these people in person!

Personally I think the quality of the roll calls has dropped significantly over the years. I suspect this is due to other options being available and plenty of video online.

I actually booked a B2B2B with three short cruises and one of the appealing things about that is no roll call...and I am not going to start one.

Actually, people on M&M threads are nicer, because the anonymity is gone: you might actually meet these people in person!

Agree...I am guessing many don't post much on the shorter cruise roll calls due to that fact indeed. They will probably just never meet up with the CC mates they are chatting with on the roll calls since there is no meet and mingle.

Maybe people don't go on cruises to meet up with strangers. I know, I don't. Just give me a drink and my knitting, and no-one gets hurt :)