Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:55 AM.
Indiana PA
3,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I completely agree with the Jeopardy guy! Manhattan would have many more choices, but no matter the size of the shop, almost always there's at least one worthy item, and probably the business is locally owned which is another plus!!

Right now, I'm trying to find a good alterations person who can do the same professional job as my former Alternation Goddess. A couple skirts needed hemming, a couple dresses need a little work. A few nips and tucks makes any garment look like it came from a high end boutique.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Let's Go Cruising!
7,712 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by indiana71

Right now, I'm trying to find a good alterations person who can do the same professional job as my former Alternation Goddess. A couple skirts needed hemming, a couple dresses need a little work. A few nips and tucks makes any garment look like it came from a high end boutique.
Have you tried a local Bridal shop. Bridal alterations are hard to do, therefore the person would have to be a great sewer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<

12/10/17 & 1/4/18 & 3/4/18
Regal Princess
Seven Nights Caribbean Cruise

Seattle
603 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I use Clarins skin care, cleanser, toner, and moisturiser.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monarch of the Seas 2007
Voyager of the Seas 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas 2012
Freedom of the Seas 2013
Oosterdam 2014
Royal Princess 2017

Indiana PA
3,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
There's an Alterations Shop in the plaza near a local consignment shop...but the owner of the consignment shop did not recommend using that shop. I looked at the shop's fb page and saw all positive comments (including a couple brides)...so deciding to give her a try, I called and then took pants, a skirt and a dress that all needed hemming. Figured if that is done well, I'll try one of the more complicated alterations next time.

My only surprise: Those 3 hemmed items won't be done for several weeks!! There are 2 alterations ladies and they are very busy right now. Guess that indicates they do a good job...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Let's Go Cruising!
Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,017 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Indiana, the shop probably didn’t recommend that alteration shop as she knew they were too busy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Awhfy&date=11-26-2017&text=48th anniversary in St Maarten&ship=Celebrity Eclipse[/

Les & Melody
7,712 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Indiana,
Does you church have a sewing group? You might be able to find a good home sewer there who is willing to take on the job.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<

12/10/17 & 1/4/18 & 3/4/18
Regal Princess
Seven Nights Caribbean Cruise

Indiana PA
3,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
awfhy: If the alterations shop tells me 3 weeks when I take in other items, I will look for someone else...especially when the item is needed for a Cruise. The consignment shop owner could have heard complaints about the length of time from her customers.

geocruiser: Great idea! I will ask at church. Thanks for the suggestion
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Let's Go Cruising!
england
101 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
hi
indianna 71. could you please tell me how to do a spread sheet please. i have got my clothes on a rail ready for sorting out. but not got a clue how to make a spread sheet. thanks lynn