Additional input on the May 26, Cook Islands Cruise

doug52

Sounds wonderful Doug, think we will try to book them for next year. I was just looking at their website this weekend. Did you do this privately too and just join others on the boat? Can I ask the cost for your second day tour? Many many thanks Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wendy, I booked the Pure Snorkeling tour directly through their website and paid up front a cost of $112 US per person to join a shared tour. However, they guarantee it will be at most 8 customers and the guide on the boat. I booked this well in advance of our cruise, as they could sell out. We were on their boat with other couples from land based vacations. Rich(aerobee) and Mary also took this tour, but they went on day one of our trip, we went on day two.

Doug

Hi Doug, I know you’re not posting pictures but could you post a picture of your wife’s tifiafia? I haven’t seen any that were half done. And if you don’t mind about what you paid for it. I would love to get another one. Specially if I could work on it also. Thank you.

Cruisefun, I didn't think to take a picture of it when we bought it. Let me talk to the Wife about getting it out, she hasn't started on it yet.

The shop we went to, right next to the market, had a few quilts totally hand made and ready for purchase, but the majority of the quilts were those that the pattern was applied but needing the hours of stitching to finish them. The cost on our quilt was approximately $275.

Doug

Cruisefun, I didn't think to take a picture of it when we bought it. Let me talk to the Wife about getting it out, she hasn't started on it yet.

The shop we went to, right next to the market, had a few quilts totally hand made and ready for purchase, but the majority of the quilts were those that the pattern was applied but needing the hours of stitching to finish them. The cost on our quilt was approximately $275.

Doug

I can’t wait to see it.

Tahaa and Moorea,

What can I say about the private Motu on Tahaa that hasn't already been said? A fantastic relaxing day after two very active days on BB. We didn't do much except drink and sit in the shade on the lounge chairs and stand and talk in the water with other PG guests.

Oh, and my Wife did some shopping with the vendors and found the pearl necklace she really liked. Not sure if we got the best quality, but she really liked the peacock pearls and they look fabulous on her. I even came in at the end and had them throw in some pearl earrings at a reduced cost.

That night we went back to La Veranda for our second time with the new menu. Forgot to write down what all I had, but I remember an excellent mushroom risotto and an outstanding dessert, a lemon meringue tart.

Moorea, we had planned two activities with Moorea Activity Center(MAC) which got a discount because we did both of them. We booked the longest ATV tour for the first day and the longest Jet Ski tour for the second day. We got lucky on the first day as we were the only ATV customers so we got a private tour. This is a fabulous tour, we had a great time touring all over Moorea - Belvedere look out, agricultural gardens, juice stop, jam stop, and then the climb up to Magic Mountain.

The guide took lots of pictures of us which are available on their facebook page for us to retrieve, included in the price.

And also, there location is only about 5 minutes from where we tendered in by there 4 x 4. Very convenient.

The second day we did the jet ski, and it was also very comprehensive. My only caution on this tour is our guide went flat out as fast as possible between locations. Sometimes this meant about 20 minutes at a time and my back started to feel this. The other two couples with us were from land based resorts, younger, and had no problem keeping up. I brought up more than once that going that fast was bothering my back, but the guide never slowed down. I had the other couples go ahead of us, but to keep the guide in sight, I had to go very fast and catch up at the end of each stop.

Again, the guide took pictures of us that are available on facebook.

Now, with that being said, we had a good time, did some snorkeling, the guide fed the rays and sharks, and toured around most of Moorea.

Doug

So now you know why Moorea is an easy island to love :cool:

Moorea was really the only island that we did an extensive land tour and it was amazing on the ATV's.

Doug

So, to finish my recap of of our PG cruise, for us this has been our favorite vacation of all time for the following reasons:

1. The crew of PG: Everyone goes out of their way to provide a luxury experience on this ship. The cruise director(Maya) was very personable and we saw her everywhere and spoke to her several times. Our cabin attendant did a great job, and was available when needed. All of the bar staff worked very hard and knew your names almost immediately. The waiters did a great job every night and also called us by name wherever they were working. Special nod to Ricardo, bar manager for the ship, who was literally everywhere, and who personally saw that we had a wine that matched our dinner every night. We loved spending time in the piano bar listening to Alex. Very personable and fun to be with. We saw the Captain several times including on our private day on Tahaa beach.

2. Guest hosts: We had a great group of guest hosts which stayed with the ship the entire trip(unlike mass market ships where the hosts come and go). The magician not only did two major shows in the grand salon, but also was in the piano bar on three separate occasions doing close up magic table by table. The singer, Johnny Ross, not only did two shows but also spontaneously got up and sang with Alex in the piano bar frequently and he also sang in the disco at least once that I experienced. Our cookbook author and winemaker did three separate events which included a sample of the dish prepared and wine to go with it. The quality of the wine provided to everyone far surpassed any I have had on larger ships where they do a tasting and it was free to all. For instance, on their last joint session in the grand salon, she served us three wines - a blend that has become one of my favorite week day drinkers(Palazza del Toro- about $20 at Bevmo), a super Tuscan which sells for about $75 and her flagship Amarone that retails for around $100. Once completed she offered that these wines would be available until they ran out at dinner that night. After the event was over, I found Ricardo and had him secure our table a bottle of the Amarone for dinner. No charge for this super premium wine!

3. The ship. Yes, it is older and not fancy like some of the large, newer ships we have been on, but very comfortable, well maintained, and perfect for our destinations. We would not hesitate to book this ship again.

4. Our package deal. Since this was our first venture to this area, we let PG take care of everything other than shore excursions. Not having to worry about anything was worth any small additional cost. Hey, we are on

vacation, let PG take care of it. :D

5. Our post cruise extension to Vahine Private Island Resort. So, I could not find any info on this resort from any CC cruiser except on TripAdvisor, but this experience was so special that I am going to separate this experience on a new thread that I will post shortly.

Needless to say we now have the FP flu and we will return!

Doug

Thank you for the review of your trip. I am glad that you were happy with the wines as I remember you had some concerns about that pre cruise. Agree that Ricardo is a gem. His superior service and smiling face helped to make our last cruise (no. 9... serious flu 'sufferer') a standout. We loved the Sofitel Moorea pre cruise but going to check out the Vahine resort for next time. Cheers!

Thank you for the review of your trip. I am glad that you were happy with the wines as I remember you had some concerns about that pre cruise. Agree that Ricardo is a gem. His superior service and smiling face helped to make our last cruise (no. 9... serious flu 'sufferer') a standout. We loved the Sofitel Moorea pre cruise but going to check out the Vahine resort for next time. Cheers!

The included wines were better than I expected. We had a Chilean Cabernet blend from Montes(one of the very best winemakers in Chile) that was perfect for a steak. We had two different Rhone blends from France that were also very good and went with several meals. And for fish and appetizers we had a nice French white bordeaux. And, of course the Allegrini Amarone which was spectacular. I did bring two 2005 French bordeaux wines with me, but I reserved those for our dinners at Vahine.

Ricardo is outstanding, and he literally seemed to work non-stop every day.

Doug

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for you to book your next PG cruise ;)

I know, it will be difficult to wait, but we already have 2019 booked and we are possibly going to do the Viking Midnight Sun cruise with another couple in 2020. Maybe 2021, if we can wait that long :D.

Doug

Ricardo. I'll have to ask David. I think he's the one who had just gotten a promotion from the pool bar when we were on last fall! Great guy, very good personality for the hospitality industry!

If so, well deserved promotion. He may a big difference in our enjoyment of evening meals and bar service.

Doug

Thank you Doug for your helpful reflections....I, too, have been taking notes over the last 10 months and my husband and I are so excited to board the PG cruise on July 18 for ten nights.

We are flying into Tahiti for a few nights beforehand to acclimatize...and then staying at the St. Regis on Bora Bora post cruise.

We are sooooo excited to be see this beautiful area of the world and to celebrate a milestone birthday and our 10th Anniversary.

Thanks for taking the time to report back, I will as well.

Cheers,

Lisa :)

Thank you Doug for your helpful reflections....I, too, have been taking notes over the last 10 months and my husband and I are so excited to board the PG cruise on July 18 for ten nights.

We are flying into Tahiti for a few nights beforehand to acclimatize...and then staying at the St. Regis on Bora Bora post cruise.

We are sooooo excited to be see this beautiful area of the world and to celebrate a milestone birthday and our 10th Anniversary.

Thanks for taking the time to report back, I will as well.

Cheers,

Lisa :)

Great, will look forward to your revew! The Regis looked fabulous from the water as we went by on one of our snorkeling tours.

Doug