Alaska Round Trip From Los Angeles in 2018!

KruzPrincess

While I was on a cruise to Hawaii a while back I met a woman who was asking everyone to sign a petition asking Princess to do an Alaska cruise out of Los Angeles. I signed and thought it sounded great, but doubted that Princess would ever do this. WELL..... Princess must have listened! There is a 12 night Alaska cruise sailing April 27, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. Bookings just opened today. I'm posting this for people who like to sail out of Southern CA. I don't want you all to miss this opportunity. I'm guessing this is a test by Princess to see how well it sells. BTW, it follows the 28 day Tahiti, Somoa, Hawaii cruise. That would be an awesome B2B!!

While I was on a cruise to Hawaii a while back I met a woman who was asking everyone to sign a petition asking Princess to do an Alaska cruise out of Los Angeles. I signed and thought it sounded great, but doubted that Princess would ever do this. WELL..... Princess must have listened! There is a 12 night Alaska cruise sailing April 27, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. Bookings just opened today. I'm posting this for people who like to sail out of Southern CA. I don't want you all to miss this opportunity. I'm guessing this is a test by Princess to see how well it sells. BTW, it follows the 28 day Tahiti, Somoa, Hawaii cruise. That would be an awesome B2B!!

I was so excited to see your post. I love Alaska and live in California. Unfortunately, TOO many sea days for me. Now, I'm sad. Hopefully, this new itinerary will benefit other cruisers --- it's nice to have options.

That sounds wonderful! Haven't had an opportunity to look for it, would it make any American Port stops along the way before I'm assuming it will stop in Seattle or Vancouver? And I would love to do that Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii Cruise. That sounds fantastic. What a very cool way to do a B2B if you could.

That sounds wonderful! Haven't had an opportunity to look for it, would it make any American Port stops along the way before I'm assuming it will stop in Seattle or Vancouver? And I would love to do that Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii Cruise. That sounds fantastic. What a very cool way to do a B2B if you could.

Pam posted the itinerary. Standard inside passage with Vancouver and Glacier Bay. I'm so happy that Glacier Bay is included. It's pretty early in the year, so I'm wondering how much ice will still be in the water. I've never gone to Alaska so early in the year. I agree that this will likely sell out very quickly. Me, I love those sea days!

I think I agree Tony. I adore see days. I really do but if I'm going to have that many I think I'd rather do transatlantic. That itinerary really needs to stop in San Francisco and Seattle. It could do San Francisco on the way up in Seattle on the way back. Or hey why not even go down to Ensenada for one day and then back up to LA.. LOL Mexico and Alaska on the same cruise! That would be a really cool thing to Market.

As someone who doesn't live near LA - this doesn't interest me at all.

I would rather fly to YVR and spend the 2 weeks sailing in Alaska with out all the sea days and see the ports and glaciers 2x. Far more scenic for me.

Pam posted the itinerary. Standard inside passage with Vancouver and Glacier Bay. I'm so happy that Glacier Bay is included. It's pretty early in the year, so I'm wondering how much ice will still be in the water. I've never gone to Alaska so early in the year. I agree that this will likely sell out very quickly. Me, I love those sea days!

Keith1010 did a Crystal cruise once (Asia back to Vancouver?) during that time and had amazing weather. I think he lucked out big time. I wouldn't count on this weather every year.

He has pics here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2323612

While I was on a cruise to Hawaii a while back I met a woman who was asking everyone to sign a petition asking Princess to do an Alaska cruise out of Los Angeles. I signed and thought it sounded great, but doubted that Princess would ever do this. WELL..... Princess must have listened! There is a 12 night Alaska cruise sailing April 27, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. Bookings just opened today. I'm posting this for people who like to sail out of Southern CA. I don't want you all to miss this opportunity. I'm guessing this is a test by Princess to see how well it sells. BTW, it follows the 28 day Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii cruise. That would be an awesome B2B!!

I read the thread that started a week or so ago that had a list from a travel agent with all the new 2017/2018 itineraries and have been impatiently waiting for today.

As soon as Princess went "live" with the new itineraries, I booked!!

Alaska, here we come.:D

When I booked, the rep told me that there were already 100 bookings (so I was 101?).

One thing I will be watching for is what pops up in May/June 2018. There may be more LA/Alaska cruises planned. If so, I will probably switch to the "warmer" months.

As someone who has sailed LA-Vancouver so regularly he gets welcomed like long-lost family at San Pedro. . .

I adore the idea of this itinerary, but I won't do it on Emerald, Ruby or Crown because it's cold on the North Pacific in April and early May. The lack of a covered magrodrome area makes the Horizon Court / Cafe Caribe seating overflow. It drives more people to the MDR for lunch to the point the line flows into the Princess Theatre. The lotus spa pool is regularly closed due to sloshing. Magic To Do gets cancelled due to sea conditions. The apparent wind is often over 50mph. The seas are often choppy. MUTS is a frostbite risk. My Mai tai gets ripples in it.

I like being on the water in the North Pacific a lot. I just don't like doing it on a full ship with people who expect a sunny cruise and where there isn't a pool likely to be useable.

I don't think anyone who has booked this has expectations that it'll be a warm weather cruise. If it's warm, that'll be icing on the cake. The reality is that it could be snowing or it could be 60-degrees. I'll pack layers and be prepared. Love the sea days. I've been on other cold weather cruises when even the covered pool area was too cold. It won't be worse than those. :)

As someone who has sailed LA-Vancouver so regularly he gets welcomed like long-lost family at San Pedro. . .

I adore the idea of this itinerary, but I won't do it on Emerald, Ruby or Crown because it's cold on the North Pacific in April and early May. The lack of a covered magrodrome area makes the Horizon Court / Cafe Caribe seating overflow. It drives more people to the MDR for lunch to the point the line flows into the Princess Theatre. The lotus spa pool is regularly closed due to sloshing. Magic To Do gets cancelled due to sea conditions. The apparent wind is often over 50mph. The seas are often choppy. MUTS is a frostbite risk. My Mai tai gets ripples in it.

I like being on the water in the North Pacific a lot. I just don't like doing it on a full ship with people who expect a sunny cruise and where there isn't a pool likely to be useable.

I do agree with you. That class of ship gets awfully crowded during a cool weather cruise. No covered pool area to retreat to and everyone is inside more.

We were never interested in Caribbean but now we have done two Caribbean and one Alaska. One more Alaska on the way. I actually preferred the weather of the Alaska because people were a little more reserved. Even if it was a little cold to watch MUTS,I liked that Cool Breeze. Granted I go at the end of the season so in September it's not as cold as it could be.

Thanks for the heads up on this cruise. We just booked it. Seems to be selling briskly for the first day if you look at the cabin categories that are available. Two years is a long time out for us. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you. That class of ship gets awfully crowded during a cool weather cruise. No covered pool area to retreat to and everyone is inside more.

Maybe or maybe not. We did Alaska on the Ruby last year and it didn't feel particularly crowded. The ship was full and there were a lot of kids because it was August. We did the Sun in Alaska 9 years ago in September and we didn't "feel" any difference in the "crowds" compared to the Ruby last August. I guess we will see since we booked this LA to Alaska cruise. :D

I can not wait and thank the powers that be and Pam for pushing for this home port cruise.

I booked as soon as I could this afternoon. I sailed a similar Itinerary on another cruise lines ship repositioning cruise, almost the same dates. I packed in layers for any weather. We had Temps a few days in the 60's that felt so warm our tour guide passed out Popsicles. Cruising the Glacier was freezing with large Icebergs. Just spectacular. We saw all the wild life. Orcas, Eagles, beaver, seals even bear.

I can not wait to go back again.

I love sea days. There are not too many for me. I look forward to enjoying both the land and the sea.

Hope to see you on board.

I have no hesitation sailing a regular-season Alaska cruise on these ships. Heck, last time we were in Skagway it set temperature records.

It's the combo of early and a lot of open sea sailing that bites. Surface temps are likely to be highs of less than 50F. Wind speeds across the deck greater the. 50 kts equate to a wind chill of a brisk 37F.

I'm all for it, and again, I love sea days, but there will inevitably be grousing about it by people who think the weather sailing north from LA will be temperate.

I have no hesitation sailing a regular-season Alaska cruise on these ships. Heck, last time we were in Skagway it set temperature records.

It's the combo of early and a lot of open sea sailing that bites. Surface temps are likely to be highs of less than 50F. Wind speeds across the deck greater the. 50 kts equate to a wind chill of a brisk 37F.

I'm all for it, and again, I love sea days, but there will inevitably be grousing about it by people who think the weather sailing north from LA will be temperate.

Exactly! Take note folks, especially those from the UK (you know who you are). You can't rely on the movies or the TV shows to give you an idea of what the LA and coastal CA weather will be like. Its always sunny and warm in California.......NOT. :D

As someone who doesn't live near LA - this doesn't interest me at all.

I would rather fly to YVR and spend the 2 weeks sailing in Alaska with out all the sea days and see the ports and glaciers 2x. Far more scenic for me.

Ditto!

If you are up for the adventure sincerely I would say go for it. Usually not as much snow as horizontal windy rain and average temp of 48F/9C.