Rome Hotel Recommendations

ITGuyMD

Hello All,

We are first time cruisers set to sail in June on Oceania on a Rome to Rome cruise, and we are planning to stay an additional 4 nights in the Eternal City at the end of our cruise. We were looking for some hotel recommendations in Rome as well as any other advice on planning and timing.

At this point, our last major planning point is deciding where to stay in Rome and how much time to allot for each area we wish to visit. Any hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated, our goal is to stay at $250-300 (or less!) per night for a nice place in the forum area. We want to stay in a place that has some character/soul that is still clean with modern amenities, not some pasteurized business hotel full of Ikea furnishings.

Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

Day 1) Disembark 8am, 3 hours transfer to Rome and check-in to hotel. If it is close to Roman Forum, tour main Roman Forum, Coliseum and anything else we can fit in 6 hour period.

Day 2) Vatican Tour. I looked over this briefly, we want to try to see everything, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Gardens (which should be amazing in June), any specific Vatican packages that cover it all is appreciated.

Day 3) Pompei/Vesuvius - I've read this is doable for a day trip and a 2 hour or so ride away from Rome.

Day 4) Anything left in Rome we didn't cover on Day 1. Relax if saw it all, maybe visit Forum again.

I guess we are mainly looking for positive reviews and suggestions for hotels. I think I would enjoy a home base in the Forum area, I saw a hotel called Forum Hotel that looked interesting with some charm that also had some beautiful views. We figure we can arrange for transport to everywhere else, but we really want to be in an area that isn't any other city block in any other busy city in the world.

Here's link to the hotel we were looking at: http://www.hotelforum.com/

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks !!!

Hello All,

We are first time cruisers set to sail in June on Oceania on a Rome to Rome cruise, and we are planning to stay an additional 4 nights in the Eternal City at the end of our cruise. We were looking for some hotel recommendations in Rome as well as any other advice on planning and timing.

At this point, our last major planning point is deciding where to stay in Rome and how much time to allot for each area we wish to visit. Any hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated, our goal is to stay at $250-300 (or less!) per night for a nice place in the forum area. We want to stay in a place that has some character/soul that is still clean with modern amenities, not some pasteurized business hotel full of Ikea furnishings.

Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

Day 1) Disembark 8am, 3 hours transfer to Rome and check-in to hotel. If it is close to Roman Forum, tour main Roman Forum, Coliseum and anything else we can fit in 6 hour period.

Day 2) Vatican Tour. I looked over this briefly, we want to try to see everything, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Gardens (which should be amazing in June), any specific Vatican packages that cover it all is appreciated.

Day 3) Pompei/Vesuvius - I've read this is doable for a day trip and a 2 hour or so ride away from Rome.

Day 4) Anything left in Rome we didn't cover on Day 1. Relax if saw it all, maybe visit Forum again.

I guess we are mainly looking for positive reviews and suggestions for hotels. I think I would enjoy a home base in the Forum area, I saw a hotel called Forum Hotel that looked interesting with some charm that also had some beautiful views. We figure we can arrange for transport to everywhere else, but we really want to be in an area that isn't any other city block in any other busy city in the world.

Here's link to the hotel we were looking at: http://www.hotelforum.com/

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks !!!

Sounds like a plan except for one small detail: are you talking about June 2017? If so, many of the best hotels already will be booked solid.

That said, and with the understanding that you may not be able to get a room at this late date, check out Garibaldi Suites, a small hidden gem within one block of the Spanish Steps. The manager there will also be able to arrange a driver and guide who are far better and less expensive than the many website tours/drivers often recommended here on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hotel Forum is indeed a hotel with 'character' but some of the rooms are pretty shabby. I would recommend staying elsewhere -- you can still find a hotel with Italian character -- but definitely visit the rooftop bar at the Hotel Forum and watch a sunset at least once.

If you want to be in the area nearer to the Colosseum and the other ancient sites (Forum, Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla, Trajan's market), then I can suggest looking at Hotel Nerva. Definitely has that Italian feeling and the personable owners have been steadily upgrading the hotel. Great breakfasts and personal service.

An area I like even more (despite my interest in all things related to ancient Rome) is the area near the Pantheon. In the price range your considering, you may be able to get something at the Albergo Cesari (between the Pantheon and Trevi) or the Albergo Santa Chiara (right behind the Pantheon); both definitely have some Italian character. Albergo Cesari also has a great rooftop area that's used for breakfast and as a bar in the evenings.

You should be able to see a lot on Day One. It shouldn't take all of 3 hours to get to Rome and check into your hotel (some hotels may not even let you check in that early, but you can leave your luggage). The ticket for the Colosseum includes the Forum and Palatine Hill, so I'd take advantage of that and do at least two of the three.

On Day Two, you do not necessarily need a guide for the entire day but you might consider one for the Vatican museum. You can look at private tours or can book the official tour through the Vatican (they also have tours of the Gardens, since you're interested). The guides are very knowledgeable; tour groups aren't small but they operate with earphones so everyone can hear. Once you suss out when your tours would be, you can plan to visit St. Peters on your own either before or after (Rick Steves has a free podcast or a written tour in his guidebooks).

If you're after a higher level of understanding about any of the key sites in Rome, take a look at Context Tours. They offer great tours for those who want to really be immersed in the history, but not really intended for those that just want a casual overview and some stories....

You have not mentioned some of the iconic sites of Rome such as a the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Borghese Gallery and Gardens, Capitoline Museum. There is more than enough to fill four days in Rome. However, if you just HAVE to visit Pompeii, the fast train from Rome to Naples takes just over an hour each way, then you can take the local train to the Pompeii site. (On the other hand, Ostia Antica, another outstanding ancient Roman city is located on Rome's doorstep and can be reached in about a half hour by train from the city...)

Let us know if you need more info...

ITGuyMD....

There's so much to see and do in Rome, I'd think twice about the day trip to Pompeii. I think Pompeii is about 6 hours away, and the whole excursion takes about 14-16 hours. You leave at the crack of dawn and don't get back till late at night, so you're going to be sitting on a bus for most of the day.

I'd take a look at all the cool local tours that are just as interesting and nearby.

1. Underground Rome...catacombs, skeletons, ancient temples...

(We booked this through Walks Of Italy and it was fantastic.)

2. Borghese Villa. Stunning museum and palazzo in the middle of Rome's version of Central Park, Borghese Park.

3. The museums on top of capitoline hill...filled with incredible artifacts.

4. A much easier day trip is out to Tivoli (takes about 45 min)...the Villa D'Este and the ruins of hadrians villa are great

5. In Rome, there's also an incredible underground tour of Nero's recently unearthed palace, the domus aurea...

Also, for us, the ruins at palatine hill in Rome are way better than Pompeii. We went to Pompeii this summer when our ship stopped at Naples. It was interesting but we were a little disappointed in that alt if the fights we had rad about were closed to the public.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BarbarianPaul

Would you be so kind to provide more info/details for item 5 on your list of the underground tour of Nero's palace, the domus aurea...

This will be our fourth visit to Rome and there are so many places that we have not seen.

Thank you.

BarbarianPaul

Would you be so kind to provide more info/details for item 5 on your list of the underground tour of Nero's palace, the domus aurea...

This will be our fourth visit to Rome and there are so many places that we have not seen.

Thank you.

You can find information about the Domus Aurea (literally "Golden House") here:http://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=51

The Domus Aurea is a very interesting site, but it is only partly opened due to concerns about the stability of the site. It's been "discovered" for centuries (not recently unearthed -- Raphael and Michelangelo used to have themselves let down into the ruins of the Palace on ropes in order to study the beautiful frescoes on the walls). It has only been open to the public sporadically in recent years due to issues with flooding and damage caused by the roots of the large trees in the park above it (currently being addressed).

I toured it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. There are only a few tours offered in English, and they only open up the dates a month or two in advance.

Sounds like a plan except for one small detail: are you talking about June 2017? If so, many of the best hotels already will be booked solid.

That said, and with the understanding that you may not be able to get a room at this late date, check out Garibaldi Suites, a small hidden gem within one block of the Spanish Steps. The manager there will also be able to arrange a driver and guide who are far better and less expensive than the many website tours/drivers often recommended here on CC.

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes unfortunately it is June of this year, we'll have to make do with the timeframe as we only finalized our cruise booking. We'll keep in mind the longer lead time in the future.

Hotel Forum is indeed a hotel with 'character' but some of the rooms are pretty shabby. I would recommend staying elsewhere -- you can still find a hotel with Italian character -- but definitely visit the rooftop bar at the Hotel Forum and watch a sunset at least once.

If you want to be in the area nearer to the Colosseum and the other ancient sites (Forum, Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla, Trajan's market), then I can suggest looking at Hotel Nerva. Definitely has that Italian feeling and the personable owners have been steadily upgrading the hotel. Great breakfasts and personal service.

An area I like even more (despite my interest in all things related to ancient Rome) is the area near the Pantheon. In the price range your considering, you may be able to get something at the Albergo Cesari (between the Pantheon and Trevi) or the Albergo Santa Chiara (right behind the Pantheon); both definitely have some Italian character. Albergo Cesari also has a great rooftop area that's used for breakfast and as a bar in the evenings.

You should be able to see a lot on Day One. It shouldn't take all of 3 hours to get to Rome and check into your hotel (some hotels may not even let you check in that early, but you can leave your luggage). The ticket for the Colosseum includes the Forum and Palatine Hill, so I'd take advantage of that and do at least two of the three.

On Day Two, you do not necessarily need a guide for the entire day but you might consider one for the Vatican museum. You can look at private tours or can book the official tour through the Vatican (they also have tours of the Gardens, since you're interested). The guides are very knowledgeable; tour groups aren't small but they operate with earphones so everyone can hear. Once you suss out when your tours would be, you can plan to visit St. Peters on your own either before or after (Rick Steves has a free podcast or a written tour in his guidebooks).

If you're after a higher level of understanding about any of the key sites in Rome, take a look at Context Tours. They offer great tours for those who want to really be immersed in the history, but not really intended for those that just want a casual overview and some stories....

You have not mentioned some of the iconic sites of Rome such as a the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Borghese Gallery and Gardens, Capitoline Museum. There is more than enough to fill four days in Rome. However, if you just HAVE to visit Pompeii, the fast train from Rome to Naples takes just over an hour each way, then you can take the local train to the Pompeii site. (On the other hand, Ostia Antica, another outstanding ancient Roman city is located on Rome's doorstep and can be reached in about a half hour by train from the city...)

Let us know if you need more info...

Thanks for the detailed suggestions!!! We will check them out and see if there's availability.

I did see an official Vatican tour package that we will probably book, it looked like 2 sessions, 1 for the Museums and the other part for the Gardens, and we can fit St. Peter's at the beginning or end as you suggested.

Our plan was to see as many sites in Rome on Day 1 after visiting the Forum, then see whatever else we can on Day 4 that we missed. We don't plan to see EVERYTHING, but we wanted to hit the main targets of Forum, Pantheon, Coliseum, Vatican, and Pompeii (everyone who has visited around Rome has insisted we make time for it). Our research found similar which is why we plan to make a day trip of it so thanks again for the info!

Edited by ITGuyMD

ITGuyMD....

There's so much to see and do in Rome, I'd think twice about the day trip to Pompeii. I think Pompeii is about 6 hours away, and the whole excursion takes about 14-16 hours. You leave at the crack of dawn and don't get back till late at night, so you're going to be sitting on a bus for most of the day.

I'd take a look at all the cool local tours that are just as interesting and nearby.

1. Underground Rome...catacombs, skeletons, ancient temples...

(We booked this through Walks Of Italy and it was fantastic.)

2. Borghese Villa. Stunning museum and palazzo in the middle of Rome's version of Central Park, Borghese Park.

3. The museums on top of capitoline hill...filled with incredible artifacts.

4. A much easier day trip is out to Tivoli (takes about 45 min)...the Villa D'Este and the ruins of hadrians villa are great

5. In Rome, there's also an incredible underground tour of Nero's recently unearthed palace, the domus aurea...

Also, for us, the ruins at palatine hill in Rome are way better than Pompeii. We went to Pompeii this summer when our ship stopped at Naples. It was interesting but we were a little disappointed in that alt if the fights we had rad about were closed to the public.

Hmm 6 hours round trip? That's what our research suggest, probably closer to 5 hours with 2.5 each way, but everyone we've talked to about our cruise has said Pompeii and Vesuvius was one of the highlights of their trip and a must-see while in Italy. We are planning for around 5 hours to see Pompeii and Vesuvius at a leisurely pace and we've seen plenty of tours that offer that type of timeframe. 14-16 hours definitely doesn't sound appealing but we are looking at that 10-12 hour timeframe which seems do-able from most online/tour site accounts.

We'll keep those suggestions in mind, thanks for the suggestions!

Hotel Grifo in Rome. Very central, easy to walk everywhere, nice restaurants, cafes, stores and plenty of locals in the area. Has the charm you would expect in this city, small but functional rooms. Also has a small elevator. Would stay here again for sure.

Hotel Grifo in Rome. Very central, easy to walk everywhere, nice restaurants, cafes, stores and plenty of locals in the area. Has the charm you would expect in this city, small but functional rooms. Also has a small elevator. Would stay here again for sure.

Hotel Grifo is in the same vicinity as Hotel Nerva, so a good choice if one wants to be nearer the ancient sites. But again, not quite as centrally located as the area around the Pantheon.

Thanks again everyone! We are booked at the Hotel Grifo in a double room with terrace. Price was phenomenal (just $537E for 4 nights) and the location is excellent as well, not quite as central like the Pantheon as Cruisemom42 noted, but still easily within walking distance to the ancient sites in Rome. We may cab/public transport or just go for a longer walk to the Vatican.

Hotel Nerva also looked great, but it costs over 2x as much and at the end of the day I don't think we will be trying to spend too much time at the hotel to make it worth it.

Similarly, the Boscolo is phenomenal looking and I'm sure it would be an extraordinary stay, but we didn't want to pay even the $1500 it would have cost (3+1 free night with Amex Platinum) to stay there when we are mainly looking to be out of the hotel as much as possible!

Thanks again all for the great suggestions!

Thanks again everyone! We are booked at the Hotel Grifo in a double room with terrace. Price was phenomenal (just $537E for 4 nights) and the location is excellent as well, not quite as central like the Pantheon as Cruisemom42 noted, but still easily within walking distance to the ancient sites in Rome. We may cab/public transport or just go for a longer walk to the Vatican.

Hotel Nerva also looked great, but it costs over 2x as much and at the end of the day I don't think we will be trying to spend too much time at the hotel to make it worth it.

Similarly, the Boscolo is phenomenal looking and I'm sure it would be an extraordinary stay, but we didn't want to pay even the $1500 it would have cost (3+1 free night with Amex Platinum) to stay there when we are mainly looking to be out of the hotel as much as possible!

Thanks again all for the great suggestions!

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The only time we used public transit was to go to the Vatican. We actually only used it one way and walked back, but it was a long walk. There is a small grocery store and lots of restaurants close by and of course a wonderful gelato shop just a few blocks down that we stopped at 2 or 3 times per day :) Enjoy your trip!

Yep thanks again, looks like it has plenty of charm and reviews stated it was clean, only semi-concern is the wife since she is a bit of a bed snob and really prefers the luxury hotels bc of that, but she signed off on it too.

It is probably a hotel that would not have come up on my search and even if it did, I might have passed over it, but a first hand review and endorsement makes a huge difference. We definitely noted the many reviews about the local restaurants and shops nearby and that was a major deciding factor for us.

Thanks again!

I note you have booked your hotel but I would strongly recommend to anyone else needing clean reasonable price accommodation to consider staying at a convent. There are many scattered around Rome. We stayed at one in 2012 ad 2013 which is directly opposite the vatican museums. I chose it as I was recovering from intense chemotherapy and knew I physically wouldn't be able to spend the time that hubby would want to spend. That way he was ok about me staying at the convent. The whole atmosphere was wonderful, the rooms all had air con, ensuite bathroom, can't remember about tv and there was a community kitchen with cooking facilities, tables and chairs and fridge and vending machine. Supermarket close by. Down side a bit far from termini.

We are going back for one night after our cruise later this year and I am looking for a convent closer to termini but if I can't get one, as many already booked out, I will return to where we have stayed and get taxis to and from termini. Bookings open 4 months prior.

• 10 months later...
Yep thanks again, looks like it has plenty of charm and reviews stated it was clean, only semi-concern is the wife since she is a bit of a bed snob and really prefers the luxury hotels bc of that, but she signed off on it too.

It is probably a hotel that would not have come up on my search and even if it did, I might have passed over it, but a first hand review and endorsement makes a huge difference. We definitely noted the many reviews about the local restaurants and shops nearby and that was a major deciding factor for us.

Thanks again!

I am in the planning stage for 2 - late 60 year old ladies for a stay in Rome pre cruise. I have never been to Rome before, a little lost with the information.

You should be back from your Rome stay.

Can you tell us about your hotel stay? Name, tourist places close by, walking distance to sights?

Name of any tours or websites i.e.: Vatican would be helpful.

Any information would be helpful.

• 1 month later...
I am in the planning stage for 2 - late 60 year old ladies for a stay in Rome pre cruise. I have never been to Rome before, a little lost with the information.

Can you tell us about your hotel stay? Name, tourist places close by, walking distance to sights?

I have been to Rome three times, and each time stayed at a different hotel. These days I travel solo, generally, am of your generation and need to be a bit more careful with the distances I walk each day.

The last hotel I stayed in was the Albergo de Senato. This was in January of 2017. It was the best hands down of any hotel in Italy I have stayed in. It is on the same Square as the Pantheon and within walking distance of all the major sites in Rome. Trevi, Piazza Navona, Forum, Colosseum , major cathedrals. Lots of great restaurants nearby, and a short walk to Campo de Fiori.

The Vatican is a bit of a walk, but if you are in good shape done in 30 minutes. I walked there, but taxied back since I spent all day in the museums and St. Peter’s.

Rome’s hotels can be spotty, and prices generally dictate your experience. I do not know what your budget is, but there are several others I can comment on if you stay in the historic center.

I am going back pre-cruise in Sept. with someone who has never been to a Rome and I am considering the Senato especially since all the rooms have been renovated. Staff is very helpful, friendly and breakfast was excellent. The bathrooms with tubs are the largest I have found in Italy. The hotel has opened a sister hotel that I am also considering.

On checking the TripAdvisor site, it is now #10 in Rome. Guess I was ahead of the crowd (and will have to pay for it [emoji6])

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. There are two more that I could mention if this one doesn’t sound good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there sorry I forgot about this post, hopefully a reply still helps you plan your trip.

Our hotel stay ended up being overall very good with some issues on the first night with the room AC. You can read about our experience in this TA review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d237193-r505298861-Hotel_Grifo-Rome_Lazio.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

I will emphasize that the room itself when compared to a US hotel is probably a 2.5-3 star experience, but you are not paying for the hotel experience as much as you are for the amazing location, food options and vibrant nightlife in the area.

For sightseeing, you are only 4 blocks or so away from the Coliseum, 4 blocks away from the Roman Forum, 4 blocks away from Augustus' Forum, 8-9 blocks away from Trevi Fountain, 13-14 away from Spanish Steps. Pantheon is another 13-14 away perhaps but they are all walkable in 15 minutes or so. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes as the large volcanic pavers in Rome are uneven and get very hot in the summertime. The only locale we really felt the need to cab to was the Vatican, but if you go to some of the gardened estates and villas you will also need to cab.

For tours, there are a number of options, the first day we ended up getting solicited by an individual to do the Colisseum tour by https://italywithus.com/ and it worked out great, even got a slight discount since the tour was just about to start and another discount for signing up with a 2nd tour for the Vatican (you get to choose the day). They sign you up and pay at the first office near the colisseum and you get the vouchers for the Vatican tour.

These tours are WELL WORTH IT. Some people sign up in advance but no matter how you book your tours, you should definitely go this route because YOU GET TO SKIP LINE QUEUES. This is honestly the single biggest reason to do the guided tours because you will almost always see 2 lines at any major tourist attraction, 1 for guided tours and 1 for general population. The gen pop lines snake around for what could be hours in the sweltering sun (June in Rome is 85-90 with a HOT sun), while the guided tour line, usually you are the line with maybe 1-2 groups with you. You also avoid getting lost or missing something, which is a major risk for the Vatican especially (a wrong turn means you might miss the museums or the Sistine Chapel). Also, the cost is actually not much more than general admission anyways, so again, more reason to just do the tours. We paid 50E per person per tour so 100E per site or 200E total (2x coliseum/forum, 2x Vatican) and from what I saw actual admission prices were 30-35E or more.

Finally, enjoy the food and the sites of Rome! The hotel we stayed at Hotel Grifo gave wonderful suggestions on good local Italian restaurants, all of which were 4-5 blocks away max. You can eat at a different place every night and not run out of options for a week! The one restaurant that seemed most highly rated in the area around the ancient sites was La Carbonara. Apparently its popular and well-rated on Yelp and Trip Advisor, they don't seem to take reservations (from tourists anyways) but the secret is to line up before 7pm and if you are there at first seating, you don't need a reservation with the caveat you must be finished by the time their 2nd seating reservations start (8:30pm). Really good food, some misses but mostly hits, great cocktails, great atmosphere (kind of a trendy 80s vibe with music and interesting decor).

Let me know if you have any other questions, we had a great time in Rome and look forward to visiting again!

Thank you for the great information.

We will coming off a Princess ship to Rome and going hotel to Rome airport after our stay.

Can you tell me how got from cruise port/airport to hotel?

We did everything by private car and had our hotel arrange it for us, which made it very easy with the spotty internet to just give the hotel our time of arrival. It is more expensive this way, but the last thing you are going to want to do is lug your luggage around the port into town (which would be about as much walking as you would do to see 3-4 sites in Rome) and then jump on a crowded commuter train or bus. A private car (luxury van or sedan) is similar price to a standard cab since the prices are regulated by their tourism authority, and if you have more than 2 of you, the price for each additional person is still cheaper than the increase in car size. If you can pair up with another group on the ship that is ideal but we weren't able to make arrangements with folks we met that had similar itineraries.

Do NOT arrive without arrangements with the expectation there will be readily available transportation at the cruise port, generally the only transportation there is car services, buses, and tour guides waiting to pick up those who arranged for travel. The drive back from Port to Rome is around 1.5 hours so its not super close and they only go there to pick up guaranteed fares. When you disembark it is pretty much chaos and you're going to be tired from your cruise, so the last thing you're going to want to do is sit around and try and make transportation arrangements. Private car will have a professional driver in a suit with your name on a placard and drive you ship to door in a air conditioned car for around 120E.