Rome excursion with 3yr old

Memsy87

Hey everyone!

We’re booked on Fantasia ex Barcelona 19 September and realistically the only day trip that appeals to us is Rome.

I’ve been, but my husband hasn’t and I’d love my daughter to have the experience - regardless of whether she remembers LOL.

My question is, has anyone done this with a toddler and is there any do’s and Don’ts?

Are we maybe better off heading to Rome on our own and doing a couple of the sights and making our own way back to the ship, rather than spring 6-7 hrs on a guided tour?

Thanks in advance [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, yes we have been cruising with our daughter since she was approx 3.

We have taken her in to Rome twice now (1st at 3yrs, 2nd at 8yrs old).and we all loved it and have some lovely memories.

I'd say that with careful planning and choices you can have a perfectly lovely time.

Do's

- Take a light rugged buggy - (pavements of Rome are uneven but manageable).

- Pack a "silvered sun umbrella" - one of those that clips on to your buggy or pram. Invaluable whilst you are out and about to protect your child from the sun (the UV protective ones)and to create a shady nap spot.

- Loads of suncream and wet wipes (of course).

- Lots of hats and sunglasses

- UV swim wear (long legs and sleeves)

- Work around your normal timetable/schedule.

- Book short excursions (we didnt do any more than 4hrs and not every day)

- Do just take a stroll along the seafront of each location (we did this in marseilles - strolled to a beach had a paddle and came back in time for a nap). This means you can still go see things but entirely at your own pace and if your little one becomes overtired or hungry getting back ot the ship is just a stroll away.

- Do check out the kids club .

- Do consider just jumping on the train to Rome yourselves (its quite easy).

- Do plan ahead and research your destinations. We found there is lots to do without participating in any mass excursions. With a little one we wanted to avoid lots of standing about, queing or long coach journeys. So we actually just enjoyed freestyling..taking a walk through the destinations, or along the coast - then back for afternoon tea and a nap. We found that by leaving the ship mid morning this avoided all the excursions queues and we also always tried to time coming back well in advance of the crowds. For us a few hours off was enough.

- Do take any medication or first aid items with you.

-

Don't :

- Book long excursions (you dont know how little one will be)

- Plan to do anything strenuous or go on long coach trips - just take it easy.

- Worry - you will have a lovely time!

Rome: First time.

We took the buggy and strolled from the ship to the train station.

From the train station we grabbed a taxi straight to the Forum/Colleseum.

We took an hour or so just strolling around the forum (bought headphones with voice over). we packed a picnic for my daughter.

We grabbed icecreams nearby. The roads are bumpy with a stroller but this just meant my daughter nodded off a lot.

The umbrella was essential as the sun in August was very hot. We had the obligatory baby bag with all of the usual essentials including water.

We decided to go into a little italian restaurant for lunch. We all had spag bol - the best we have ever had. Even my daughter had some.

Then we took a taxi back to the train station (there are buses etc but we didnt want the hassle) and caught an early afternoon train back.

I think we spent no more than 4 hours total. This was just enough for us factoring in the needs of our daughter.

On our 2nd trip to Rome we decided to hire a guide/driver. This was fabulous and a great learning opportunity for all of us.

Hope this helps.

Hi !

Thank you so much for that reply. Really really helpful! I’ll definitely start looking into the train option.

She loves pizza and pasta so I’m hoping Rome is the place for her !

Hi !

Thank you so much for that reply. Really really helpful! I’ll definitely start looking into the train option.

She loves pizza and pasta ���� so I’m hoping Rome is the place for her ! ��

You should take a look at the Port of Call Med Italy board where there are many posts about getting to the train station in Civitavecchia. The new bus drop point is much further from the train station as in days past, but there is an inexpensive bus option to get you to the station. You should also research "BIRG" tickets which include round trip train plus all day's use of Rome's public transportation system.

Hank