*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

1. Where does the ship dock in Saint John?

Saint John has 2 cruise ship docking areas. The main cruise ship terminal is Pugsley Terminal located right downtown. The second terminal is

Long Wharf, located a 10 minute walk to downtown along the boardwalk or a short free shuttle ride. For a perspective of where the terminals are, go to: http://www.sjport.com/english/port_services/cruise_ships.html

The Princess ship is located at Pugsley Terminal, while the Royal Caribbean ship is located at Long Wharf. To find out where your ship docks, see: http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/visitsaintjohn/cruiseschedule.asp

A new cruise ship terminal building is currently under construction at Pugsley Terminal and is scheduled to be completed in September.

2. What is the weather like and what clothes should I bring?

In the summer months into September the days are pleasant around 70 degrees, however may be cooler in the morning or remain cool all day if it is foggy. If your excursion takes you inland, it will be warmer than along the coast. You should bring a light jacket onshore and pants as the fog can roll in and drop the temperature quickly. In October and November is is definately cooler and you should bring a warm jacket.

3. Are there attractions nearby the ship?

Yes. There are many attractions in the vicinity of the ship. The most popular is the Old Saint John City Market (1840); Market Square including the New Brunswick Museum; Barbour's General Store; Loyalist House; Loyalist Burial Ground; Imperial Theatre; Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride; Harbour Passage Walking Trail around the harbour and Trinity Royal Heritage Preservation Area (containing some of the oldest buildings in Canada). Information on these attractions can be found at www.tourismsaintjohn.com

4. How do I get to Reversing Falls?

You can walk to Reversing Falls in about 40 minutes. Follow the cranberry coloured Harbour Passage Walking Trail by the dock until it ends on Douglas Ave. outside the old New Brunswick Museum. Walk down Douglas Ave. until you reach the Reversing Falls Bridge. The lookout is on the other side of the Bridge. On the way there is an alternative viewing site called Fallsview Park. There are also taxis available to take you to the falls (approx. $7 CDN per car) or you could take a city bus from the front of City Hall for $2.25 (Route #4 West) - just let the driver know you want off at the falls so you don't have to worry about where to get off. The bus stops at Reversing Falls on the way back to the downtown area (Route East). If you are mobility impaired, there are low floor wheelchair accessible buses going to the falls at 8:15 9:55 11:35 1:15 2:55 and coming back from the falls at 8:50 10:30 12:10 1:50 3:30

5. Are there car rental agencies nearby?

Yes. Avis is on the same street as Pugsley Terminal (turn left and go two blocks when leaving dock area). For those docking at Long Wharf, Enterprise Car Rental is convenient. To get there, exit the gates and go to the far end of Harbour Station (large building with robin's blue roof) - it is located across the street. If you are looking to rent a car to tour the city on your own, consider the option of a taxi tour instead. Saint John streets are confusing with many one ways and you can get lost easily.

6. Is Saint John mobility impaired friendly?

Yes. Harbour Passage trail is fully accessible, as is Market Square, Brunswick Square Shopping Centre and the Old City Market. Saint John does have hills in the cruise ship area, but can be overcome by using the "inside passage pedway system" in the complexes mentioned above using elevators.

7. Can a child or senior go on the Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride? Do you get wet on the ride? Where do I find out information on this attraction?

Every participant must be 42" tall. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. During two hours at low tide, all participants must be atleast 13 years old. The ride is not for pregnant women or individuals with back problems. You will get wet, so bring a change of clothes and a towel. Their website is http://www.jetboatrides.com

8. Are there unique shops in the cruise ship area?

There are many small family-owned shops in the area selling unique items and souvenirs. The main shopping areas are the Trinity Royal Heritage Preservation Area (old section of city where ship docks); Brunswick Square Shopping Centre and the Old Saint John City Market. In addition there is a tent set up along the dock with locals selling crafts and souvenirs.

9. Is there a drug store/pharmacy in the area?

The closest drug store is Lawton's Drugs (similar to CVS or Eckerd) located on the first level of the Brunswick Square Shopping Centre.

10. What is there to do for children in the area?

The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square has exhibits of interest to children, including a 40' North Atlantic Right Whale. Along Harbour Passage Walking Trail under the Harbour Bridge is an area to watch the harbour seals play in the water. The Canada Games Aquatic Centre ($5.00)(www.aquatics.nb.ca) has an Olympic size pool with diving boards and platforms, water slide, tarzan rope, water toys along with 3 other leisure pools and 2 hottubs. The Old City Market has vendors that sell home-made candy. UZone on King St. is a swanky XBox gaming centre and Internet cafe (http://209.44.109.50/index.html)

11. Where can I find Internet Access?

Cheap Internet Access is available at the top of the Old Saint John City Market ($3.00/hr) - take the elevator to the third floor to PRUDE Community Access Centre. UZone on King St. is a modern Internet cafe.

12. Do merchants take American Dollars?

Merchants takes American Dollars at a fair exchange rate; however most will give back Canadian Dollars in change. Ask before purchasing what their policy is. Credit cards are widely accepted if you do not wish to accumulate Canadian currency.

13. Do taxis offer tours?

Yes, taxis are waiting should you wish to go on a city-wide tour. There is a set rate as the cabs do not have meters.

14. Is there a major shopping centre nearby with large department stores?

McAllister Place Shopping Centre and big box stores are located in East Saint John and is $10 by taxi.

15. Are there good locations to take a picture of the ship in the harbour?

The best location is atop Fort Howe, the hill overlooking the end of the harbour. Bus tours will make a stop here or a taxi will take you. Alternatively you can take a picture of the ship from across the harbour by following the Harbour Passage Trail and stopping at the Harbour Bridge footing course for a great perspective.

16. Can you recommend a seafood restaurant?

There are 3 great seafood restaurants in the area. Grannan's is located in Market Square; Steamer's Lobster Company is located across the street from the cruise ship dock; and Billy's Seafood is located at the top end of the Old Saint John City Market. All are great restaurants; however Billy's is consistently rated by locals as the best in an annual survey by a local publication. All have outdoor patios.

17. Where can I buy Cuban cigars?

Howard's Tobacco - exit the top end of the Old Saint John City Market on Charlotte St. and the store is on the immediate left of the market entrance. John's Tobacco - along the "inside passage pedway" on the 2nd level of Brunswick Square across from Tim Horton's Donuts.

Remember US law prohibits you from bringing them back into the USA.

18. Are there beaches nearby?

You will require a car to go to nearby beaches. The water of the Bay of Fundy is very cold. There are swimming lakes in Rockwood Park that are a pleasant temperature.

19. Can you recommend an area for photographers for unique features of the city? Is there a camera store that offers same day or 1 hour photofinishing?

The area immediately off the ship is rich in architecture and history. I recommend exploring this area, including Princess St., Trinity Church, King's Square, Queen's Square, and the Loyalist Burial Ground. Appleby's offers 1 hour and same-day photofinishing. They are located to the left of the Old Saint John City Market on Germain St.

20. Is there a liquor store near the ship?

The liquor store is located in Prince Edward Square - kitty corner from the far end of the Loyalist Burial Ground.

21. Are there banks nearby?

All major Canadian banks are represented on King St. and all have bank machines.

22. Are there local pubs you can recommend?

Princess St. across from the cruise terminal has well-recognized local pubs in the area, including O'Leary's and Callahan's.

23. I'm travelling with a medical condition. What kind of care can I expect if I have a medical emergency in Saint John?

Saint John has an excellent acute care facility with highly specialized tertiary services, including trauma and cardiac care.

24. What time zone is Saint John in?

Saint John is in the Atlantic Time Zone, which is 1 hour ahead of Eastern Time Zone. Ship's time may not be adjusted, so make sure you know what time to be back to the ship.

25. Is it true you receive a gift for coming ashore?

Women receive a fresh long-stem rose and men receive a souvenir pin.

26. What are some interesting facts about the area?

Where the ship docks was settled by Loyalists fleeing the USA in 1785. Benedict Arnold made Saint John his home for a few years. Hollywood actors Donald Sutherland and Walter Pigeon were born here. You can catch a glimpse of the largest oil refinery in Canada (350,000 bpd) by walking through King's Square and continuing down King St East for 4 blocks until you reach Courtney Bay. Here you will also see ships loading refined fuels destined for the USA Northeast. Saint John has become known as the "Energy Hub" of the northeast. New energy projects include a second nuclear power plant, second 350,000 bpd oil refinery and a Liquified Natural Gas Terminal. The city proper has approx. 69,000 people, with 123,000 people in the immediate region.

27. Are there any restaurants that offer an English traditional afternoon tea?

The Infusion tea room offers afternoon tea. (http://www.sjcitymarket.ca/merchants/infusion.html)

28. Can you recommend any hidden gems in the city, maybe off the beaten path? (Note: These are my personal opinions and I'm not compensated in any way)

How about opening an old door and stepping into Paris, France? That's the feeling you get when you visit Nougatine et Chocolat located at historic 124 Prince William St. Very affordable yummy french pastries and traditional French meals. Operated by Immigrants from France wearing bakery hats - any language barrier is quickly overcome by the smiles.

Treat yourself with something from the Feel Good store at 89 Germain St.

Want to know what a store looked and felt like in the late 1800's and early 1900's? Step into Imprint bookstore near the bottom of King St.

Try some Gelato from Opera Bistro on Prince William St. and be transported to Italy.

Visit the mayor at City Hall at the foot of King St. - the current mayor has been known to invite cruise ship visitors into his office for a view of the city and a cup of tea.

Go to a corner store and buy a Cadbury chocolate bar you can't buy in the USA, including Wunderbar, Mr. Big, Crispy Crunch, Sweet Marie and Caramilk.

Go sit and have an ice cream from the city market at the Beaver Fountain in Loyalist Burial Ground.

Take a $2 tour of the Imperial Theatre on King's Square and be awed as you step back in time.

28. Continued....

Rent a small Karaoke room for you and your friends at Sun and Star lounge on the corner of Germain St. and Grannan St.

Try a local favorite cafe - Java Moose on Prince William St. or the Old City Market.

Explore art galleries in the area, including Peter Buckland Gallery and Handworks Gallery.

Sit and people watch in King's Square, or to have some quiet solitude and step back into time, sit in Queen Square 3 blocks to the south. Samuel de Champlain will keep you company.

Try to get into Beatty and the Bistro in the Admiral Beatty building on King's Square - recognized in "Where to Eat in Canada".

Visit Barbour's General Store to really feel like you've got sucked into a time machine.

Visit the Hayward and Warwick's China (glassware) museum on Princess St.

Visit the Keirstead's Flower Museum above the flower shop at 143 Charlotte St.

For some great Canadiana, visit the Roots factory outlet at the East Point Shopping Centre.

Go to Quality Convenience store on King St. (beside large breasted Hawaiian hula girl) for the best (and most affordable) Thai food from the "Thai Hut" in the back of the store. Enjoy while listening to Latin music and people watching.

Go to the infamous Tim Horton's Donut shop on King St. to find out what a double-double is.

Sit amongst and blend in with the wooden dummies at the Market Square clock and people watch.

Find a hidden treasure from one of the few pond shops along Union St.

Shop for risque lingerie at Xclusive Boutique on Waterloo St.

4. How do I get to Reversing Falls?

You can walk to Reversing Falls in about 40 minutes. Follow the cranberry coloured Harbour Passage Walking Trail by the dock until it ends on Douglas Ave. outside the old New Brunswick Museum. Walk down Douglas Ave. until you reach the Reversing Falls Bridge. The lookout is on the other side of the Bridge. On the way there is an alternative viewing site called Fallsview Park. There are also taxis available to take you to the falls (approx. $7 CDN per car) or you could take a city bus from the front of City Hall for $2.25 (Route #4 West) - just let the driver know you want off at the falls so you don't have to worry about where to get off. The bus stops at Reversing Falls on the way back to the downtown area (Route East). If you are mobility impaired, there are low floor wheelchair accessible buses going to the falls at 8:15 9:55 11:35 1:15 2:55 and coming back from the falls at 8:50 10:30 12:10 1:50 3:30

Acey - Great thread but question about above.

How far are the falls from the bus stop and taxi drop-off points? I have bad knees and cannot walk too far for too long without being able to sit and rest?

Thanks.

For some great Canadiana, visit the Roots factory outlet at the East Point Shopping Centre.

Where is the East Point Shopping Center located? I looked on the Saint John site and didn't see it listed.

Thanks again for your information.

Where is the East Point Shopping Center located? I looked on the Saint John site and didn't see it listed.

Thanks again for your information.

East Point is quite new and not very large. If you go to google maps, it is located just off the Westmorland Road to the left before you come to Consumers Drive. It is so new that it just shows as a construction site on the satellite view. You would need to take a taxi there as it is too far from the dock for you to walk. There is a larger mall (McAllister) just down the street, as well as a Wal-Mart. They are in the areas that show as large parking lots between Consumers Drive and McAllister Drive. Next to the Wal-Mart is a large Winners, which is a Canadian equivalent of TJ Maxx.

Hi

We will be in St. John in August with our two kids who will be 8 and 12. Is there a place near by where we could kayak? The cruise kayak excursion is $125 per person which is more than we would like to spend. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Katie

P.S. I definitely put Nougatine et Chocolat on our list. Yum!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Updated 2008 facts are excellent....thank you.

Will be in Saint John in October for a brief stop.

Printed them out for our reading pleasure & references.

Also mentioned same on another posting site.

Hello and thank you so much for all of the great info both of you offer here.

I have a question I'd like your opinion on.

Our ship offers a tour of St Martins including lunch. However, it is a 5 and a half hour tour which won't leave much time for seeing other things in St. John. Although St. Martins sounds very interesting, are we making a mistake by booking this tour and missing other sites in St. Johns? Should we just skip the tour and do some things on our own?

Hello and thank you so much for all of the great info both of you offer here.

I have a question I'd like your opinion on.

Our ship offers a tour of St Martins including lunch. However, it is a 5 and a half hour tour which won't leave much time for seeing other things in St. John. Although St. Martins sounds very interesting, are we making a mistake by booking this tour and missing other sites in St. Johns? Should we just skip the tour and do some things on our own?

I think it's a matter of personal preference. Does what St. Martin's offer interest you? The best part of Saint John IMO is where the ship docks and the historical area. What I like I'm sure is different from you - all I can say is I don't think you'll be horribly disappointed sticking around where the ship docks and really say you checked out Saint John.

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose what I'm most interested in is the Bay of Fundy and I'm really hoping to get to see some of the tide change. The St Martins trip mentioned being able to go on the beach to see caves created by the tides.

I think we're going to skip the tour tho and just hang out at St. John's. As I said, 5 and a half hours will eat up almost all of our port time and I don't want to visit St. John's without "seeing" St. Johns. :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose what I'm most interested in is the Bay of Fundy and I'm really hoping to get to see some of the tide change. The St Martins trip mentioned being able to go on the beach to see caves created by the tides.

I think we're going to skip the tour tho and just hang out at St. John's. As I said, 5 and a half hours will eat up almost all of our port time and I don't want to visit St. John's without "seeing" St. Johns. :D

I don't think there is any "wrong" choice in what to do - whether staying in Saint John or taking a tour - either way I'm sure you'll have a great visit. Perhaps an alternative is to hire a driver to take you to St. Martin's for maybe a 3 hour excursion, leaving plenty of time to explore the attractions uptown where the ship docks. The money you would save from the ship tour would easily pay for a driver with lots left over. I don't personally know any drivers, but I recall someone posting a name last week and they had an excellent experience with them.

We had planned to rent a car from Avis (just a block or so from the pier) and drive to St Martins when we were in Saint John a few years ago, but it was so foggy that we ended up going to a local park called Irving Nature Preserve (or something like that)...and it was great! We were able to stop at Reversing Falls on the way there and on the way back to see the falls flowing in both directions, and had lots of time to slowly drive the "loop" at Irving and stop for hiking and tidepool exploration and wildlife watching (seals and birds). The coastline there reminded us a lot of the north shore of Lake Superior, but the tide change was massive and impressive...and it was fun to see the same locations "before" and "after". We ended our day with a wonderful seafood meal near the pier (great lobster rolls)...all in all a relaxing and very economical alternative. Avis gave us great directions, and we found the driving to be easy.

• 1 month later...

Acey you have been great with your responses and recommendations.

Can you recommend a good beer, preferably that is only available in the area, that I can bring back to my husband? He likes to drink beer, not colored water with a little bit of a head on top. Right now he's into Guinness and is not overly fond of the strong tasting wheat beers.

Thanks so much,

If we opt for a private taxi tour will the driver accept US currency as payment or should we be prepared with Canadian currency? I think this type of tour appeals to us and we can get the driver to take us to the sites we want to see. Just wondering how to pay.

Thanks.

If we opt for a private taxi tour will the driver accept US currency as payment or should we be prepared with Canadian currency? I think this type of tour appeals to us and we can get the driver to take us to the sites we want to see. Just wondering how to pay.

Thanks.

Your best bet would to just pay by credit card. I'm sure most would take $USD but it may differ individual to individual - so it's best to have other options besides $USD.

Acey you have been great with your responses and recommendations.

Can you recommend a good beer, preferably that is only available in the area, that I can bring back to my husband? He likes to drink beer, not colored water with a little bit of a head on top. Right now he's into Guinness and is not overly fond of the strong tasting wheat beers.

Thanks so much,

Saint John is home to Canada's oldest independant brewery - Moosehead Breweries. http://www.moosehead.com/

It was made famous when someone stole a whole transport truck full of it headed to Mexico! Definately any Moosehead product.

Beer is not sold in corner stores and will have to be purchased at NB Liquor located in Prince Edward Square - 5 min walk from Old City Market.

Saint John is home to Canada's oldest independant brewery - Moosehead Breweries. http://www.moosehead.com/

It was made famous when someone stole a whole transport truck full of it headed to Mexico! Definately any Moosehead product.

Beer is not sold in corner stores and will have to be purchased at NB Liquor located in Prince Edward Square - 5 min walk from Old City Market.

Thanks, off to NB Liquor's we go to buy anything Moosehead.

Archived