International travel

mar23

We are traveling before a cruise. Going to Ireland and Scotland on tour. They are telling us that all prescription mens have to be in individual bottles. My husband takes over a dozen pills daily and usually sorts them at home in those pill dividers. We've traveled to Europe a couple of years ago with the pills sorted without a problem. Is this a new TSA rule?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We travel with anything in its original bottle and with copies of all prescriptions. Dh brings a pill sorter with him and we sort everything out once we get settled into the first hotel for land vacations. We still keep the bottles and the paper copies, but don't resort even if on a domestic flight or train travel.

We had a friend that ran into some trouble with prescription medication while in Singapore a few years ago, It was all sorted out, but he was detained for several hours while everything was sorted and we have been extra careful since then. Any non prescription medication I bring in I keep it sealed until we are in the country we are traveling to. Probably overkill but makes me feel better.

What I always do is put most of my meds in the pill sorter, and put a copy of the script in the side pocket.

I don't even do that, I guess I should. I've never had an issue but then again have never taken any "good stuff" ;p

We have been to Europe numerous times and carry individual pill packets for daily use and also carry pharmacy label you get when you pick up your meds at drug store. It has a pic and description of pill on it. If we take pain meds-we take in rx bottle. Never even had anyone ever check us before though and we travel a good bit. I keep all meds in my carryon.

Many Asian countries and middle eastern countries have strict rules on what is allowed in to their country.

Check the govt website for the country you are entering.

Japan as an example has strict rules on codeine, whether on a script or not, but you can apply ahead of time for an exemption, sorry don't know all details as it didn't apply to me.

As you mentioned Singapore is strict as is Dubai. Keep pills in original packaging, take your scripts, take only enough for your trip and a few extra days in case and be prepared to answer all questions politely if asked at customs.

The only time I have been questioned was at Singapore where I flew in before embarking on a long cruise so I had a largish supply of medication. On showing my itinerary for holiday all was ok.

Many Asian countries and middle eastern countries have strict rules on what is allowed in to their country.

Check the govt website for the country you are entering.

Japan as an example has strict rules on codeine, whether on a script or not, but you can apply ahead of time for an exemption, sorry don't know all details as it didn't apply to me.

As you mentioned Singapore is strict as is Dubai. Keep pills in original packaging, take your scripts, take only enough for your trip and a few extra days in case and be prepared to answer all questions politely if asked at customs.

The only time I have been questioned was at Singapore where I flew in before embarking on a long cruise so I had a largish supply of medication. On showing my itinerary for holiday all was ok.

We will be flying into Auckland for a NZ/AU cruise then a TP. NZ has very tight rules. We will have a form to fill out on the plane and in doing research, it's quite scary.

Good grief. I'm surprised I'm not in jail. I've been on well over 70 cruises that include Europe, the Pacific, and the regular Caribbean cruises and have never given it a thought. I put my supply of morning pills in one zip lock sandwich bag and my evening pills in another zip lock sandwich bag and throw them in my carry on. No script or anything. When we get in our cabin, I pull out the morning and evening pill dividers and sort the pills right at that nice little desk they have in there.

The only thing I guess I have is I do have a list of my meds on my smartphone but no script of any kind.

Tim

We are traveling before a cruise. Going to Ireland and Scotland on tour. They are telling us that all prescription mens have to be in individual bottles. My husband takes over a dozen pills daily and usually sorts them at home in those pill dividers. We've traveled to Europe a couple of years ago with the pills sorted without a problem. Is this a new TSA rule?

No.

This thread like many others on this subject will quickly become 'rule' vs 'practice'. The rule may be original bottles, but it is rarely enforced. In 45 years of traveling for business and pleasure, I've never been questioned. But that's not the rule.

So what if it's in a brown container? Can you, or any other agent tell me that pill is what's listed on the container?

Take your chances.

We have been on numerous cruises abroad and have taken all our pills in pill dividers along with a copy of our prescriptions. Any controlled meds have been kept in their own labeled bottles. Never had a problem.

However, as others have mentioned, some countries in Asia and the middle East, do have strict rules governing medications and lists of forbidden meds. Look at their websites carefully to avoid any potential problems. For example, in Abu Dhabi they have a common cholesterol medication on their forbidden list. To bring it into the country you need a notarized letter from your physician prescribing the medication and a letter from your state or the US government (can't remember which one) as well. Truly, truly a hassle. Gave up on that one!

Good luck!:)

Having all your meds in original packaging / bottles is a pain and I used to put all the strips into a ziplock bag.

Problem is what happens if I am challenged, rare likelihood but possible. First challenge is to prove that the meds are what I claim they are. The second is that have been prescribed for me.

To avoid delays or possibility of confiscation, I take the meds in the original packaging which includes the label with my name.

I have never been challenged (live and travel in Europe) but decided to take a more cautious approach.

I have never travelled to Singapore or Middle-East countries which might have stricter rules.

All I can tell you is that my wife beats you with the bottles. But she takes them all in the bottles. The reason is that with many different countries, the rules are different, and no way will we take a chance. Yes, she uses a divider to make it easy, but we still carry the bottles. By the way, TSA is only in the USA, so it is irrelevant what the USA rules are since you will be elsewhere.

Also, why are you concerned with the bottles? They don't take that much room, and don't weigh enough to be concerned. Plus it is safe practice to always carry more than you need in case of delays.

When we refill prior to trip I put enough in the new bottles to get us through the vacation and put the remainder in the old bottles to leave at home. Then when the bottles are empty we pull the labels off and toss the bottles. That way we have the most recent version of the script with us and nothing to usually bring home. And if we take a few extra it's still no problem bringing them back

First off....TSA has absolutely NOTHING to do with prescription medications (unless liquids).

What you are talking about are the CUSTOMS restrictions imposed by the countries you are entering. These vary across the globe, so there are no blanket answers. Some countries require original bottles and prescription labels, some are OK with loose in baggies or sorters. It completely depends on the country you are entering.

In addition, some countries also have restrictions on what are over-the-counter (OTC) medications in the USA. And example is the UAE restriction on many decongestants.that are available in the USA without a prescription.

What this means is that you have to do your research. Not the simple answer, but the accurate one.

Finally, to the OP: Just who is the "THEY" in "They are telling us"??

OP, who is "they"?

And no this isn't an issue for where you're going.

We had a friend that ran into some trouble with prescription medication while in Singapore a few years ago, It was all sorted out...

Yeah, well, Singapore.

By the way, TSA is only in the USA, so it is irrelevant what the USA rules are since you will be elsewhere.

Their flight out of the States will involve tsa, and tsa can look at pills if they wish to.

We travel with anything in its original bottle and with copies of all prescriptions.

NY State no longer allows written RX, so can you suggest what would be a valid "copy"?

I think this is like the "carry a copy" of you Passport, which is meaningless for use other than having the right information to give the state department.

You do realise the customs people are going to be reasonable. There goal is to search out people with bad intentions, not to catch tourists on technicalities. If the quantity you have is clearly for personal use, they probably don't care. If the quantity looks like your running a drug import business they do.

Unless you draw attention to yourself by brining in a suitcase of drugs or for some other reason they will very likely never look and not care.

Given your from the US, google says, this is what the US embassy in Ireland thinks you should do:

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/medical-assistance/medication/

You do realise the customs people are going to be reasonable. There goal is to search out people with bad intentions, not to catch tourists on technicalities. If the quantity you have is clearly for personal use, they probably don't care. If the quantity looks like your running a drug import business they do.

Unless you draw attention to yourself by brining in a suitcase of drugs or for some other reason they will very likely never look and not care.

Given your from the US, google says, this is what the US embassy in Ireland thinks you should do:

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/medical-assistance/medication/

I hope that it is clear that this "advice" is referring to the specifics of the OP - visiting the UK and the EU. There are many jurisdictions that have ZERO TOLERANCE for customs violations, especially with drugs. Even with the UK and EU, give this a thought: There are laws on the books regarding customs for incoming travellers. This advice is to say "don't worry, they really don't enforce that". If you choose to follow that advice, also know that you may very well fall afoul of the laws of Ireland or the UK. So, to quote my old friend Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky?"

Believing that any government official is going to be reasonable is a naive assumption in my book. And catching people is what their job entails. If it's been a slow day on the smuggler front, who knows how they will process "tourists"?

I hope that it is clear that this "advice" is referring to the specifics of the OP - visiting the UK and the EU. There are many jurisdictions that have ZERO TOLERANCE for customs violations, especially with drugs. Even with the UK and EU, give this a thought: There are laws on the books regarding customs for incoming travellers. This advice is to say "don't worry, they really don't enforce that". If you choose to follow that advice, also know that you may very well fall afoul of the laws of Ireland or the UK. So, to quote my old friend Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky?"

Believing that any government official is going to be reasonable is a naive assumption in my book. And catching people is what their job entails. If it's been a slow day on the smuggler front, who knows how they will process "tourists"?

My comments are directed at the original poster who is heading to the EU. I think you include the UK in with EU for just a little longer.

I would agree that there are certain countries in the world where the people working boarder control are the ones with bad intentions. There are a few other countries where they are well intentioned, and stickler for details or they manage to tangle themselves in knots.

NY State no longer allows written RX, so can you suggest what would be a valid "copy"?

I think this is like the "carry a copy" of you Passport, which is meaningless for use other than having the right information to give the state department.

Our doctor prints out a letter/list (on her letterhead) of our prescriptions and doasage and signs it. I have no idea if this works everywhere but it was sufficient for New Z and Australia.

Then when the bottles are empty we pull the labels off and toss the bottles. That way we have the most recent version of the script with us

Why not just ask the pharmacist to print an extra label? Or save the one that often comes on the bag that they put the pill bottle in?

Their flight out of the States will involve tsa, and tsa can look at pills if they wish to.

Determining whether someone has pills in their bag and what they are is not the TSA's responsibility. As someone else said, they are not the DEA. Their job is to make sure passengers don't have guns, large quantities of liquids, and other listed prohibited items in their luggage. Medicines, vitamins and the like are not on that list of prohibited items.

Our doctor prints out a letter/list (on her letterhead) of our prescriptions and doasage and signs it. I have no idea if this works everywhere but it was sufficient for New Z and Australia.

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield FEP (retired) insurance. They use Caremark/CVS for drugs. If you go to the website and search for drug list it will give you a list of all your drugs in a format that can fit one page and fold to make a very useful list of all drugs. I carry this and also give it to "other Dr's " so they can copy. My Dr visit paperwork also lists all current RX along with basic information from the visit and diagnosis codes. Ship's Dr. has praised having that information handy if I need to visit the infirmary --sort of a baseline. For travel, I take the labels that are used to order by mail and tape them to snack bags (one line with RX# Name Medicine name dose and Dr. name). Those bags filled with enough of RX for trip plus extras and are kept in a heavy plastic zipper bag. I fill my weekly containers from the bags. This has worked all over the world and I have done this for about 15 years. Works for me and takes much less space. All medication must travel in your carry-on. Can't always get what you need in local stores and you have no prescription in other countries.

Just another hint: Check the cost of your RX every so often. I have 3 expensive drugs that cost less from mail order than the corner CVS. The other nine RX cost less locally than from mail order. Makes no sense since it is the same supplier but I save almost $200 per 90 day supply by paying attention to where I order. AND YES it does change. If on pickup locally, the price has gone up check the mail order price refuse for a day and check the cost on-line.