Photo for Online Check-in

I started to go through the online check-in process for my upcoming August cruise and noticed the first thing they ask for is to upload a photo to help expedite the check-in at the cruse terminal. I haven’t cruised with RCI in a few years and have never seen this before. I’m inclined to skip this step as I can’t really understand how much time can be saved by doing this. However, I’ll certainly do so if it does in fact save precious time. Can anyone tell me if uploading the photo really does expedite the check-in process at the cruise terminal.

I started to go through the online check-in process for my upcoming August cruise and noticed the first thing they ask for is to upload a photo to help expedite the check-in at the cruse terminal. I haven’t cruised with RCI in a few years and have never seen this before. I’m inclined to skip this step as I can’t really understand how much time can be saved by doing this. However, I’ll certainly do so if it does in fact save precious time. Can anyone tell me if uploading the photo really does expedite the check-in process at the cruise terminal.

Hi Garycruz :)

During my previous sailing I did not upload a photo of myself or my wife during the online check-in process. When at the terminal the Royal Caribbean representative took our photos; the process took less than 20 seconds.

Have a terrific voyage!

:)

I uploaded mine for Symphony and didn’t have any problems. Have heard that they retake again at check in but they kept ours and straight through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the time saved would be so minimal that it might not be worth the effort. That’s what I suspected but having confirmation from others makes me feel better about skipping the photo upload process.

I uploaded mine for Symphony and didn’t have any problems. Have heard that they retake again at check in but they kept ours and straight through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is interesting. Wonder why they even bother asking for a photo upload if I they’re going to take the photo anyway at check in.

My last ten cruises, I've done nothing but book, pay and show up. No need to waste your time with any online check in, printing or photo upload. Just show up and you're good to go.

Are you saying you don’t even bother doing the online check-in at all? I would think that its got to save some time not doing the paperwork at the cruise terminal. Or are you saying there is no paperwork to fill out at the terminal?

Are you saying you don’t even bother doing the online check-in at all? I would think that its got to save some time not doing the paperwork at the cruise terminal. Or are you saying there is no paperwork to fill out at the terminal?

I go online if I want to book or purchase something in advance. Otherwise, no, I don't bother. And it takes no more time at the terminal.

I guess I don't understand how taking a picture when doing the boarding info is a big deal and such a waste of time. If it is done right, it doesn't have to be done again and if one is sailing on Allure, as an example, the Royal Caribbean app with the picture is supposed to make getting in line for check in unnecessary.

I haven't tried the app yet as it wasn't used when we sailed in Jan, but for my upcoming cruise next month, it tells me I can check in on my phone. Easy peasy if it works.

Uploading a photo isn’t a big deal. But I’d rather not even bother if the time savings can be counted in seconds as appears to be the consensus here. I’m not sure if Anthem has the app you’re referring to but that does sound like an advantage to uploading the picture.

We DID upload photos, and they still took another one at the terminal. Go figure.

Took photos for last years Harmony cruise to only have to take them again at the terminal when we arrived...

Yesterday, did my online check in for this summer's Harmony cruise with NO PHOTOS and was told my online check is is complete.

Will it make a difference - probably not, I was delayed about for about 90 seconds last year when they had to take the photo again... NOT a dealbreaker!!

This is interesting. Wonder why they even bother asking for a photo upload if I they’re going to take the photo anyway at check in.
They only take it again at the pier if people didn't follow the guidelines.

Yes, time savings is small for each individual, but multiplied across all passengers, can save personnel at the pier quite a bit of time.

We choose to upload ours because it takes minimal effort on our part. If it were a big hassle, we'd skip it.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the time saved would be so minimal that it might not be worth the effort. That’s what I suspected but having confirmation from others makes me feel better about skipping the photo upload process.

Not sure why people would not just comply with request and upload a compliant photo. When we sailed on the Anthem, it allowed us to just scan our SetSail pass with a person walking around with an iPad and we were ready to board. No need to deal with check-in.

An IT glitch? Say it isn't so. Lol

Not sure if people appreciate the fact that everything they do pre-cruise probably happens on some land based server (maybe in Miami), then all of that info has to be transferred to the ship's IT system. All kinds of things can happen during that transfer.

If there are 5000 people on the ship and it takes one minute per person to take the photo (including the time for the staff member to click what they have to click on the computer to get ready for the picture, get the right passenger in the family ready for the photo with no sunglasses or hat, facing forward, etc., actually take the picture, then click what they need to click in the computer to complete the process), that's a total of an hour and a half of wasted time if people don't upload their own picture.

Yes, some of them will have to be retaken at the pier because people didn't follow the rules or random IT glitches, but if MOST of the pictures are already done, that makes the lines for check-in go that much faster.