Royal Cruise stopping in Maui - Lahaina

Miamia65

I’m looking for some advice regarding the best things to do from Lahaina port in Maui.

Our ship is tendering - published port times are 8am to 10pm on a Wednesday. We are a family group of 6 adults - ages 20 to 50.

I know that there is the RTH and OLL. The ship has excursions for these but I’m not fussed on being stuck on a large bus all day.

1. What are the best local tours?

2. Do tour operators service this port?

3. What are the must do things in Maui?

Any other ideas or advice appreciated .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of confusing ideas here.

First, RTH will not be on a big bus. It will be on a 16 or 18 passenger bus. The road is so windy that bigger vehicles can't take it. But as frequently discussed here, doing RTH is a VERY long day from the Lahaina side...it is 45 minutes just to get to the RTH from Lahaina, then 5 or so hours, probably more on the RTH, then more than 45 minutes back, as traffic will be heavier on your return. We have been on Maui almost 30 times, for no less than a week at a time, and can never recommend RTH as a priority for one day visitors.

Yes, tour operators do serve Lahaina, that is how the cruise lines do their tours. Roberts is almost definitely the biggest operator in Hawaii, very commonly used and discussed here. There are some smaller vendors...a little reading or searching on the board will be helpful.

"Must do" and "best" are really vague terms. You "must do" what interests you, not what we tell you to do. Lahaina can be a beach day, a golf day (some great courses here), a luau day (which will only involve a bus for 15 or 20 minutes max, each way), a walk around town day, a beach/resort day, a whale watch day (December through March- some of the best whale watching in the world here), snorkel day (which won't involve a bus at all- some pretty good snorkeling here, but not compared to the Great Barrier Reef), fishing, the list goes on and on... All of these things could be "best", and many more, depending on your interests.

It just takes a little research, an open mind, and perhaps considering the idea that everyone in your group doesn't have to do the same thing.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Lots of confusing ideas here.

First, RTH will not be on a big bus. It will be on a 16 or 18 passenger bus. The road is so windy that bigger vehicles can't take it. But as frequently discussed here, doing RTH is a VERY long day from the Lahaina side...it is 45 minutes just to get to the RTH from Lahaina, then 5 or so hours, probably more on the RTH, then more than 45 minutes back, as traffic will be heavier on your return. We have been on Maui almost 30 times, for no less than a week at a time, and can never recommend RTH as a priority for one day visitors.

Yes, tour operators do serve Lahaina, that is how the cruise lines do their tours. Roberts is almost definitely the biggest operator in Hawaii, very commonly used and discussed here. There are some smaller vendors...a little reading or searching on the board will be helpful.

"Must do" and "best" are really vague terms. You "must do" what interests you, not what we tell you to do. Lahaina can be a beach day, a golf day (some great courses here), a luau day (which will only involve a bus for 15 or 20 minutes max, each way), a walk around town day, a beach/resort day, a whale watch day (December through March- some of the best whale watching in the world here), snorkel day (which won't involve a bus at all- some pretty good snorkeling here, but not compared to the Great Barrier Reef), fishing, the list goes on and on... All of these things could be "best", and many more, depending on your interests.

It just takes a little research, an open mind, and perhaps considering the idea that everyone in your group doesn't have to do the same thing.

Thank you I have researched local operators - valley isle don’t service Lahaina port and Hāna tours of Maui don’t answer fb messenger or emails!!! I have also fb messaged and emailed Roberts just waiting for advice.

I didn’t think my questions were confusing I’m just trying to decide what we can do from a tender port that isn’t serviced like the one that POA uses. I don’t like being overcharged by the cruise lines when they mark up shore excursions but having said that some ports aren’t worth risking so I’m trying to decide whether to go with the cruise ship RTH excursion or try to book it myself OR do something else.

I’ve read that the north highway is dangerous and hiring a car seems to be difficult. Hence I thought I would ask cc community for advice.

Rent a van....and with a guidebook, you can do LOTS in that amount of time! I would save RTH for a land-based vacation....it's a full day and you won't get to see anything else on Maui. Driving is quite easy there...and you can do most of the rest of Maui that is not RTH and have a great time!!

I’m looking for some advice regarding the best things to do from Lahaina port in Maui.

Our ship is tendering - published port times are 8am to 10pm on a Wednesday. We are a family group of 6 adults - ages 20 to 50.

I know that there is the RTH and OLL. The ship has excursions for these but I’m not fussed on being stuck on a large bus all day.

1. What are the best local tours?

2. Do tour operators service this port?

3. What are the must do things in Maui?

Any other ideas or advice appreciated .

We just left Maui on Friday. One of the most fun things we did was go to Warren and Annabelle’s Magic right on Front Street in Lahaina. Never would I have thought I would so enjoy a magic show, but it was a different from anything I have ever seen. On the recommendation of a friend, we bought the Royal Flush package, which included drinks, a dinner-sized plate of appetizers, and a dessert, enjoyed in the parlor before entering the small theater for the main show. Reservations must be bought in advance and they have a website with more information If you want to check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Road to Hana is very interesting but makes for a long day on the bus. For the evening I highly recommend Hawaii Tasting Tours which is a hosted progressive dinner where you go to 5 eating establishments and learn about Hawaiian culture. It was loads of fun. I agree with another poster that the Warren and Annabelle show is excellent (but we were not impressed with the food which is optional).