DCL Wonder Vs. RCCL Freedom - Kids Club Video Games?

Shoobie1124

Hello Cruisers!

We did our first Disney Cruise on the Fantasy last year and cannot wait to book another one. Because of school/work we can only go on Spring break which means crowded ships and extra costs!

We were considering the 5 night Wonder...but our TA suggested the RCCL Freedom for 7 nights, for almost 2k less!

We have a 7 year old son - who enjoys the characters but it wouldn't make or break him not to see them. And is not into the extreme sports at all (He wouldn't rock climb at all) But he LOVED the Lab on the Fantasy. (Basically the video games and interactive play floor etc.)

I asked on the disney board and they said there are a lot of craft type things that he is not into. He would do free play with other kids - but wouldn't be into organized crafts/decorating things/bingo all the time. Is there a place where kids can just play or any wii type things?

Have your video game obsessed boys enjoyed the organized activities after being on a DCL cruise with free play?

Would he enjoy the clubs on RCCL as much as the Fantasy? Are there enough adult only areas that we can enjoy? (Serenity Cove was pure BLISS! ) and any adult only dining options we could take advantage of that are as wonderful as Remy and Palo?

Disney was great because it was a vacation for us too - we would hate to resent going on a longer cruise if he hated the kids club and we didn't have time to relax because of meltdowns!

Again - 7 year old boy, likes video games, interactive electronics, but not extreme sports or characters.

Thanks!

Gillian

Hello Cruisers!

We did our first Disney Cruise on the Fantasy last year and cannot wait to book another one. Because of school/work we can only go on Spring break which means crowded ships and extra costs!

We were considering the 5 night Wonder...but our TA suggested the RCCL Freedom for 7 nights, for almost 2k less!

We have a 7 year old son - who enjoys the characters but it wouldn't make or break him not to see them. And is not into the extreme sports at all (He wouldn't rock climb at all) But he LOVED the Lab on the Fantasy. (Basically the video games and interactive play floor etc.)

I asked on the disney board and they said there are a lot of craft type things that he is not into. He would do free play with other kids - but wouldn't be into organized crafts/decorating things/bingo all the time. Is there a place where kids can just play or any wii type things?

Have your video game obsessed boys enjoyed the organized activities after being on a DCL cruise with free play?

Would he enjoy the clubs on RCCL as much as the Fantasy? Are there enough adult only areas that we can enjoy? (Serenity Cove was pure BLISS! ) and any adult only dining options we could take advantage of that are as wonderful as Remy and Palo?

Disney was great because it was a vacation for us too - we would hate to resent going on a longer cruise if he hated the kids club and we didn't have time to relax because of meltdowns!

Again - 7 year old boy, likes video games, interactive electronics, but not extreme sports or characters.

My 8 year old son sounds very similar. He really enjoyed the kids club on the Disney Dream. He's been on 7 cruises... Cunard, Carnival, Celebrity, and Disney. When he was younger he was OK with the "organized activities", but as he has gotten older he has been less interested. I sort of see his point... we usually do our family vacation at the end of the summer, so he has had 6 weeks of organized activities (camp), then he gets stuck for 2 weeks at his little sisters daycare, and then finally we go on vacation. More "camp" is really the last thing he wants on vacation. He just wants to be left alone to be able to play video games. So I've booked the Disney Fantasy for next August.

Celebrity wasn't bad -- they did have some "video game time", but the problem was it was usually towards the end of the evening when I wanted to pick him up.

I'm interested on sailing on Royal Caribbean with the kids, so i'm interesting in hearing more about how the kids program is structured.

My 8 year old son sounds very similar. He really enjoyed the kids club on the Disney Dream. He's been on 7 cruises... Cunard, Carnival, Celebrity, and Disney. When he was younger he was OK with the "organized activities", but as he has gotten older he has been less interested. I sort of see his point... we usually do our family vacation at the end of the summer, so he has had 6 weeks of organized activities (camp), then he gets stuck for 2 weeks at his little sisters daycare, and then finally we go on vacation. More "camp" is really the last thing he wants on vacation. He just wants to be left alone to be able to play video games. So I've booked the Disney Fantasy for next August.

Celebrity wasn't bad -- they did have some "video game time", but the problem was it was usually towards the end of the evening when I wanted to pick him up.

I'm interested on sailing on Royal Caribbean with the kids, so i'm interesting in hearing more about how the kids program is structured.

My son LOVED the fantasy - although I was worried he was playing too many video games - I thought he would have more fun with the gagaball etc. but he wasn't isolating himself - all of the games were team sports wii, driving against each other etc. ( I thought he would be all by himself but he had a great time and was still interacting with other kids)

Just as you mentioned - after so many weeks of camp etc, I think he will be disappointed in more organized activities

My experience with Royal Caribbean over several cruises is that they do a lot of "active" activities. I don't think I've ever seen them do crafts. They have a separate video game arcade which is top notch.

I have a video game obsessed ds8. We just got off a 3 week HAL cruise. There were a lot of organized activities, including crafts, bingo and board games, plus Wii and Xbox for limited times. He wanted to be there very minute it was open. Hejust loved being able to play with other kids.