Very disturbing lawsuit

I see this as a real problem with parents who feel it’s perfectly fine for their kids to roam the ship alone and after curfew at that as long as they don’t bother mom and dad who, after all, are on vacation. Take a little responsibility for your kids. The cruise line is not your personal babysitter. Of course, the two men need to be prosecuted but I fail to see how Royal is responsible.

Where were the 13 year olds parents? ? and why were they not watching out for their child??

It is an unfortunate situation I've seen before where parents don't worry about their kids because they think they are "safer" on a cruise ship. I feel terrible for the victim and the family, but the parents were also negligent. This would have been a mandated report of child neglect in my state.

The lawsuit also says that Royal Caribbean should have enforced its own curfew, which would have prevented a 13-year-old boy from being in a public space at the same time as intoxicated adults who are leaving bars and lounges at 2:00am.

Historians will site the total lack of personal responsibility as the ignition point for the downfall and collapse of the United States of America.

It is always someone else's fault.

No doubt the parents bear some responsibility.

However, RCI is responsible for the amount of alcohol served to the perpetrators. There is also the question of how diligent ship security and other staff need be in protecting passengers, particularly minors.

The fact a judge allowed the suit to go forward is an indication that the cruise line may not be entirely blameless.

I do not think that the cruise line is responsible for this; it was a heinous crime that could have happened anywhere but that could have been prevented in this case if the boy's parents had made sure that the boy observed the curfew. Nevertheless, a three year sentence is far too little for "sexual assault of a 13-year-old". If I had been the sentencing judge, the attacker would be doing 25 to life.

The only real negligence I can see on the part of Royal Caribbean is if they served alcohol to someone that was obviously intoxicated.

And the part about rccl not monitoring their security cameras?

And not enforcing their own curfew?

Read the article

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not think that the cruise line is responsible for this; it was a heinous crime that could have happened anywhere but that could have been prevented in this case if the boy's parents had made sure that the boy observed the curfew. Nevertheless, a three year sentence is far too little for "sexual assault of a 13-year-old". If I had been the sentencing judge, the attacker would be doing 25 to life.

I am not a litigious person but come on.....did you not read the part of the article that said Rccl was NOT monitoring their security cameras?

Would your opinion be any different if it weren't a 13 yo boy but rather a 39 yo? Male or female doesn't matter...what matters is that it was an attack caught on video that should have been manned in real time....but wasn't

Hope they get RCI by the balls for not enforcing their own rules!(y) (y) (y)

lawsuit mentality! The only innocents here is the child that was molested. 13 year old children do not have the maturity and judgement to be out by themselves on a floating city with thousands of strangers. Parents have the ultimate responsibility to keep their children safe.

No doubt the parents bear some responsibility.

However, RCI is responsible for the amount of alcohol served to the perpetrators. There is also the question of how diligent ship security and other staff need be in protecting passengers, particularly minors.

The fact a judge allowed the suit to go forward is an indication that the cruise line may not be entirely blameless.

Rccl would be smart to just settle this now and avoid trial. Why?

Not because "it's the parents fault"

Not because a 13 yo shouldn't be out this time

But because....they had security cameras ...but forgot to put a human in place to watch it in real time.

Read the article

I did read it. I'm just not sure how it can be proven that they weren't monitoring the cameras. As far as the curfew, how do we know that a crew member wasn't on their way to the library to address that issue? Remember we've really only heard one side of the lawsuit so far. And there's three sides to every story.

I am not a litigious person but come on.....did you not read the part of the article that said Rccl was NOT monitoring their security cameras?

Would your opinion be any different if it weren't a 13 yo boy but rather a 39 yo? Male or female doesn't matter...what matters is that it was an attack caught on video that should have been manned in real time....but wasn't

I don’t expect someone to be monitoring all cameras. I expect the ability for them to replay what happened to provide the third side to he said, she said.

Read the article

Interesting how some on here are taking the word of the plaintiff that the cameras weren't manned. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. But we really don't know.

It is an unfortunate situation I've seen before where parents don't worry about their kids because they think they are "safer" on a cruise ship. I feel terrible for the victim and the family, but the parents were also negligent. This would have been a mandated report of child neglect in my state.

What state and what law? My teens definitely roam on the ship (as they do in town), but I enforce the ships 1 am curfew (much to their dismay). 13 year olds babysit, they aren’t little kids. By 14 mine had paying jobs.

I don’t expect someone to be monitoring all cameras. I expect the ability for them to replay what happened to provide the third side to he said, she said.
Finally some common sense.

How many cameras are on a ship anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I do not understand why parents do not monitor what their children are doing. Just because they are on a cruise ship does not make them safer. Yes RCL should enforce their curfew but parents NEED to be responsible for parenting. What a sad situation for everyone involved.

Historians will site the total lack of personal responsibility as the ignition point for the downfall and collapse of the United States of America.

It is always someone else's fault.

I need a "Like" button.

Finally some common sense.

How many cameras are on a ship anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If Royal is found negligent for not monitoring the cameras, this seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. Would that then mean that the cruise line would have to be responsible for the safety of every passenger in every area with a camera, at all times? That seems like an awfully tall chore.

Interesting how some on here are taking the word of the plaintiff that the cameras weren't manned. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. But we really don't know.

You are 100% correct. That is why a trial would be in order to ascertain the facts.

With all the cameras that are on today's ships, it's not practical to monitor all of them 24/7 in real time. If a court rules they must be continually monitored 24/7, I see the lines just removing many of the cameras. Effectively, your protection goes down because of some stupid sick people aided and abetted by some stupid parents who couldn't monitor their own kids.

Read the article

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the cruise line to monitor the cameras. They have a number of cameras, it would take a large staff to watch all of the cameras all of the time. I think the more common areas of the ship are monitored more closely than some lower traffic areas.The cameras are used to have a look back at a situation, not always what is happening currently