Another scooter question

Grand PooBah

Have rented a scooter for an October cruise. Anyone had any experience at taking these ashore in places like San Jaun, St. Martin or Labadee? My experience has been that even walking on their sidewalks is dangerous, let alone riding a scooter. If you have done this, I would appreciate your perspective.

I have taken the scooter out in San Juan, Labadee and St Maarten. As you note San Juan sidewalks are narrow but the scooter fits. It’s also hilly which added additional thrills. Drive carefully and its manageable. Labadee is easy as it’s pretty flat and there are walkways. Was also able to go across the packed sand near the tram turn around/buffet/marketplace. Obviously avoid the soft sand. I’ve scooted into Philipsburg (about a mile) and taken it on the ferry to the dock near the courthouse. Never had a problem although this past February the cobblestone walks were a little more challenging as there were some pot holes and more uneven post hurricane. Again, watch where you go, travel at a safe speed and you will be ok. Full charge was fine for me in all 3 ports without getting low on power ( but if I’m stationary for more than a few moments I shut it off to save power).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just recently used my scooter in all of these ports. San Juan is very bumpy with a lot of hills, but it can be done. The ferry in St. Marteen was really easy, and I just did some shopping there. Most of Labadee is accessible. However, it was a little challenging to get near the beach bungalows. I had to take a longer route (past all of the high pressure sales in artisan village) and then park at the edge of the walkway and walk in. I also could not use my scooter to get from the bungalows to the restrooms or cafe as the sand there was too soft. Otherwise, nothing was off limits.

Riding a scooter is like driving a car. You must know what the scooter is able to do, such as steep hears, bumps, clearance over obstacles, and turning radius. Than you drive it based on that info. My wife uses a scooter literally around the world. Some places are great. Some others, are "fun".

Just remember, with a scooter, you can't always do everything. You must adapt, and drive safely.

Rented one out of San Juan on Adventure a few years back for my wife after her foot surgery. It was a fairly large scooter. Didn't venture out too much due to her walking limitations, but do remember that the most challenging part to her was going up and down the fairly steep ramps to get on/off the ship. Crew was helpful in that but DW was a bit intimidated as she is about as far from being a daredevil as you can get. Not being accustomed to using one did not help. If she used one a lot it might have been a piece of cake.