Texting while on the Bliss

CoolChange37

I know, I know. We are supposed to be on vacation, but we are a group of 21 on the Bliss in August and I am interested in finding out how you go about getting the Texting service so that everyone (with iPhones) can do their own thing and still be able to find each other while on board to send this information on to everyone. Too many times in the past, we have spent too much time trying to find people (walkie talkies are not the best) and less time enjoying the cruise. Anyone know how this works?

I know, I know. We are supposed to be on vacation, but we are a group of 21 on the Bliss in August and I am interested in finding out how you go about getting the Texting service so that everyone (with iPhones) can do their own thing and still be able to find each other while on board to send this information on to everyone. Too many times in the past, we have spent too much time trying to find people (walkie talkies are not the best) and less time enjoying the cruise. Anyone know how this works?

What would you do years ago, when there was NO texting????????????

The Bliss does NOT use the icon edge app. It uses the new NCL app.

For a $9ish one time charge per device, you can use it to text and call eachother over the ship’s VOIP system.

Not sure why, but iPhone to iPhone txt works without paying for internet service. Just connect to ship WiFi and put phone in airplane mode. I was texting my son in the states from the Jade this past March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why, but iPhone to iPhone txt works without paying for internet service. Just connect to ship WiFi and put phone in airplane mode. I was texting my son in the states from the Jade this past March.

When was it that this last worked for you? NCL has been closing this and several other holes that allowed some services to work. Don’t count on it. We paid $10 per phone on our 12 day Breakaway trip last fall to enable calling and messaging on our phones. Be aware you will need to trade phone numbers as each phone gets a unique number not related to your cabin or real phone number, and you can only see your cabin mates’s numbers.

How does this work? You install the NCL app, pay the $9/$10 per device and then text through the app? Can you put your phone in airplane mode while using this or do you have to connect to the ship's wifi? (Thinking about keeping possible incoming calls/texts from home coming through and incurring additional charges.)

Also can the concierge set this up for you or do you need to go to the internet desk?

This would be so handy for me to try to keep up with my wandering hubby. :D

Prices are subject to change at any time, upon notice. Info herein as a general guide.

Texting is among other registered App users as an option, connect via WiFi inTRAnet only, no additional charges. But there is no group messaging function and delivery is often delayed, especially when devices are not active.

These are from the Breakaway, similar on the Gem recently. Be sure to turn off background data update & roaming, and stay in Airplane Mode, see iCafe manager for help, unlikely your Concierge can do much.

eea5ffe46d85e1c06f37f0c5918bcaba.jpg

294e63d9456ea527fa196aca1049e0c4.jpg

6151fd059fb4dd83078ec23734edc47a.jpg

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

How does this work? You install the NCL app, pay the $9/$10 per device and then text through the app? Can you put your phone in airplane mode while using this or do you have to connect to the ship's wifi? (Thinking about keeping possible incoming calls/texts from home coming through and incurring additional charges.)

Also can the concierge set this up for you or do you need to go to the internet desk?

This would be so handy for me to try to keep up with my wandering hubby. :D

Yes, it should work with airplane mode on. You will need to manually turn the wifi back on, to connect to the ships wifi.

It is quite easy to set up yourself. Just launch the app, click on the messages section and follow the instructions. If you do have any trouble, I would go to the internet desk, rather than your concierge, but you really shouldn't need either.

When was it that this last worked for you? NCL has been closing this and several other holes that allowed some services to work. Don’t count on it. We paid $10 per phone on our 12 day Breakaway trip last fall to enable calling and messaging on our phones. Be aware you will need to trade phone numbers as each phone gets a unique number not related to your cabin or real phone number, and you can only see your cabin mates’s numbers.

As stated, last March, March 23 - 2 April 2018. I recommend trying it before paying $10 per device. Only works with iPhones.

There is an free app you can use onboard. iConcierge I think. Free when connected to ship's WiFi.
iConceirge is free but to add the additional feature of text / calling (which OP wants) requires a per device one time charge (approx $10)

As stated, last March, March 23 - 2 April 2018. I recommend trying it before paying $10 per device. Only works with iPhones.

While this might still "work" on older NCL ships that have yet to update/patch the firewall ports / loopholes, it is almost certain that this "backdoor" has been blocked & shut on newer *.Away/Plus class ships deploying new hardware, servers & applications.

Even on the Gem last month, the carrier-based SMS/messaging functions had all been effectively filtered, so it was no longer "leaking" while connected to the WiFi inTRAnet (that's "free" for its open functions ... not messages among registered users ...) SMS/text headers, including "push" notifications from Tapatalk (associated with CC alerts on subscribed threads) no longer get thru on our devices (both iOS - 11.x.x and Androids 8.x)

Each registered, activated users subscribing to the App's paid message features are assigned an unique 8 digit # ... the group of 20 will each need to program & input all those for all the devices, and, I just didn't see it as a reliable group messaging-friendly feature.

But, for the $10 to $15 one-time fee, less than the price of a bar drink, it's worth giving it a try ... just a case of YMMV.

Cabin phones have free voicemail functions ... in our old days, it was as simple as setting up a phone "tree" system ... and, good old yellow "stickies" or a centralized check-in time/location for the group to assemble.

The Bliss does NOT use the icon edge app. It uses the new NCL app.

For a $9ish one time charge per device, you can use it to text and call eachother over the ship’s VOIP system.

I'm assuming we have to wait to do that onboard? Thanks!

BTW - I loved your review. Read every single thing!

Anyone currently on the Bliss while at port can you use normal network At&t or Verizon or are you charged roaming.

When you are at port (Alaska and Canada) my Verizon phone worked normal and I even received a text from Verizon saying welcome to Canada and that voice text and data were all included in my plan. But I always make sure to go airplane mode while at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While this might still "work" on older NCL ships that have yet to update/patch the firewall ports / loopholes, it is almost certain that this "backdoor" has been blocked & shut on newer *.Away/Plus class ships deploying new hardware, servers & applications.

Nope, this was working on the June 2 Bliss cruise. My DD realized that iMessage was still working. We verified she was still in Airplane mode, only connected to Bliss WiFi and it worked the whole cruise. I wish I'd known it was a known hole, I didn't even think to try to take advantage of it :(

Edited by PATRLR

The OP asked about the Bliss. Please disregard post #9 which describes iConceirge which is NOT used on the Bliss.

On the Bliss, download the NCL ap before you leave port (you can download it now if you want). You use it for scheduling and such, but you can also sign up for text/phone use for $9.95. You can text/call other registered users. The calling would be voice over IP (VOIP) using the Bliss's intranet. We used the texting quite a bit, I don't recall using the phone feature.

When not in port, you would keep your phone in airplane mode with your Wi-Fi enabled and connected to the Bliss Wi-Fi. In port, you may choose to turn off Airplane mode and connect to the local cellular service if your plan includes it (Verizon worked in all the Bliss ports this past June). Just be careful, if you have apps that configured to use WiFi if it is available (a common configuration intended to save Data charges), then your apps won't work in port because they will try to use the Bliss intranet which you have not paid for internet use. When in port, we disconnected from the Bliss intranet, turned off Airplane mode and then just used regular cellular texting.

Contrary to what someone said above, group texts are supported. We used that feature.

We first used the texting feature of shipboard apps on a Carnival ship years ago. Because we communicate regularly by text in our day to day lives, it's only natural to do so on board. We found it to be invaluable and we typically purchase it first thing when we get on board.

Definitely use the NCL app. iConcierge will not work on Bliss. We tried to do the texting. But it was hit or miss. Had a few that took 2 days to get to me. They actually told us it wasn't working on the June 2nd cruise after we had paid for it for 6 people. May have it up and running now. Also everyone needs their own login and my 2 under 18 weren't allowed to get one. So the two I wanted to keep up with the most, I couldn't. Since we have iPhones, Galaxies, and Pixels we couldn't do iMessaging. We used post its and made sure everyone knew the scheduled activities (dinners, shows, excursions).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely use the NCL app. iConcierge will not work on Bliss. We tried to do the texting. But it was hit or miss. Had a few that took 2 days to get to me. They actually told us it wasn't working on the June 2nd cruise after we had paid for it for 6 people. May have it up and running now. Also everyone needs their own login and my 2 under 18 weren't allowed to get one. So the two I wanted to keep up with the most, I couldn't. Since we have iPhones, Galaxies, and Pixels we couldn't do iMessaging. We used post its and made sure everyone knew the scheduled activities (dinners, shows, excursions).

Why weren't the 2 under 18 allowed to get it?? That sounds weird that it's age restricted.....

Why weren't the 2 under 18 allowed to get it?? That sounds weird that it's age restricted.....
It's linked to your reservations on NCL.com The kids weren't allowed logins when we tried to set them up, even outside the NCL app through the website. It's not a good app yet. They have a lot of kinks to work out. No one has answers or clues as to when all of the supposedly better options in the new app will be working. I liked iConcierge much better. Overall, I was underwhelmed on our Bliss trip. The app, internet and intranet were all a disaster for us. I paid for the unlimited plan and got maybe an hour online the whole trip. The login process was terrible. You had to completely logout and log back in frequently and even then it was iffy. Luckily, my Verizon worked when we were in port. I had work I had to get done and the ports saved me. Last cruise we shared an unlimited plan. Just log off on one and log in on another. This time we couldn't do that even though they said we should be able too. I know its vacation, but sometimes you really need internet in today's world.

Anyone currently on the Bliss while at port can you use normal network At&t or Verizon or are you charged roaming.

Not sure your question was answered. The answer depends on which port and which carrier and which plan you have. To be sure, call customer service and go over the list of ports.

For example, on my plan with AT&T, Puerto Rico and Mexico are included so I can use my phone at San Juan and Cozumel as much as I want (with any plan limits that apply but I have unlimited.)

For all my other ports, I will have AT&T International Day Pass enabled. If it seems my phone get used at all, I am charged $10 for that day to use the phone for talk and text, and data within my plan. If I don't want to be charged I must have the phone in Airplane mode or better yet turned off.

For port days, I have figured this is a better deal than using any part of a ship wi-fi plan. So I get a ship plan designed to handle sea days and use the Day Pass for ports.

I think Verizon has something similar.

This thread caught my eye because we will be on the Breakaway in July in the Baltics and I am trying to decide what phone plan would be the best one, so we don't get caught with extra fees. We also have an Internet credit as part of our package. And how does this work with shore packages? We both have iPhones and our carrier is AT&T. I only want the phone in case of emergencies back home.