Price hike!

Loyalty match question: does MSC match your loyalty level on all your cruises with them, or only the first one? I've heard it's only the first one, but just want verification. Thanks!

-- Michael

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just emailed them with that question. Curious also.

Loyalty match question: does MSC match your loyalty level on all your cruises with them, or only the first one? I've heard it's only the first one, but just want verification. Thanks!

-- Michael

The status match is valid for ALL your cruises with MSC.

Your matched loyalty status is valid for 3 years from your status match date and gets automatically extended for another 3 years beyond your last MSC cruise. Just before your 3 years status expires, you need to book another MSC cruise to extend it for an additional 3 years.

Good point to note. But unfortunately, Meraviglia does not have good reviews on CC.

I don't know how that is relevant. Do you remember what lots of people said about the Epics "bathrooms" when she was new?

Since I have been on both I can compare them. I loved the Epic but I loved the Meraviglia too and my opinion is that $3000 more for a week on the Epic is too much.

You can’t compare a canal cruise to a Caribbean cruise, apples to oranges..
How about this comparison? April 2020 on the Encore for 4 people in standard balcony for 7 day Caribbean , 3 ports with drink package is $5400. April 2020 12 day Caribbean on the Celebrity Silouhette (beautiful ship) 4 people, balcony, drink package, 7 ports for $6100. That is only $700 more for 5 full days more on Celebrity which is a much nicer line. Celebrity goes to places that NCL does not like Grenada, St Vincent, etc. The Celebrity is a much much better deal and shows much more clearly how expensive NCL is getting. There prices have jumped higher then most. The Encore may be new but the Celebrity ship is newer and very very fancy. Again, the Celebrity is a way better deal and probably not even considered by 90% of the NCL faithful.

Just for kicks...sailing on Sept 23...(my anniversary)......

7 day western carribbean...

Non assigned balcony cabins..2 travelers.

NCL Getaway 1720.00 all in...zero perks...sailaway cabin as stated above.

RCL Allure 1653.00 all in...zero perks...RCL picks cabin, which I assume is close to the sailaway rates that NCL offers..

Not much of a difference to me. One sails out of FLL and the other out of MIA. At that point, pick the line you like and sail.

I have been on a few NCL cruises lately, but would have zero issues with trying another line. I do find the MSC website somewhat confusing in regards to the various drink packages and costs. RCL seems pretty cut and dried....$55 or so a night..with a possible 20% off buying pre cruise. IF sailing sailaway rate cabins, and buying your own drink packages, RCL would seem to win, possibly by a lot.

The NCL "free at sea" clouds the pricing points, which I think is somewhat the point, but it must be working.

They don't sail full all the time no one does and any company who says they are is a liar. If they are doing so well out of southampton then why move the jade to Rome and put the Spirit in southampton?. The relocation cruise from Miami to Southampton was 300 or so short of full they had about 2000 onboard according to the bartender who also told me my cruise to france and spain wasn't full.

Well that settles it, can’t argue with the bartender as the source for definitive facts.

Maybe there is bigger demand in Rome now, fleet is being adjusted.

I bet they still made a profit even with 300 short because, well, they are charging us more to make it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

-- Michael

I just emailed them with that question. Curious also.

The MSC Black card status match will remain valid as long as you take a cruise every 3 years. The status match will only be given once but as long as you cruise often enough you will continue to have Black card status.

Another data point for a Feb 2020 Carib b2b I'm researching. I always compare the cost including beverage package, grats, and 2 250 min (or more) internet packages for each 7 day leg. I also include the grats on the included perks on NCL. These are for an OV cabin for 2 people.

NCL Escape:

2/1-2/8

Fare 2905 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Int. 210 (2 250 min packages)

Total 3,318

2/8 - 2/15

Fare 2805 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Total 3,218

Total for b2b. 6,536

Encore, for a similar cruise is only 6,649

RCL Symphony

2/8 to 2/15

Fare 2165 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Bev 909

Total 3,487

2/15 - 2/22

Fare 2240 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Bev. 909

Total 3562

Total for b2b. 7049

For a similar Cruise on Allure the total would be 6,313

Celebrity Equinox

2/8 to 2/15

Fare 3191 (Go Best fare, incl grats, bev, unl. internet, 300 OBC)

2/15 to 2/22

Fare 3273 (Go Best fare, incl grats, bev, unl. internet, 300 OBC)

Total for b2b. 6464

Equivalent cruise on Edge 8136

MSC Yacht club for equivalent cruises on Seaview and Meraviglia, including internet and grats, 9500 and 9750, respectively.

IMO you need to look again. NCL is still one of the lowest priced mass market lines. As to whether or not people are booking, you only yneed to look at all the reports of NCL ships sailing at over 100% of double berth capacity. If you think NCL is over price, you should move on.

That is not what I am finding, especially if I add in the cost of the beverage package and the dining package. NCL is still a much better deal. If you don't want any perks then MSC might be better for you but if you compare total out of pocket costs when you walk off the ship, most of you will find that NCL is the better deal.

I don't know that I'd agree with you.

I booked a cruise on the MSC Seaside for March of 2019. Me and 3 grandsons in a Fantastica Balcony cabin on Deck 11. Received drink package and internet package with the booking. Total cost (not including service charges) $2,397.06. (Plus $150 in OBC)

Miami - San Juan-St Thomas-St Maarten-Nassau-Miami

I just looked at the exact same week on the Bliss. Cheapest available balcony cabin (BF) that still includes Free @ Sea. I choose the drink package and the free WIFI. Total cost (again, no service charges) $5,209.39. (No OBC offered)

Miami-St Thomas-Tortola-Nassau-Miami

The cost for NCL is MORE THAN DOUBLE what MSC wants. There is just NO WAY that NCL can justify that large a difference in the cost. And there is NO WAY that we walk off of the Seaside with out of pocket costs that will make them comparable.

MSC is the wildcard for sure....that comparison shows it..assuming it's for identical weeks....the drink package offered by MSC is the lower level of two they offer, best I can tell. but I agree, you won't drink up the difference...if you do, I want to party with you. :)

MSC is clouding the waters too with different "levels" of experiences....they all do it somewhat.

I booked a cruise on the MSC Seaside for March of 2019. Me and 3 grandsons in a Fantastica Balcony cabin on Deck 11. Received drink package and internet package with the booking. Total cost (not including service charges) $2,397.06. (Plus $150 in OBC)

I just looked at the exact same week on the Bliss. Cheapest available balcony cabin (BF) that still includes Free @ Sea. I choose the drink package and the free WIFI. Total cost (again, no service charges) $5,209.39. (No OBC offered)

The cost for NCL is MORE THAN DOUBLE what MSC wants. There is just NO WAY that NCL can justify that large a difference in the cost. And there is NO WAY that we walk off of the Seaside with out of pocket costs that will make them comparable.

Are you taking into consideration the type and age of the ship? Just curious. I am always amazed when anyone tries to compare line with line or ship with ship. To me, the only fair comparison is when the age and size of the ship is similar, not just the cabin category. We are sailing out of San Juan in Feb on the Dawn for 10 days. The total cost is $3200 for two of us. Outside cabin without gratuities. It does include the drink package, internet and the 3 night dinner package. I would not try to compare it with a newer, higher class ship with RCI or any other company. Now, if you are talking the same age ship and size, plus date and itinerary, that would be different.

Another data point for a Feb 2020 Carib b2b I'm researching. I always compare the cost including beverage package, grats, and 2 250 min (or more) internet packages for each 7 day leg. I also include the grats on the included perks on NCL. These are for an OV cabin for 2 people.

NCL Escape:

2/1-2/8

Fare 2905 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Total 3,318

2/8 - 2/15

Fare 2805 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Total 3,218

Total for b2b. 6,536

Encore, for a similar cruise is only 6,649

RCL Symphony

2/8 to 2/15

Fare 2165 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Bev 909

Total 3,487

2/15 - 2/22

Fare 2240 (includes Bev pkg. and dining PKG grats)

Grats. 203

Bev. 909

Total 3562

Total for b2b. 7049

For a similar Cruise on Allure the total would be 6,313

Celebrity Equinox

2/8 to 2/15

Fare 3191 (Go Best fare, incl grats, bev, unl. internet, 300 OBC)

2/15 to 2/22

Fare 3273 (Go Best fare, incl grats, bev, unl. internet, 300 OBC)

Total for b2b. 6464

Equivalent cruise on Edge 8136

MSC Yacht club for equivalent cruises on Seaview and Meraviglia, including internet and grats, 9500 and 9750, respectively.

I looked at MSCs Swedish site and NCLs European site and found this:

February 8 2020 one week on MSC Seaside in Deluxe Suite $5225.

February 1 2020 one week on Norwegian Escape in Forward Facing Penthouse $7255.

The difference is less than $3000 even if I reduce the MSC price with 5% (Voyagers Club discount) but I still think that NCL cost too much compared to MSC.

Just for kicks, I just priced out the most expensive Bliss cruise in March of 19....3/16 sailing..

Mid ship balcony, not a sailaway, added the two most expensive perks, UBP and UDP...total out the door was $3636...I have no idea what you were looking at.

Same cruise, BF Balcony priced with UBP and Wifi...

• NUMBER OF GUESTS2 guests
  • DEPARTURE DATESMarch 16 - 23, 2019Saturday - Saturday
  • STATEROOM TYPEBalcony
  • STATEROOM CATEGORYescape_cat_BF.gif Balcony
  • YOUR OFFERSUnlimited Open Bar + WiFi

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS

$2,998.00

• CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG

$249.20

• GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES

$282.10

TOTAL

$3,52930

Just for kicks, I just priced out the most expensive Bliss cruise in March of 19....3/16 sailing..

Mid ship balcony, not a sailaway, added the two most expensive perks, UBP and UDP...total out the door was $3636...I have no idea what you were looking at.

Same cruise, BF Balcony priced with UBP and Wifi...

• NUMBER OF GUESTS2 guests
  • DEPARTURE DATESMarch 16 - 23, 2019Saturday - Saturday
  • STATEROOM TYPEBalcony
  • STATEROOM CATEGORYescape_cat_BF.gif Balcony
  • YOUR OFFERSUnlimited Open Bar + WiFi

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS

$2,998.00

• CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG

$249.20

• GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES

$282.10

TOTAL

$3,52930

Perhaps you should be doing an Apples to Apples comparison to be completely fair and honest.

Read my post :"me and 3 grandsons". Perhaps you should try it again using 4 guests instead of only two.

Are you taking into consideration the type and age of the ship? Just curious. I am always amazed when anyone tries to compare line with line or ship with ship. To me, the only fair comparison is when the age and size of the ship is similar, not just the cabin category. We are sailing out of San Juan in Feb on the Dawn for 10 days. The total cost is $3200 for two of us. Outside cabin without gratuities. It does include the drink package, internet and the 3 night dinner package. I would not try to compare it with a newer, higher class ship with RCI or any other company. Now, if you are talking the same age ship and size, plus date and itinerary, that would be different.

Of course.

MSC Seaside: Entered service December 2017. 153,516GT. 4,475 guests at double occupancy.

NCL Bliss: Entered service April 2018. 168,028GT. 3,994 guests at double occupancy.

Needless to say, they won't be exact, but I do think that is a pretty fair comparison. 4.5 months difference in age, 15,000GT difference, and 500 difference in the passenger count.

4 people, in a balcony, for $2397? You sure there wasn't some type of promo, like friends and family sail free or whatever MSC calls it? I can't find any balcony room on MSC on any cruise for $600pp

Perhaps you should be doing an Apples to Apples comparison to be completely fair and honest.

Read my post :"me and 3 grandsons". Perhaps you should try it again using 4 guests instead of only two.

It does seem as if MSC has some sort of friends and family sail free built in when booking 4 people to a room. I don't know the ages of your grandsons obviously, so guessed and assumed 1 in age category.

Total I came up with $3183 for a balcony room on Deck 11 with the Fantasica package. Not sure how you got it for $700 less (unless the age category of the kids changes the amount).

That would make a difference for sure...I always sail as a couple, so I missed that part....an NCL sailing with 3rd 4th free would be more inline, I think...

Considering that, that MSC quote is a steal, or just wrong...hopefully the former. I hoped you jumped on it...I am seeing 3243. for 1 adult and 3 teens, just guessing on the teens... fantastica etc...12 drinks, still a good deal...nice route too...IMHO...

Have you been on an MSC cruise? I am considering one with the Aurea experience...

Edited by PTC DAWG

The OP is in the UK and this year NCL have gone 'all inclusive' in the UK

we now have included in the base price a lot more than we used to ( there is also an option to not have any of these perks for a much cheaper price) for comparison for £200 more per person than I paid last year when all I got was UBP and 3 meal at specialty restaurants ( good perks admittedly and booked during a promotion) as standard perks this is what I have got for the extra £200

Sorry it is so big

Included Items (10)

All Inclusive – 1 litre per day - water

All Inclusive – 1 litre per day - water

• QTY:2

[*]

60 min internet all inclusive

60 min internet all inclusive

[*]

250 min internet package

250 min internet package

• QTY:1

[*]

All Inclusive – Beverage Package & Coffee

All Inclusive – Beverage Package & Coffee

[*]

Free $75 USD On-Board Credit Certificate Non -Refundable

Free $75 USD On-Board Credit Certificate Non -Refundable

[*]

Shore Excursions Promotional Credit

$50 USD Shore Excursion Promotional Credit per port, per stateroom.

[*]

Speciality Dining Package

Dining Package - Promo

[*]

Service Charge on Beverage, Water & Coffee all inclusive

Service Charge on Beverage, Water & Coffee all inclusive

[*]

120 Min Ship to Shore Phone Calls.

120 Min Ship to Shore Phone Calls.

[*]

CE UK Free Pre-Paid Service Chargers Per Day in Mini-Suites and Below

CE UK Free Pre-Paid Service Chargers Per Day in Mini-Suites and Below

[*]personally I call that a really good deal for an extra £200 ( about $260 dollars)

That would make a difference for sure...I always sail as a couple, so I missed that part....an NCL sailing with 3rd 4th free would be more inline, I think...

Considering that, that MSC quote is a steal, or just wrong...hopefully the former. I hoped you jumped on it...I am seeing 3243. for 1 adult and 3 teens, just guessing on the teens... fantastica etc...12 drinks, still a good deal...nice route too...IMHO...

Have you been on an MSC cruise? I am considering one with the Aurea experience...

Well...it definitely isn't wrong. The price I mentioned came straight from my booking confirmation. FWIW, they aren't teens (11, 8, & 6), but I don't think that affects anything but the fact that they got "child" drink packages, not "adult" drink packages. Which reminds me: On MSC, all four guests get the drink package, on NCL it only goes to guest 1 & 2. I also got the 5% voyagers club discount, but that still doesn't account for the HUGE difference.

The ship has an F1 racing simulator, bowling alleys, air hockey, pool (the 8 ball type ;)), a 5D theater, zip lines, water slides, and a kids water park. I think they'll have a blast.

Yes...I have. I was on the Seaside in February. It certainly isn't NCL, but I liked a lot of what they do. For example, their Meet & Mingle puts NCL literally to shame.

Kids and 11 and under sail free on MSC. I have a second booking reserved for 14 days on the Seaside for my family with two kids 8-10. The total charge for 14 days on MSC per kid is, get this, is $43. Where on Earth besides MSC can you sail two kids for $43 a piece for 14 days? ............. Nowhere. I had a balcony on Seaside in April but this is a Fantastica inside for four for 14 days - $2783 ...... No one can touch this. If you deny that MSC and the Seaside is the best deal around, you'd be wrong.

Well...it definitely isn't wrong. The price I mentioned came straight from my booking confirmation. FWIW, they aren't teens (11, 8, & 6), but I don't think that affects anything but the fact that they got "child" drink packages, not "adult" drink packages. Which reminds me: On MSC, all four guests get the drink package, on NCL it only goes to guest 1 & 2. I also got the 5% voyagers club discount, but that still doesn't account for the HUGE difference.

The ship has an F1 racing simulator, bowling alleys, air hockey, pool (the 8 ball type ;)), a 5D theater, zip lines, water slides, and a kids water park. I think they'll have a blast.

Yes...I have. I was on the Seaside in February. It certainly isn't NCL, but I liked a lot of what they do. For example, their Meet & Mingle puts NCL literally to shame.

Sounds like fun...lucky grandkids...