Do Vancouver Cabs take Credit/Debit Cards?

As stated, credit cards are yes for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if an American debit card does not work in some places in Canada. We have tried unsuccessfully to use our Canadian debit card for shopping in Washington State, and it was a no-go.

Credit card is the way to go, quick and easy.

Hey PD - here's to you and the DW having a great Panama Canal cruise and happy New Year - just a tip from my trip through the canal - if you intend to watch the ship go through the locks from the bow you will need to get up there around 4AM as it seems that some people almost sleep on the deck in order to get a good position to get the best photos etc and don't seem to want anyone else around them.

Perhaps with your wife in a scooter there will be a place where you can get access without the hassle of pushing your way through the crowds.

As for your suggestion on the other thread - I doubt that anyone would want one of my home cooked breakfasts - the worst buffet is better than my cooking.

Cheers and have a good trip

Dennis

I doubt that they can take debit cards. It's a much more "online" technology than credit cards are.

American credit cards need to be on the NYCE network to be accepted in Canada. Interac, our national debit card system, only has a deal with NYCE as far as I know.

Thanks for all your responses. Our debit card is a VISA debit that can also be processed as a debit card so a little more research may be involved to get a definitive answer.

Since it is about the only thing that I might need CAD$ for while there, I was hoping to use it instead of having to exchange US$ for CAD$.

Any other help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Canada does not support the usage of Visa or MasterCard as debit cards, only through the credit card system. All debit card transactions are processed by Interac and all banks belong to the Interac clearing house for debit transactions (they had to let all banks join, or they would have been shut down for anti-trust violations). So, the card must be part of the NYCE network for it to be processed as a debit card in Canada. A card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo, it will be cleared through the ACH/PCH and not as a debit transaction.

Canadian banking law is very different than American banking law in regards to credit cards and debit cards. In fact, it's a violation of anti-trust laws in Canada for a bank to offer both MasterCard and Visa... something that many American banks do. Canada's banking system is considered the world's second safest banking system, surpassed only by Switzerland's.

American Express in Canada offers a charge card and a credit card. They are legally prevented from allowing Canadians to take a cash advance on their charge card and can't allow Canadians to have a PIN to withdraw cash from an ATM using the American Express charge card, only the American Express credit card.

I know that in Toronto there are a number of taxis that are now accepting debit cards. Not sure about Vancouver. But even if they do, they will not be able to process a charge as a debit transaction unless the card is on the Interac network. Interac's only agreement in the US is with NYCE.

• 3 weeks later...

US VISA or MC Debit Cards will be accepted by all taxis in Vancouver but will be processed as a credit card and not as a debit card. Earlier mention of Canadian debit cards not working in Washington State is both true and not true, depends on the establishment.

If you use a US VISA or MC debit card in a cab, suggest you don't call it a debit card, most drivers will not be aware of the difference between US VISA or MC Debit Cards and Canadian debit cards (none of which are affiliated with VISA or MC as far as I know) and may not accept them.

Canadian debit cards definately are not accepted by Vancouver taxis.

• 2 weeks later...

Ephraim,

I'm not sure I understand you properly with regard to the use of US debit cards. When you say

So, the card must be part of the NYCE network for it to be processed as a debit card in Canada. A card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo, it will be cleared through the ACH/PCH and not as a debit transaction.

do you mean that if I use my US debit card (which has the VISA logo and can be used as a credit card) at a Canadian bank to withdraw cash the withdrawal will be treated as a cash advance as if I used a "real" credit card?

Putterdude made the excellent suggestion that I get Canadian cash from an ATM upon arrival in Vancouver but if I'm going to be hit with the immediate interest and fees from any bank for doing so, I'd prefer to convert cash before I leave home.

Ephraim,

I'm not sure I understand you properly with regard to the use of US debit cards. When you say

So, the card must be part of the NYCE network for it to be processed as a debit card in Canada. A card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo, it will be cleared through the ACH/PCH and not as a debit transaction.

do you mean that if I use my US debit card (which has the VISA logo and can be used as a credit card) at a Canadian bank to withdraw cash the withdrawal will be treated as a cash advance as if I used a "real" credit card?

Putterdude made the excellent suggestion that I get Canadian cash from an ATM upon arrival in Vancouver but if I'm going to be hit with the immediate interest and fees from any bank for doing so, I'd prefer to convert cash before I leave home.

I am talking about the merchants, not the banks or their ATMs. The merchants in Canada clear all their DEBIT transactions through Interac. Interac's only agreement is to accept Interac (which all banks in Canada are a member) and those under NYCE in the US. Anything else can't be processed as a DEBIT transaction.

If your card has a Visa or MasterCard logo in Canada any transaction with a merchant must go through the credit card clearing house. Therefore at the merchant they will process the transaction as a credit card transaction.

As far as I know, in Canada, we do not have Visa / Mastercard debit cards or the ability to process them as such. So look at the back of the card. If it says NYCE on it. Like this. 0a00_logo_nyce.jpgThen you are definitely able to tell them to hit the debit button. If the card has the Interac logo on it. Like this, interac.gif Then you can use your card for debit anywhere in Canada. But Visa and Mastercard can only be processed by the merchant as a credit card, even though your bank may be treating it differently.

Canadian law is very different than US law. You will have to ask your bank how your card is encoded. If it's encoded so that you can make a withdrawl from a chequing or savings account, then it's a normal ATM/ABM card. But if you have to choose the "cash advance" button... that's a totally different animal.

What I can say is that my bank card (which has neither a MasterCard or Visa logo) works at almost every bank in the US for withdrawing cash and asks if I want to withdraw from my Chequing or Savings, albeit they can't seem to spell chequing properly :p My MasterCard is encoded specially to act as a bank card in emergencies, so that works as well. But my bank had to specifically program that functionality, it's not a normal functionality in Canada.

I would imagine that if you use your card as a bank card in the US then it will work as a bank card in Canada. ATMs usually work on the Cirrus or Maestro networks.

Sorry that this is such a long winded reply. I would also ask your bank, they should know... or at least someone at head office should (since most of the people at the branches likely don't even know anything about International transactions at all.)

• 4 months later...
Guest gpatrick

I know this is an old post, Some corrections need to be made.

Most U.S. issued Debit cards do not go through ach network.

A U.S. issued Debit card with a Mastercard or Visa logo can be used in Canada and other parts of the world as a credit card and can also be used as pin transaction in the U.S. and other parts of the world. Both methods will come out of your checking account.

In Canada, it will go through the Mastercard or Visa credit card system for approval or denial.

Just tell the merchant to run the card as a Credit, it will still come out of your checking account.

Just make sure you tell your bank that you will be using it in Canada, so it can be correctly activated for international transactions. Take your bank's phone number, in case you have to call them.

The other poster was confusing the Interac card and using in the U.S.

To use it in the U.S. it either has to have the NYCE or Maestro logo and be activated for use international. American credit/debit cards do not need to be on the Nyce to be accepted to be accepted in Canada. That is a misnomer.

In some rare cases.

If the U.S. debit cards that have the Maestro Logo and the merchant takes Maestro card, it can be used as a pin transaction in Canada. The issuing bank must support international pin transactions. The merchant must force the card to use the Maestro network. The reason, because the coding of are debit cards makes it look like it is an interac, when it is not. I read that in a Canadian newspaper article.

• 3 years later...
Reviving an old thread instead of posting a new one -- is there a service fee when Vancouver taxis accept credit cards? I know there is one in Singapore (10% or so).

I am familiar with the fee you are referring to having run into it in come US cities but No that is not the case in Vancouver....however be aware that your US credit card company or bank may levy a foreign transaction fee.

Archived