Partial Live Thread on Serenade of the Seas Cruise starting 1/15/18

laseiber

A word of caution for those traveling in Jan/Feb/March flying from the north, start an extra day or two early getting to Florida. We left our home at 5PM Friday evening driving only 45 miles to airport. Overnight we had rain which changed to ICE then SNOW and blowing. We got up at 3 AM left on shuttle to airport at 4 AM. The roads were so bad that it took us 30 min to go 3 miles. Needless to say we knew our plane would be delayed. They had 3 small planes scheduled to leave within 5 -10 min apart. Turned out to be 45 min +, due to deicing. So we sat on plane for 2 hrs waiting for deicing. We missed our connection in Dulles, so we were rerouted to Chicago. We left Dulles at 2 PM and spent the rest of the day at O'Hare. We left there 7:35 their time. Had the worsts seats ever on a fully booked plane. I had middle seat with a nice young lady at window and a severly drunk man on the isle. Why he wasn't removed is beyond me. I was about to loose it, because he smelled reeked of stale beer. United will hear about it when I get home. Made it to Ft. Lauderdale a little ght. We holding breath werethat our luggage would make it on our little detour, because we watched it on the luggage cart, at Dulles and they didn't put it in the hold with other on that cart. If you have a disability, make sure to call ahead and let them you know ahead of time (which I did) to help you make connections, especially if you have a tight time line. They were very accommodating.

Day Two - Ft Lauderdale - We are staying at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach (not on beach), we had 5 adults in an accessable room. 2 queens and queen sofa couch. Hotel offers free bottled water, we took great advantage of this as we all drink water. Coffee in lobby available at all times. In room coffee maker, microwave, and mini fridge with sink, table with 1 chair. It was an adjoining room. No noise issues. It is within walking distance (even for me who can't do steps or walk long distances) of Chipote, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Mall with Marshalls and other stores, and the LasVags Cuban Restaurant. Great Cuban dishes, DH and I had the Cuban Sandwichs, daughter had empanadas and a shrimp dish, her boyfriend had the special, strip steak, pork chops and another meat, Had a pitcher of Sangria to wash it down. It was good but it didn't have fresh fruit in it (they used canned fruit cocktail). It was busy and everyone we talked to enjoyed what they had as well. This hotel offered free shuttle if it was available. We walked to restaurant in daylight, and call for hotel shuttle after dark. I gave driver a tip for his efforts. Airport shuttle to and from hotel is free only runs until 11:30 pm. There are taxis available outside the luggage pick up. Very reasonable. We had 3 people with 6 large suitcases and 3 carry-ons. $30. Scheduled them for pick up tomorrow at 10 am for 5 people and 11 pieces. The hotel does offer shuttle at 10 pp in large buses. They had at least 3 loading up today starting at 10 and running thru 12 noon. Yes I would recommend hotel. Pool is heated and have lifts for getting in pool and one for hot tub. Have a nice weight room. Breakfast buffet was good with a large selection of food. Snacks available to purchase at front desk if you get the need for muchies.

Any questions, please let me know and I will try to answer them as I go along, or upon my return. Will try to include photos, but no guara.ntees. Airport runway at start of trip.19060142_2070598033014027_1628028211989146736_n.jpg?oh=2e377b0f707b0df6ef423bd392097824&oe=5AFBCDEA

Nice start. good that you made it out. Can't believe they sent you to Chicago to get to Florida, like going from the frying pan to the fire! We've used that same hotel several times, some restaurants within walking distance.

I think someone else is already doing a live review from the Serenade.

But thanks anyway...

I'm looking forward to reading another live review of the Serenade...always nice to hear about more than one cruiser's experience.:) Thanks laseiber!

I'm looking forward to reading another live review of the Serenade...always nice to hear about more than one cruiser's experience.:) Thanks laseiber!

I agree. I did an 11-day cruise on Serenade just last month and even did a "just off" trip report right here on this board, but I still enjoy reading about other people's experiences. :)

Glad to hear the Cuban restaurant had Cuban sandwiches. They couldn’t make us one when we were there a couple years ago.

We know all about flying out in the winter. One winter our direct flight from Pittsburgh was rerouted to go to Philadelphia, on to Atlanta, then to Vegas. Talk about a round about way to get there. Glad you made it there okay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be on the Serenade for 3 weeks in March. Can't wait!! Can you tell me, please, what the current pricing is for the deluxe beverage package? I know I can buy before we board, but have some OBC and need to make that comparison... Enjoy your cruise!

I don’t care if everybody on the ship posts a review, I’ll enjoy every one. I guarantee each one will contain a fresh angle. Your flight experience just brings out how important it is to leave wriggle room. We drive from Jacksonville and it’s less than 6 hours and no snow and ice. We always leave at least a day early. Gridlock on 95 can occur multiple times in that short distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums