First Celebrity Cruise Questions (Equinox July 14, 2018)

IrishCowboy

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise next month on the Equinox, July 14. We have 4 adults booked in 2 Concierge Class Veranda rooms. I have a few questions that I am hoping recent Equinox cruisers can answer:

1). What time does boarding start? We like to maximize our time onboard and get on the ship as soon as possible.

2). Are dining packages offered onboard or do they have to be booked in advance?

3). We currently have the classic beverage package and are considering upgrading to the Premium Beverage Package. Can the upgrade be purchased later in the week and only paying for the remaining days of the cruise or does it have to be purchased on the first day?

Feel free to add any other tips, hints, or suggestions. Its our first Celebrity cruise and we are looking forward to how Celebrity stands up against Disney and NCL.

Thanks for your help!

Love the Equinox hope you do too.

We try to get there around 10:30 but usually don't make it until after 11. Embarkation all depends on the ship, how quickly they cleared, etc.

Never had a dining package so I have no idea on that one.

And yes, you can upgrade the beverage package on pretty much any day and only pay for the remainder of the cruise.

Have fun.

We've never booked a dining package in advance but we've taken advantage of discounts available once on board. Once, on the first night, we were offered a 50% discount; for the most part, we've always gotten at least a 30% discount. I don't know what discounts are available with the pre-purchase so you'll have to decide for yourself. Obviously, if you wait until you board, you are running the risk of a restaurant being fully booked.

As to the drink package, definitely wait until you are onboard to upgrade. Some of you may find that the Classic package fits your needs and you don't need to upgrade. Also, you only pay for the remaining days when you upgrade so if you wait until day 2 or 3, you'll save a couple of bucks.

Equinox is a beautiful ship - enjoy!

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise next month on the Equinox, July 14. We have 4 adults booked in 2 Concierge Class Veranda rooms. I have a few questions that I am hoping recent Equinox cruisers can answer:

1). What time does boarding start? We like to maximize our time onboard and get on the ship as soon as possible.

2). Are dining packages offered onboard or do they have to be booked in advance?

3). We currently have the classic beverage package and are considering upgrading to the Premium Beverage Package. Can the upgrade be purchased later in the week and only paying for the remaining days of the cruise or does it have to be purchased on the first day?

Feel free to add any other tips, hints, or suggestions. Its our first Celebrity cruise and we are looking forward to how Celebrity stands up against Disney and NCL.

Thanks for your help!

1. You are close enough to your cruise that the online check-in should be open now. When you do that, your Xpress Pass will tell you your boarding time.

2. Yes, you can sign up onboard.

3. Yes, you can upgrade mid-cruise and only pay for the remaining days.

1. You are close enough to your cruise that the online check-in should be open now. When you do that, your Xpress Pass will tell you your boarding time.

Our Xpress pass only gives a range for check-in times, but no details on boarding time.

Sailed the Equinox twice out of Miami and three times out of Pt Everglades. Boarding generally starts around 11-11:30 unless there is a customs delay or a deep clean from a Noro outbreak ,from the prior sailing. Your stateroom should be ready around 1-1:30 , so be prepared to haul around anything you carry on.

You can upgrade the drinks package usually up to the third day and they will pro rate the cost.

You cannot book specialty packages once on board , but if they are not busy and you are flexible on time, as as prior poster mentioned, you can get discounts.If you book the specialty package, go to one of the restaurants and book your dining times as soon as you board. You will board on deck 5, same deck as the restaurants.

Just to add, Sunset Bar is a great spot for sailaway, enjoy!

Do try Cafe al Bacio. The specialty coffees and teas are covered in your drink package and the pastries are free. Have at least one dinner from the Oceanview Cafe. They have custom cooked steaks, chicken , fish etc and carry it out to dine al fresco. We like to carry out a plate of cheese and crackers and have our happy hour at the Oceanview Cafe Bar especially while cruising in the Caribbean

Our Xpress pass only gives a range for check-in times, but no details on boarding time.

I guess I think of them as the same. If your check-in time range on your Xpress Pass is 12PM - 3PM, you check in any time between 12 and 3, and then you board.

I'd suggest arriving at the port between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. Since you are in Concierge Class you are entitled to go the MDR on embarkation for lunch. Seating is from 11:30AM - 1:00PM. They will take your carry on luggage and store it for you while you eat lunch so you won't have to juggle it while looking for a seat in the crowded Oceanview Café (buffet). It's a lovely and relaxing way to start a cruise. Usually the rooms are ready by the time you're ready to leave. Since you have the beverage package you can order wine or cocktails to start the trip. Also, there is a line for concierge class that may offer less of a wait when boarding the ship. I'd recommend waiting to upgrade your beverage package. Depending on your drink preferences you may find it more than adequate without the additional expense. Additionally, if you order a drink that is above the Classic package allowance, you only pay the difference between the allowance and the drink cost + 18%. If you only order one or two a day, it will be less costly than paying the upgrade cost. We usually wait to book specialty dining until we're aboard but are very flexible about days and times we book. We usually dine late, so don't care if the prime times are booked in the restaurants we like. I heartily recommend Murano. It's the one we try never to miss. If you enjoy French cuisine, excellent service, many tableside preparations and an elegant atmosphere you won't be disappointed.