Bon Voyage Experience on the Emerald Princess

1emerald1

I did a BVE on the Emerald yesterday and can report that the ship is in very good condition. Very clean and I did not notice any areas that looked worn or shabby, except for the carpet in the cabin hallways. It's definitely seen better days and I believe that it will be replaced soon as the carpets in the areas by the elevators and stairs is new.

The crew was very friendly and relaxed.

I had lunch in the MDR which was very good and the service was efficient. I will be sailing on her for a Hawaii cruise next February and wanted to check out cabins. As soon as we got on the ship I went to look at a Vista Suite on Emerald deck and was surprised at how small it was, in comparison to a penthouse suite I had years ago. The balcony view was great though as it had the glass railing with a side view as well as aft. I also noticed that there were no wall pictures in the suite. I hope that is because they are in the process of replacing. One thing that really gave me pause was how small the vanity area was in the bathroom. Although pretty, the vanity area was smaller than a balcony and there was no glass shelves on the sides, nor was there a shelf underneath the sink for storage. Because of this I am really considering the value compared to a mini suite which has a much better bathroom layout.

Officers on board:

Captain: Todd McBain

Staff Captain: Mauro Usai

Cruise Director: Alexander Yepremian

Maitre d: Rui Pereira (and not the Rui that was on the Emerald when Thrak did the Hawaii/Tahiti)

Thanks for the info.

Now prepare yourself for the "what's a BVE?" questions.;p

Preemptive strike. :D

From Princess:

The Bon Voyage Experience is an innovative new program harkening back to the nostalgic tradition from the early days of cruising, allowing guests the opportunity to invite family and friends aboard your ship on embarkation day. The program's new twist also allows cruisers new to Princess to see the inside of a Princess ship and experience the excitement of cruising first-hand -- even if they're not affiliated with booked guests.

Guests will spend up to four hours onboard before the ship sets sail, where they'll enjoy a four-course dining room lunch (including wine), a guided ship tour, and a souvenir photo! Plus, the $39 per person cost of the program can be applied toward a future cruise with Princess. Only 50 guests are able to participate in the Bon Voyage Experience on any given embarkation day, so make sure you make your reservations soon!

To learn more about Bon Voyage Experience reservations and availability near you, please contact your Travel Consultant or call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) as long as it is not within 7 days of sailing.

Ahh, thanks for saving me the explanations! I just wish I'd known about this sooner. What a great day to spend the day and get in a mini cruise fix.

One thing I omitted was changes to the Wheelhouse Bar. They have replaced the majority of the comfy, loungey chairs and sofas with high top white tables and bar stools, very modern. And have replaced a lot of the nautical artwork with modern art that has no connection with seafaring days of long ago.

I wish Princess would go back to their original identity, a sophisticated ocean liner experience that makes you think of liners long ago, and that prides itself on having the best food and service in the industry. What I would really love to see, but I know it will never happen, is going back to the old dress code. On a ten night cruise, 3 formal nights, 3 semi-formal nights and the remainder smart casual. Back then passengers appreciated the experienced and dressed accordingly.

Just my opinion, please no haters!

Ahh, thanks for saving me the explanations! I just wish I'd known about this sooner. What a great day to spend the day and get in a mini cruise fix.

One thing I omitted was changes to the Wheelhouse Bar. They have replaced the majority of the comfy, loungey chairs and sofas with high top white tables and bar stools, very modern. And have replaced a lot of the nautical artwork with modern art that has no connection with seafaring days of long ago.

I wish Princess would go back to their original identity, a sophisticated ocean liner experience that makes you think of liners long ago, and that prides itself on having the best food and service in the industry. What I would really love to see, but I know it will never happen, is going back to the old dress code. On a ten night cruise, 3 formal nights, 3 semi-formal nights and the remainder smart casual. Back then passengers appreciated the experienced and dressed accordingly.

Just my opinion, please no haters!

That portion of Wheelhouse on Emerald Princess is for the Salty Dog Gastropub. It's a lot of wasted space that ends up not being used in the evenings while the rest of the place is packed. Of course now that Princess has killed the BOGO it may not be as much of an issue but we did 28 days on that ship last October and it was a drag to have all that space taken up with those tables. We rarely saw the Gastropub get much use and, believe me, I spent a lot of time in Wheelhouse as I had the free beverage package. :eek:

That portion of Wheelhouse on Emerald Princess is for the Salty Dog Gastropub. It's a lot of wasted space that ends up not being used in the evenings while the rest of the place is packed. Of course now that Princess has killed the BOGO it may not be as much of an issue but we did 28 days on that ship last October and it was a drag to have all that space taken up with those tables. We rarely saw the Gastropub get much use and, believe me, I spent a lot of time in Wheelhouse as I had the free beverage package. :eek:
Ok, now I see the intent, but it looks so out of place and is not in sync with the rest of the room. The design flaw is major and I will be having my drinks in the atrium or Crooners!

You are correct to be a little concerned about the bathroom - we spent 30 days in March in a Vista Suite on the Emerald. It was so annoying to have no counter space or any type of shelving in the bathroom. We also found the couch to be horrible, I complained several times that it was unusable, the only thing they did for us was put a comforter underneath the cushions. We did enjoy the space of a suite and the perks that go with it, but like you, will likely consider a mini-suite to be a better fit in the future.

You are correct to be a little concerned about the bathroom - we spent 30 days in March in a Vista Suite on the Emerald. It was so annoying to have no counter space or any type of shelving in the bathroom. We also found the couch to be horrible, I complained several times that it was unusable, the only thing they did for us was put a comforter underneath the cushions. We did enjoy the space of a suite and the perks that go with it, but like you, will likely consider a mini-suite to be a better fit in the future.
Thanks for your input. I have the vista suite and a mini suite booked for that cruise and will now decide which one to keep. What I did like was the nice loungers on the balcony with the aft and side view. But I am a neat freak and like all of my lotions and potions in order and was very surprised at the lack of counter space and the glass shelves. Another draw to the vista is the CC Dining, so I will have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

Thanks for your input. I have the vista suite and a mini suite booked for that cruise and will now decide which one to keep. What I did like was the nice loungers on the balcony with the aft and side view. But I am a neat freak and like all of my lotions and potions in order and was very surprised at the lack of counter space and the glass shelves. Another draw to the vista is the CC Dining, so I will have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

My husband and I are also "neat freaks", so each day we'd clear everything off the bathroom counter and put it away in one of the cupboards in the sitting area. If we hadn't done that, I don't know how our cabin steward would have been able to clean the bathroom without moving everything around. The CC Dining was very nice, we were surprised how much we enjoyed it, but don't think we'd pay for it if we were getting a mini-suite.

My husband and I are also "neat freaks", so each day we'd clear everything off the bathroom counter and put it away in one of the cupboards in the sitting area. If we hadn't done that, I don't know how our cabin steward would have been able to clean the bathroom without moving everything around. The CC Dining was very nice, we were surprised how much we enjoyed it, but don't think we'd pay for it if we were getting a mini-suite.
A lot to mull over. If I take the suite this will be the first time I've ever paid book price for it, so would be really disappointed if after shelling out the money the vanity area became a real annoyance.

A lot to mull over. If I take the suite this will be the first time I've ever paid book price for it, so would be really disappointed if after shelling out the money the vanity area became a real annoyance.

I completely understand what you are saying - we got the suite as an up sale and felt we got a good deal, however I was still annoyed and questioning why the bathroom was that way and why Princess could not provide a good couch in the living area. I finally told myself to quit thinking about it and enjoy the cruise, I did not want to ruin our wonderful vacation. We were on deck 10 and would not get a Vista Suite again on the Emerald.

Sounds like the Vista Suite is a good place for the "over the bathroom door organizer" that some people say is so useful.

I was thinking the same thing. I always take mine. Suites are nice but once you've done them on a lot of different ships and cruise lines, the novelty wears off IME. Go with what you're comfortable with and what works for you OP.

Preemptive strike. :D

From Princess:

The Bon Voyage Experience is an innovative new program harkening back to the nostalgic tradition from the early days of cruising, allowing guests the opportunity to invite family and friends aboard your ship on embarkation day. The program's new twist also allows cruisers new to Princess to see the inside of a Princess ship and experience the excitement of cruising first-hand -- even if they're not affiliated with booked guests.

Guests will spend up to four hours onboard before the ship sets sail, where they'll enjoy a four-course dining room lunch (including wine), a guided ship tour, and a souvenir photo! Plus, the $39 per person cost of the program can be applied toward a future cruise with Princess. Only 50 guests are able to participate in the Bon Voyage Experience on any given embarkation day, so make sure you make your reservations soon!

To learn more about Bon Voyage Experience reservations and availability near you, please contact your Travel Consultant or call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) as long as it is not within 7 days of sailing.

Too funny...LOL.:')

Do you have these huge comments saved and just copy & paste? Or do you type them each time?

Thanks for your report on the BVE. Did you take a guided tour or just go off on your own? We did a BVE on the Regal after a cruise on the CB. We wanted to check it out before trying that class of ship. I'm glad we did, because touring it convinced us to book a cruise on the Royal, which we enjoyed thoroughly. We then sailed on the Regal and now have another booked for the Royal.

Thanks for your report on the BVE. Did you take a guided tour or just go off on your own? We did a BVE on the Regal after a cruise on the CB. We wanted to check it out before trying that class of ship. I'm glad we did, because touring it convinced us to book a cruise on the Royal, which we enjoyed thoroughly. We then sailed on the Regal and now have another booked for the Royal.
I've been on the Emerald and Ruby and Crown previously, so went off on my own since I am already know the layout, etc. But the main reason was that I wanted to check out the vista suite, so as soon as we boarded I went straight to it and all the cabin doors were open as the steward was still preparing the rooms. I did notice that the suite had the luxury bedding and that a mini suite that I peeked at did not. After that I had lunch and then explored the ship on my own. I checked out Share, and wish it was still Sabatini's, had a drink in the atrium and chatted with a server that I recognized from a previous cruise and overall had a great time!

Sounds like the Vista Suite is a good place for the "over the bathroom door organizer" that some people say is so useful.
Yes, that's a good idea. I'm still torn. I really want to try CC Dining and what I really like about the vista suite is the balcony with aft and side views, which is totally open because there's not another cabin next to it. And the teak loungers with the pads. But like I said the suite is very small and the bathroom is a joke. The cabin itself was so small, if you can imagine that you are painting a room and push all of the furniture into the middle of the room, that's what it's like.

I'm obviously confused...

can anyone do a BVE on any cruise...or do you have to be "invited" by someone actually taking that cruise ?:confused:

If a BVE is offered then anybody can book it. No need for an invitation. The BVE is only offered in a few, select, US ports. Not all sailings from those ports offer a BVE.

I thought BVD’s weren’t being made anymore, but I guess they still are being produced.

They were offered last week (5 May) in Seattle on the Ruby.

Tom

Why would the Ruby be selling men's underwear in Seattle? (Named after the three founders of the New York City firm Bradley, Voorhees & Day)

• 2 weeks later...
I did a BVE on the Emerald yesterday and can report that the ship is in very good condition. Very clean and I did not notice any areas that looked worn or shabby, except for the carpet in the cabin hallways. It's definitely seen better days and I believe that it will be replaced soon as the carpets in the areas by the elevators and stairs is new.

The crew was very friendly and relaxed.

I had lunch in the MDR which was very good and the service was efficient. I will be sailing on her for a Hawaii cruise next February and wanted to check out cabins. As soon as we got on the ship I went to look at a Vista Suite on Emerald deck and was surprised at how small it was, in comparison to a penthouse suite I had years ago. The balcony view was great though as it had the glass railing with a side view as well as aft. I also noticed that there were no wall pictures in the suite. I hope that is because they are in the process of replacing. One thing that really gave me pause was how small the vanity area was in the bathroom. Although pretty, the vanity area was smaller than a balcony and there was no glass shelves on the sides, nor was there a shelf underneath the sink for storage. Because of this I am really considering the value compared to a mini suite which has a much better bathroom layout.

Officers on board:

Captain: Todd McBain

Staff Captain: Mauro Usai

Cruise Director: Alexander Yepremian

Maitre d: Rui Pereira (and not the Rui that was on the Emerald when Thrak did the Hawaii/Tahiti)

Can I assume you did the BVE in Seattle? We are thinking about bringing some ‘maybe’ cruisers down one weekend this summer to show them what it is like without them having to book a full cruise so I think the BVE is a great idea.

If you did Seattle can I ask how the parking worked and getting to and from the terminal to the parking lot after the BVE is over? I was thinking there may not still be shuttles hanging around as all of the previous passengers should already be back to their cars by the time you have to disembark. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done several BVE in Seattle. You park at the lot at Pier 91 (usual cost has been $7.00) and ride the shuttle over to the pier. You are off the ship about 3:00 and the shuttle is still running. We're going down on June 16th to do a BVE on the Ruby as we sail on her a month later and my DH has it in his head that he wants to do this. You book it through your TA.

Karen

Can I assume you did the BVE in Seattle? We are thinking about bringing some ‘maybe’ cruisers down one weekend this summer to show them what it is like without them having to book a full cruise so I think the BVE is a great idea.

If you did Seattle can I ask how the parking worked and getting to and from the terminal to the parking lot after the BVE is over? I was thinking there may not still be shuttles hanging around as all of the previous passengers should already be back to their cars by the time you have to disembark. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the BVE in San Pedro. It was a turn around day and the ship was heading up to Victoria to start the Alaska season.

I can't help you with your parking question, but I highly recommend the BVE for yourself and friends, it's a great way to spend the day! And the $39 you pay is then offered as a future cruise credit, so it pays for itself.