River cruising with a child...

chirogirl

Hello. I am possibly looking into a river cruise through France next summer with my husband and 7 year old son. It seems that I can not find a child friendly cruise line that will provide a bed for my son. I was told that we can travel with Amaworld but that he would have to sleep on the floor. I believe for the price of river cruising he at least deserves a cot. Anyway, if anyone could be of help directing me to a family friendly cruise line, I would most appreciate it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I am appalled that a company would suggest your child should sleep on the floor! River cruising is expensive and you would think that they would have some kind of a set up for three in a cabin. Why don't you ask your question on the River Cruising forum, also?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

Hello. I am possibly looking into a river cruise through France next summer with my husband and 7 year old son. It seems that I can not find a child friendly cruise line that will provide a bed for my son. I was told that we can travel with Amaworld but that he would have to sleep on the floor. I believe for the price of river cruising he at least deserves a cot. Anyway, if anyone could be of help directing me to a family friendly cruise line, I would most appreciate it.

I don't believe that the river cruise lines are really set up for children. When the cruise line will not provide a bed and suggests the floor, that should be a red flag.

It's possible that your son would soon be bored, I know mine would have been. While other passengers might be kind, some may not appreciate having children on the trip.

Several of the major cruise lines are doing summer European cruises and that might be a better fit. Disney has an excellent reputation and certainly provides a quality atmosphere for children http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/europe/

Good Luck!

Rightly, or wrongly, you can safely assume that river cruising companies do not want your child on board, neither do their target client demographic - empty nesters and retirees.

They design all of the ship's spaces with the luxury minded, older adult, in mind. Premium pricing, luxury amenities, all - inclusive food and drink. Not only will your child not enjoy this cruise, as there will nothing for him to do during the cruise, your fellow passengers will not appreciate his presence. Your son is likely to be cautioned not to run, play enthusiastically or make noise. A difficult challenge for a 7 year old to be sure.

It's wonderful that you wish to share French culture with your young son, however you may want to consider whether he will get much benefit from a river cruise.

As an alternative I'd recommend a mass market cruise line with French ports of call that does provide amenities for children or consider renting an RV in France and taking the lad on a driving tour. Much more likely to keep him engaged.

Good Luck!

:)

Though I appreciate all of your responses, I am sad to be judged simply because I have a well behaved, history loving 7 year old that doesn't need to be entertained constantly and would be just as content watching the sights go by as any other adult. We have taken him many places and to several countries where he ends up being well favored by those around him. I do agree the river cruises do have their marked niche but believe that they are slowly changing to become more family friendly. I guess until they are, we won't be travelling with them any time soon. I did look at the Tauck cruise but the one we wished to do was from Paris through Giverny, Rouen and Normandy Beach. My father was in WWII and I wanted to share that with him.

Though I appreciate all of your responses, I am sad to be judged .

who judged? we simply reported the truth. my parents sailed exclusively on river cruises and always reported that children were not encouraged under any circumstances.

that's the CRUISE LINE's marketing strategy not posters on CC judging you.

.....Chirogirl your kid doesn't want to get stuck on a boat full of ancient fossils whose biggest accomplishment in a day is having a B.M.......Welcome to C.C. and there will be some responses not written in the kindest terms but pay it no mind. Please thank your dad, part of the greatest generation, for our freedom. My dad past years ago and he was enlisted both in the WW2 and Korea. Hope you find a wonderful trip.

P.S. Go Buckeyes...:)

.....Chirogirl your kid doesn't want to get stuck on a boat full of ancient fossils whose biggest accomplishment in a day is having a B.M.......Welcome to C.C. and there will be some responses not written in the kindest terms but pay it no mind. Please thank your dad, part of the greatest generation, for our freedom. My dad past years ago and he was enlisted both in the WW2 and Korea. Hope you find a wonderful trip.

Well said!

Like!:D

Though I appreciate all of your responses, I am sad to be judged simply because I have a well behaved, history loving 7 year old that doesn't need to be entertained constantly and would be just as content watching the sights go by as any other adult. We have taken him many places and to several countries where he ends up being well favored by those around him. I do agree the river cruises do have their marked niche but believe that they are slowly changing to become more family friendly. I guess until they are, we won't be travelling with them any time soon. I did look at the Tauck cruise but the one we wished to do was from Paris through Giverny, Rouen and Normandy Beach. My father was in WWII and I wanted to share that with him.

It isn't anything you should take personally about your child.

The river boat cruise lines have made 'statements' about kids in general. They are not encouraging any child....... the best behaved, the most sociable, the most mature......... the message seems to be about the cruise line, not your DS.

Hope you find the perfect ship/itinerary.

How about you check out one of the drive-it-yourself boats in France, They have them all over Europe including France. Your child will be comfortable and you can pick out places to stop that will suit all 3 of you, Plus, it will be a wonderful experience doing it by yourself, going through locks, etc.

DON

Grand Isle Joe et al,

The issue I have with your comment, besides the trenchant, scatological nature of your insult, is that the very folks you describe as "ancient fossils" ARE the greatest generation.

I am sorry for your loss, but were your Dad alive today he would be a member of the "ancient fossils" club struggling to accomplish his daily routines. Aging is not a process for the faint of heart (are you aware suicide amongst the elderly is on the rise?) and you do the elderly a great disservice with your comments.

WWII ended in 1945. The Korean War (while technically not ended) ceased hostilities in 1953. The Vietnam War ended in 1975. The Cold War began in 1945 and continues in some fashion today.

Do the math. The men and women who served their countries during these times of armed conflict are the "ancient fossils" you so callously stain with your ill considered remarks.

Again I ask you, do the math. The senile, infirm elderly folk of today ARE the "ancient fossils" who fought for and built our countries.

I've traveled in luxury and I've backpacked across Europe. Both forms of travel appeal to me for different reasons. Former members of the armed forces are some of the most seasoned and curious travelers I've ever met. For some reason, military service seems to instill in many a desire to see the world. As a result you will find them on cruise ships, resorts, B&B, planes, trains and automibiles. They are invariably patient and kind.

The OP's orginal query concerned her well meant desire to share her love of history with her child. A river cruise may or may not be the best way for her to accomplish what is clearly a labour of love to her. However, you've taken her initial inquiry and perverted it into a soap box for a diatribe. What your reasons could possibly be for this escapes me.

But this November 11th, when you are at your local cenotaph commemorating those who serve and those who have fallen, take a moment to thank the "ancient fossils" amongst the veterans in attendance. And perhaps inquire as to the success of their morning BM.

Shame on you.

HTP

[quote name=HardToPort;40431940

But this November 11th' date=' when you are at your local cenotaph commemorating those who serve and those who have fallen, take a moment to thank the "ancient fossils" amongst the veterans in attendance. And perhaps inquire as to the success of their morning BM.

Shame on you.

HTP[/quote]

Lest we forget.

I hope the OP finds a way to share her love of history with her child.

Grand Isle Joe et al,

The issue I have with your comment, besides the trenchant, scatological nature of your insult, is that the very folks you describe as "ancient fossils" ARE the greatest generation.

I am sorry for your loss, but were your Dad alive today he would be a member of the "ancient fossils" club struggling to accomplish his daily routines. Aging is not a process for the faint of heart (are you aware suicide amongst the elderly is on the rise?) and you do the elderly a great disservice with your comments.

WWII ended in 1945. The Korean War (while technically not ended) ceased hostilities in 1953. The Vietnam War ended in 1975. The Cold War began in 1945 and continues in some fashion today.

Do the math. The men and women who served their countries during these times of armed conflict are the "ancient fossils" you so callously stain with your ill considered remarks.

Again I ask you, do the math. The senile, infirm elderly folk of today ARE the "ancient fossils" who fought for and built our countries.

I've traveled in luxury and I've backpacked across Europe. Both forms of travel appeal to me for different reasons. Former members of the armed forces are some of the most seasoned and curious travelers I've ever met. For some reason, military service seems to instill in many a desire to see the world. As a result you will find them on cruise ships, resorts, B&B, planes, trains and automibiles. They are invariably patient and kind.

The OP's orginal query concerned her well meant desire to share her love of history with her child. A river cruise may or may not be the best way for her to accomplish what is clearly a labour of love to her. However, you've taken her initial inquiry and perverted it into a soap box for a diatribe. What your reasons could possibly be for this escapes me.

But this November 11th, when you are at your local cenotaph commemorating those who serve and those who have fallen, take a moment to thank the "ancient fossils" amongst the veterans in attendance. And perhaps inquire as to the success of their morning BM.

Shame on you.

HTP[/quote

....Hmmp....must have touches a raw nerve.........note to self..."don't call an ancient fossil an ancient fossil". Noted............

Oh bye the way "Semper Fideis".;)

Back to the original subject!!

Unless you are set on a cruise I suggest you look at Rick Steves, "Paris and the Heart of France" land tour. http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/france/paris-france

Check the itinerary - I believe it covers everything you mentioned in 11 days. The castle under construction they visit - Guedelon- is being built using 13th century tools and techniques. All in costume but really building a castle. Fascinating for any history loving kid (or older kid like me). Our local guide at Normandy was really outstanding, too.

Whatever you do - Enjoy!!

Robbie

I love Rick Steves. Great idea. Thank you so much. This is my first time on this or any forum and while I thank those who helped me out for their kindness and direction, I didn't appreciate the unwarranted opinions and slams, especially against veterans and telling me what my child would or would not like. I suggest if you want to be respected in any forum, answer questions directly and keep your opinions to yourselves.

Another possibility are Barge Trips, you can rent a barge, or a barge with crew. Much more autonomy and a great experience in my opinion. Sorry I do not have a supplier, but I'm sure google can help.

I was thinking the same thing as far as a barge cruise goes. Some accommodate as few as six guests, perhaps you could recruit friends with a child to join you and customize the itinerary to your specific interests, splitting the cost between the two families.

The nice thing about the barge cruises is that it's in effect a private charter, so as long as you start and end at specific places on specific days, the itinerary is yours alone to determine, and you can ask them to "pull over" on a whim if you see something interesting.

Archived