Project Runway?

BlueHerons

"Okay, designers, do avants garde, but listen to what these kids say and make something that will work in a fashion for these dolls."

Which is why Michael's melting disco ball won.

Ayana's outfit was far cooler, and about as avant garden as you can get. I thought Margarita's might get the nod, as it was doll-worthy, but no -- sparkle city won.

On the "Road to the Runway" I picked Brandon (loved his outfit this week again, but knew it had no chance of winning) and Kentaro to go the distance. Now I want Kenya to go with them. Her "petal" dress was stunning and she's had a lot of really strong looks this season. She does do too many peplums, tho.

Was good with the double elimination. Those two ladies really haven't shown much the whole season.

As to Claire, maybe her sense of entitlement comes from having been on, and won, another "reality" show.

And, I continue to want to tell Zac, "Look with your eyes, not with your hands." I know models are used to be man-handled, but it creeps me out each week. He seemed extra handsy this week.

"Okay, designers, do avants garde, but listen to what these kids say and make something that will work in a fashion for these dolls."

Which is why Michael's melting disco ball won.

Ayana's outfit was far cooler, and about as avant garden as you can get. I thought Margarita's might get the nod, as it was doll-worthy, but no -- sparkle city won.

On the "Road to the Runway" I picked Brandon (loved his outfit this week again, but knew it had no chance of winning) and Kentaro to go the distance. Now I want Kenya to go with them. Her "petal" dress was stunning and she's had a lot of really strong looks this season. She does do too many peplums, tho.

Was good with the double elimination. Those two ladies really haven't shown much the whole season.

As to Claire, maybe her sense of entitlement comes from having been on, and won, another "reality" show.

And, I continue to want to tell Zac, "Look with your eyes, not with your hands." I know models are used to be man-handled, but it creeps me out each week. He seemed extra handsy this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m sorry your post was quoted. Just meant to reply.

I agree with your summary. I like Brandon’s quiet demeanor, but enough with the straps. Same with Kenya’s peplums or nearly-a-peplum. She seems like a good person, but I don’t think the judges respect her work enough for a win.

Like most PW fans, I think it will be Kentara, Brandon and Ayana in the finale.

I was SO ready to boot off Claire and Shawn. Their pieced jackets that they showed in their preview closet looked great, but they didn’t come close to anything as original on the show. I get it that piecing takes time, but other designers have managed. I think the producers thought they’d be a novelty. They were, but they were such a bad example. They caused nothing more than senseless drama and bad examples of adult behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Judie

I really did not like the huge lapels on the navy jacket Tim wore on the first day. Hope that is not a coming trend.:eek:

I was surprised how much they liked Kenya's with the broken zipper and exaggerated hips.

Once again I was expecting the Tim Gunn save.

I think he would have used his save if Kentaro was sent home, but not surprised he didn’t save Michael. Judges don’t seem to think Michael is as strong a designer as Kentaro. I don’t want anyone to go home at this point. Kenya seems like such a likable woman, I’d enjoy knowing her, but I think she’s struggling now.

Does anyone else enjoy the "Project Sammy's Way" short episodes? I think the concept is so clever. The editing is great and it brings such a level of humor and sarcasm to the show. :D

I agreed with the judges this time on winners and losers. I expected a save too, but wonder how they're going to make up the time with two losers and one cheater departing at once. Wouldn't that leave the show ending two weeks early? :confused:

I am glad Tim didn't use the save, and I would have expected Michael to decline to be saved given his statement earlier that he hoped Tim wouldn't use it.

The idea that the runway is anonymous, particularly with only six designers left, is ridiculous. Straps? Brandon. Hijab? Ayanna. The others could be guessed, too, with the more intimate knowledge the judges have of the designers at this point.

I am glad Tim didn't use the save, and I would have expected Michael to decline to be saved given his statement earlier that he hoped Tim wouldn't use it. .

Now there's an interesting thought ... has anyone ever "declined" a save (as far as anyone remembers)? If so, what happened to the save then -- was it wasted?

I wondered, too, about the $5000 that Claire won but was then rescinded because of the cheating. That week there was declared "no winner," yet Dixie chose Brandon's design to use on its cups. Did Brandon then win the money? If it was mentioned at the time, I must have missed it. Maybe the "prize" was the value of the contract with Dixie (sale of the rights to the design) so Brandon did get the money, even though he was not declared the "winner" by PR.

The idea that the runway is anonymous, particularly with only six designers left, is ridiculous. Straps? Brandon. Hijab? Ayanna. The others could be guessed, too, with the more intimate knowledge the judges have of the designers at this point.

Yes, it is certainly true that the anonymity of the runway show wears off as the designers develop and demonstrate a more consistent style each week (though this season, several started out with that consistency). I have always assumed that the weekly announcement about anonymity was to ward off any suspicions of favoritism based on personality rather than talent. It seems to me that the anonymity idea is a relatively new thing -- maybe starting 3 or 4 seasons ago? I don't think Heidi used to announce that years back -- so I guess the audience complained about possible favoritism.

The anonymity announcement (cum legal disclaimer?) notwithstanding... It has always been a good thing when the judges say they know who designed what, based on the personal style of the designer -- right up until a designer is called a ""one trick pony!" :rolleyes:

This week's show left me "meh". I didn't feel enthusiastic about any one design over any of the others, though Kentaro's "Pocohontas" look was...uh...shall we just say, below his standards. He's usually so awesome that I'd guess that's the only reason he wasn't sent packing. The outfit was bad enough, but then adding the "ethnic appropriation" styling was just over the top!

I think Tim said that nobody would get the money (a "win" for Dixie;)).

Hubby said that Brandon did win the $25,000. It was mentioned in the next weeks show (or maybe in the "previously seen" section).

As I didn't remember seeing it I Googled it and found this

Lifetime

Published on Oct 17, 2017

Brandon's print landed him a $25,000 cash prize! Go behind the scenes to learn more about Brandon's vision and inspiration for his Dixie® To Go "Project Runway" cup in this exclusive clip, brought to you by our sponsor Dixie.For more from Dixie, check out their YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk2...

SHOW MORE

[/color]

Hubby said that Brandon did win the $25,000. It was mentioned in the next weeks show (or maybe in the "previously seen" section).

Brandon's print landed him a $25,000 cash prize! Go behind the scenes to learn more about Brandon's vision and inspiration for his Dixie® To Go "Project Runway" cup in this exclusive clip, brought to you by our sponsor Dixie.For more from Dixie, check out their YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk2...

SHOW MORE

[/color]

They probably didn't want to take focus away from the drama going on at the time. It would have been kind of, I don't know, odd isn't quite the word I'm searching for, but...well, the focus was on the cheating, as it should have been, which is serious, but then to announce, "woohoo, Brandon gets 25 grand", just wouldn't seem ...right, at the time.

Brandon's work continues to be evocative of straight jackets. The bonnet reminded me of Mary Surratt being hanged for the assassination of Lincoln.

I knew when Tim was reviewing Margarita's work that she was going to lose and he'd use his save. But that dress was awful.

Brandon’s reminded me of Little Bo Peep after a night drinking, losing her clothes, and forgetting how to put that bonnet back on her head. Sigh. I’m so over the straps. They are multiplying each week like rabbits. They’d get caught in car doors! Dangle down into toilet! Oh my oh my. He is a one trick pony, but I think he’ll win because the judges love him.

Judie, I agree with you that Brandon over does the straps! Now Kentaro is copying his look. Although I was multitasking while watching, I don't think I heard Brandon make comments about being mad that his "look" was being copied. Did I just miss it?

I really like Margarita's personality, but her dress this week was awful! It would have been a tough call for me on which of the two was the loser. I loved Kenya's dress and thought it was the most flattering and wearable of all. Ayanna is a great technician and I like her clothes, but the blouse could only be worn by someone who was a size 2.

I'm glad Tim used his save, but wonder if he would have saved Kentaro. Tim told Margarita that he liked her dress, so maybe he felt badly that he had advised her to keep on track. Time will tell, but I don't think she has solidified her style enough to be the winner.

I do think Tim would have saved Kentaro if he had been auf’d. Agree with you that Tim felt obligated to save Marguarita because he said “I like it” to the judges and I believe he told her he saw her vision.

I’m just so over Brandon’s straps. The posts on PR FB agree. Posters seem to feel Brandon has the win sewed up ([emoji6]) because his look is different. However, it certainly isn’t wearable! Those straps would get caught in car doors every time, and imagine the toilet issues! We’d have wet straps following us out of the bathroom.

I like Kenya’s personality a lot, but she has struggled. I think she’ll be auf’d next week. No clear vision coming through.

PR is my favorite show, but this season is not making me happy. Too much weird product placement (Shopkins? Dixie cups?). I just read Lexus is withdrawing from future ties with PR because of Weinstein’s actions. This year jcp had the accessory wall. What’s next? Dollar store? Sigh.

Ugh, I just wish Tim had not saved Margarita! The save was too "expected" to me, though I understand that he probably felt guilty for having approved her Wonder Woman costume. Still, I don't see her as in any way in competition for Fashion Week or the win. (Though I think that by this time they have all already shown at Fashion Week -- last 5 or 6(?) show so no one knows who actually won, right?) Never much cared for Margarita's looks, and she is too scattered, with absolutely no common thread to her designs. By her own admission, she thinks it's boring to have a point of view/signature style.

Yes, Brandon's straps would be annoying and impractical to wear, but so are jumpsuits, and the designers and the PR judges seemed -- at least in recent seasons -- to love those! Brandon is the judges' darling because apparently, no designer has ever done strappy unisex clothing before. I give him credit for being single-minded, if not practical. After all, Project Runway is almost never about practicality or wearability. It's all about looks being novel and "editorial."

I cannot imagine that Brandon will not make it to Fashion Week -- but his challenge will be to make an entire collection of looks that are distinguishable from each other.

I do love Brandon and would wear most of his clothes in a minute, but I pretty much hated this look, at least the bonnet and pants. The top(s) were okay with me. I don't have issues with the straps since it's runway, not real life.

Thanks, Scrapnana, for the link to the pics. Here are my (probably wrong) guesses:

1 Marguerita (because I don't like it)

2 Kenya (because I do like it)

3 Ayana (description points out everyone was covered up)

4 Kentaro (due to the pleating and the description of the other looks)

5 Brandon

6 Michael

PR already has no hair product sponsor. Their wall sponsors have been all over the place. It seems kind of several-steps-removed for Lexus to pull out because of Weinstein. Or was some of his horrible behavior directed towards people participating in PR? I've tried to avoid the details because it just disgusts me.