Salmon Bake suggestions

tt_moore

When we are in Juneau we are interested in doing a salmon bake?

Really really good. We are a little on the foodie side [emoji15] [emoji12]

The place to start looking is in "excursions" in your Personalizer.

You could also try the Alaska boards.

And Google is your friend (if you want to DIY).

We thought the flightseeing to and from the Taku Lodge which is combined with a salmon bake at the lodge (that happens to be directly across from the Take Gacier) was excellent, so much so we have done it several times. That is a Princess excursion.

We thought the flightseeing to and from the Taku Lodge which is combined with a salmon bake at the lodge (that happens to be directly across from the Take Gacier) was excellent, so much so we have done it several times. That is a Princess excursion.

Taku Lodge excursion is amazing & salmon bake is great ! Worth the money.

Just returned, May 19th and enjoyed Taku Lodge, float plane & salmon....1st time, but not my last. Group of no more than 50. So a very personalized touch.

The day we were there we were the first group of 5 planes at 11:30, 3 other groups from other ships were to follow us up until 8:30pm.

Pilots & staff, pleasant. Food above average...others have stated best salmon they have ever had....I can't go that far, but it was very good.

Even though we had rain flying over the glaciers was fascinating..and walking in the mossy Forrest was cool. BTW...we did see Grandma bear.

Another vote for Taku Lodge. The flights were amazing and the salmon bake some of the best we have had in a group setting.

The bear that visited when we were there was named Lois. Not sure if she is the same as Grandma Bear. We have some great pictures of her licking the BBQ grill after our salmon had been brought in.

We would not hesitate to do this excursion again.

Carolyn

Would we have time to mendenhall also? Want to hike at least to nugget falls

This depends upon the length of your port call there, and how early of an excursion to Taku you can book. Honestly, Taku is so worth it in comparison to Mendenhall, imho. It was some of the best salmon we ever had, and mama bear and baby bear appeared for a photo op on que. There are hiking opportunities through the woods around the Taku Lodge and time to take a nice walk.

Another vote for Taku Lodge. The flights were amazing and the salmon bake some of the best we have had in a group setting.

The bear that visited when we were there was named Lois. Not sure if she is the same as Grandma Bear. We have some great pictures of her licking the BBQ grill after our salmon had been brought in.

We would not hesitate to do this excursion again.

Carolyn

Yes, Lois was her name I knew it began with an L , I was thinking Lola, thanks for setting me straight.

Would we have time to mendenhall also? Want to hike at least to nugget falls

We were the 11:30 group and yes, there would be plenty of time as Mendenhall stays open late, if you are on Ruby and leave at 11.

I had made tentative plans to go to Mendenhall, since my son had not been to Alaska before and he nixed the idea. Said he would rather go on the Tram and hike there. He said Taku was his Glacier for the day.... We purchased the tickets at the tram around 3pm and walked right on. But getting back down was not as quick

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2...nts-lose-power

Enjoy....

I HAVE done extensive research. Now looking to the CC community for their ACTUAL experiences. Looking to be able to ask specific questions once i hear comments.

Salmon bake was EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have booked through them directly. They have a shuttle bus to & from town.

You will not be disappointed.

Tom😎

Ok another question. We dock at 8....can we get to Mendenhall hike to nugget falls and photo point (40yrs, active) see the visitor center and them back to catch float plane for 1230 tour? Happy to uber or taxi to speed up transfers to/from.

....or am i crazy!!? FOMO!!! HAHA

IMO, if you don't spend much time at the visitor center and Uber it, then yes. Just get the lead out. We had a 4 hr. tour with traveling to/from and we had way more time than we wanted at the visitor center and only did about a 1/2 mile hike. Bus moved incredibly slowly and we had lots of waiting around for others.

Salmon bake was EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have booked through them directly. They have a shuttle bus to & from town.

You will not be disappointed.

Tom[emoji41]

Totally agree... this is a great experience. I booked it directly which gave me additional time options and saved a few $. We were able to whale watch in the morning and then did a 3:00 pm flight. Overall a fabulous day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I first saw the title of this thread it made me think of the Salmon Bake restaurants in Alaska. :) There are several of them and one is right across from the Princess Denali Lodge. The folks at the lodge had a good story about new employees who came to the lodge to work and who went across the street to The Salmon Bake for food and drinks. The newbies would be drinking (and drinking, and drinking) and all of a sudden would be surprised by last call for alcohol. They would be surprised because it wasn't dark so "it can't be all that late". They weren't used to the fact that it simply never got dark. I believe the alcohol cutoff was 3:00 AM and the new staff would freak out because they had to be at work quite early the "next day". It has to be a bummer to realize that you are wasted and have to be at work in a few hours. The seasoned staff at the lodge referred to this as "The Bake Mistake".

As for the original inquiry, I am quite useless when it comes to answering. My wife loves salmon and I am not much of a fan of fish or seafood. For her sake I would do a salmon bake in Alaska but I doubt she would ask it of me as she wouldn't want to spend the money on something she knows I wouldn't enjoy much. Sorry for the diversion.

Does anyone know if you can just drive up to salmon bake? We will have rental. Do you need reservation? Thank you!!

The salmon bake at Taku Lodge s accessible only by plane, and you most definitely need reservations. You can drive to the place you begin the tour, which is the dockside seaplane area.

Does anyone know if you can just drive up to salmon bake? We will have rental. Do you need reservation? Thank you!!

it depends which one you want to go to

Gold Creek Salmon Bake-- no you don't need a reservation, just $$ :)

its in the toursaver book too so may want to consider that if you have a rental car and last year the rental car was in the book as well

https://www.toursaver.com/alaska-travel-adventures-salmon-bake

When I first saw the title of this thread it made me think of the Salmon Bake restaurants in Alaska. :) There are several of them and one is right across from the Princess Denali Lodge. The folks at the lodge had a good story about new employees who came to the lodge to work and who went across the street to The Salmon Bake for food and drinks. The newbies would be drinking (and drinking, and drinking) and all of a sudden would be surprised by last call for alcohol. They would be surprised because it wasn't dark so "it can't be all that late". They weren't used to the fact that it simply never got dark. I believe the alcohol cutoff was 3:00 AM and the new staff would freak out because they had to be at work quite early the "next day". It has to be a bummer to realize that you are wasted and have to be at work in a few hours. The seasoned staff at the lodge referred to this as "The Bake Mistake".

As for the original inquiry, I am quite useless when it comes to answering. My wife loves salmon and I am not much of a fan of fish or seafood. For her sake I would do a salmon bake in Alaska but I doubt she would ask it of me as she wouldn't want to spend the money on something she knows I wouldn't enjoy much. Sorry for the diversion.

You’ve got to try it! The flight there and the lodge are awesome. The history is really interesting. I think they have chicken for non fish people. However DH will not generally eat salmon but he tried it and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it depends which one you want to go to

Gold Creek Salmon Bake-- no you don't need a reservation, just $$ :)

its in the toursaver book too so may want to consider that if you have a rental car and last year the rental car was in the book as well

https://www.toursaver.com/alaska-travel-adventures-salmon-bake

If you are even close to being a "foodie" - the Gold Creek Salmon Bake is NOT what you are looking for. My wife and I went - but only because we were with our 16-person family group. We would much rather have gone to Taku.