Advice about these ports

Which of these ports, in your experience, lend themselves to walking into the town and seeing the town independently? Or, perhaps grabbing a taxi to get to a special place in town. Zadar, Rijeka, Split, Koper, Kotor, Corfu, Catania.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been to all of the ports listed, but it is very easy to do Split on your own and the ships dock within walking distance of the old town (built inside the palace of a Roman emperor).

Corfu Town would also be easy to do on your own but the dock is not close to town -- you'd need to take a shuttle or local bus or a taxi.

When we visited Zadar I took a walking tour from my ship -- no buses needed. The tour was included but it would have been easy to do on your own.

Finally, for Catania I'd advise figuring out how to get to Taormina -- much prettier and more fun to walk around than Catania. Many ships offer a transportation-only option; there's also a train.

I can only confirm Cruisemom's reply re a couple of ports.

Split - it's a short (10 mins, mebbe 15) waterfront walk from your ship to the Diocletian's Palace, the main visitor attraction in Split.

Corfu - frequent (every 10 mins or less) local bus from the port gate to the centre, ditto coming back from that same drop-point. The ride is no more than 10 minutes & sosts just a few euros.

(And Catania is a place I've not heard before, but I know folk rave over Taormina)

JB :)

Kotor was very easy to see on your own. our ship docked right near the entrance to the old town. Same with Koper. But we didn't feel there was as much to see there, so after our short tour, we took the bus to Piran. Very easy to get to and worth it - beautiful sea side town.

Kotor is simple to do from the ship. An extremely handsome town, and if you're good walkers, there are some terrific overlooks. And the sail-in is spectacular.

We went to Krka National Forest from Zadar: fantastic!