Transportation from Civitavecchia to FCO Rome Airport

MSunshine

Hello! We have organized a road trip up the coast of Italy and now we are in need of your experiences/suggestions/recommendations for our group of 6. We are travelling with friends, luggage and a mobility scooter post-cruise arriving in Civitavecchia on a Sunday in May. The rental car companies at the port are closed on Sundays so we have booked a rental from the FCO location. I was wondering what would be the best way for us (or maybe just one of us) to get to the airport to pick up the rental vehicle. Is it best for all of us to get a transfer to the airport or should one person go and come back to pick us up? Of course, then there's the issue of what we would do in the meantime with all our luggage. Any companies that are reputable?

Thanks in advance,

Melanie

We've done this after cruises both in the States and European ports (although not Civitavecchia); we always send one person off to get the car while the rest of us remain on board with the luggage until the very last minute. As long as the sacrificial driver gets going early enough, they're back with the car as the rest of us get off.

For FCO the fastest route would be a car service, but the train is also possible especially if the driver isn't bogged down with luggage. Maybe you could get on the roll call for your sailing and find someone else, perhaps a couple, who have a car to the airport and would have room for a third who doesn't need trunk space for bags.

Hello! We have organized a road trip up the coast of Italy and now we are in need of your experiences/suggestions/recommendations for our group of 6. We are travelling with friends, luggage and a mobility scooter post-cruise arriving in Civitavecchia on a Sunday in May. The rental car companies at the port are closed on Sundays so we have booked a rental from the FCO location. I was wondering what would be the best way for us (or maybe just one of us) to get to the airport to pick up the rental vehicle. Is it best for all of us to get a transfer to the airport or should one person go and come back to pick us up? Of course, then there's the issue of what we would do in the meantime with all our luggage. Any companies that are reputable?

Thanks in advance,

Melanie

Contact Stefano's RomeCabs. RomeCabs.com. You can see several videos on YouTube. They are great, inexpensive and friendly. You reserve a car and driver online and pay in cash when you arrive at your destination. I used them in November 2017 for transport from FCO to Civitavecchia. Our plane was an hour late and then it took another 30 minutes to get our luggage but the driver was still waiting for us.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any of the common car services recommended here can help you, like the wonderful Rome in Limo. Just look down the board for the many threads with recommendations.

The problem would be if you send off the "sacrificial" driver, he/she will not be able to get back in the port with the car to pick you up, due to security. So the rest of your group with all your stuff must get to the gate on your own.

I don't know, I think it's a lot easier to take the free port shuttle to the lot where the driver could pick everyone up rather than move everyone and all their stuff all the way to FCO (not to mention the expense, with that many people you'd pay more for a van to haul it all).

We've done this after cruises both in the States and European ports (although not Civitavecchia); we always send one person off to get the car while the rest of us remain on board with the luggage until the very last minute. As long as the sacrificial driver gets going early enough, they're back with the car as the rest of us get off.

For FCO the fastest route would be a car service, but the train is also possible especially if the driver isn't bogged down with luggage. Maybe you could get on the roll call for your sailing and find someone else, perhaps a couple, who have a car to the airport and would have room for a third who doesn't need trunk space for bags.

Great ideas. I never thought about staying on the ship as long as possible. Thanks! I will look into that.

Melanie

Contact Stefano's RomeCabs. RomeCabs.com. You can see several videos on YouTube. They are great, inexpensive and friendly. You reserve a car and driver online and pay in cash when you arrive at your destination. I used them in November 2017 for transport from FCO to Civitavecchia. Our plane was an hour late and then it took another 30 minutes to get our luggage but the driver was still waiting for us.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you James! I will check them out!

Melanie

Any of the common car services recommended here can help you, like the wonderful Rome in Limo. Just look down the board for the many threads with recommendations.

The problem would be if you send off the "sacrificial" driver, he/she will not be able to get back in the port with the car to pick you up, due to security. So the rest of your group with all your stuff must get to the gate on your own.

I don't know, I think it's a lot easier to take the free port shuttle to the lot where the driver could pick everyone up rather than move everyone and all their stuff all the way to FCO (not to mention the expense, with that many people you'd pay more for a van to haul it all).

I wasn't aware of the port shuttle. We were thinking that it might be more cost efficient to have one person get to the airport rental but weren't sure of the means of transportation available. This is our first time from Civitavecchia and with such a large group. We have a van rental which was a very reasonable cost so that we could all travel together. I will check all the suggestions and let you know what we all decide.

Thank you all so much for the great ideas and recommendations. Much appreciated!

Melanie

Well, we have voted...and the decision is for all to take a shuttle to the airport. No decision on which company to book with quite yet but we for sure want to be picked up at the ship so this will narrow it down. We will have a mobility scooter and luggage so we have decided that this would be the least stressful for our first time in Civitavecchia post cruise.

Time of travelling to and from the airport and to our destination is also a huge factor. Also, we are arriving on Sunday where the port rental places are closed; therefore having to make the long trek to the airport. Another issue that was brought up in the decision making is that the weather might not be cooperative so we would have to find a sheltered waiting area.

We would seriously consider waiting at the port while the driver went to pick up the rental vehicle if this was our situation in a Florida port. From past experiences in Florida, the rental companies have free shuttles to get you back and forth from the ship to rental office. That is not the case this time so we have to pay the extra for convenience. Either way we are just fortunate to be vacationing with our friends.

Hope this information helps others. Thank you all for your guidance!

Melanie

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to report back and say that our experience with FCC Transport was fantastic! After disembarking and collecting our luggage we walked through to the waiting shuttles and our driver was waiting for us. He loaded up the van and off we went without a hitch!

Thanks in advance,

Melanie

Airport is min one hour away from port. I would say this person will come back for you in 4 hours . I would just book a van for all of you to go . we booking from airpotransferdirect .

Oops, I mistakenly put FCC but the correct company is NCC airport. So sorry! The website is https://www.fiumicinoshuttleexpress.com/ Our driver was Claudio Notarbartolo.

After booking the no deposit transfer you will get an email with a confirmation ticket that you print and give to the driver upon arrival. The company emails you the day before the pick up with a picture of your driver, make of vehicle and driver's mobile #. It worked out well for us.

Melanie

Oops, I mistakenly put FCC but the correct company is NCC airport. So sorry! The website is https://www.fiumicinoshuttleexpress.com/ Our driver was Claudio Notarbartolo.

After booking the no deposit transfer you will get an email with a confirmation ticket that you print and give to the driver upon arrival. The company emails you the day before the pick up with a picture of your driver, make of vehicle and driver's mobile #. It worked out well for us.

Melanie

Thanks, appreciate it. I've used one of the other services that is mentioned here a lot and wasn't impressed at all, to the point of it putting the CCers in an unsafe position. Will look into your link, thanks.