cruising with a baby

megann831

My husband and I love cruising and we've taken our children on two. This year I'm expecting our 3rd child. As a teacher I never get to take advantage of travel deals or low crowd season. I'd like to go on a cruise with the kids while I'm on leave, they'll be 6 months, 6 and 8 years. My husband is starting to question if this is a good idea. I'm not interested in leaving the baby. We're thinking of doing Anthem of the Seas so there is a ton of stuff on board to do and then I'd hope to get in a few beach days at port. We don't live too far from the beach so this would not be the baby's 1st time at the beach. I feel we're experienced parents, experienced cruisers, and typically young babies spend a lot of time sleeping and are easier to travel with than toddlers. Do you think this trip sounds like a good idea?

My husband and I love cruising and we've taken our children on two. This year I'm expecting our 3rd child. As a teacher I never get to take advantage of travel deals or low crowd season. I'd like to go on a cruise with the kids while I'm on leave, they'll be 6 months, 6 and 8 years. My husband is starting to question if this is a good idea. I'm not interested in leaving the baby. We're thinking of doing Anthem of the Seas so there is a ton of stuff on board to do and then I'd hope to get in a few beach days at port. We don't live too far from the beach so this would not be the baby's 1st time at the beach. I feel we're experienced parents, experienced cruisers, and typically young babies spend a lot of time sleeping and are easier to travel with than toddlers. Do you think this trip sounds like a good idea?

Yes...Go for it...Just make sure the baby is at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise..that's the minimum age to cruise...there is also a 12 month old minimum age that doesn't pertain to your itinerary.

Traveling with your child is really no different than being home with them...but you will need to bring any and all "baby" items.....like diapers, wipes, and especially any baby meds...the ship doesn't sell stuff for kids! Tylenol, ear drops, nose drops, tummy meds...anything you use or MIGHT need! Don't forget sunscreen for babies! And, your stroller!

You're a family, and that's how you vacation!

Maybe. I think it depends upon your family and also your baby's temperament. Some babies are really flexible and sleep a lot anywhere under any circumstances. Others need their routine and are very difficult to get to sleep if their routine is disrupted. There's nothing stopping you from booking the cruise, and making a final decision at final payment time when you have a better sense of how easy your little one is.

We are cruising with our son on the Anthem in May when he will be 19 months. The only hard thing is bringing all the baby stuff, especially for feeding/changing, but if you are local to NJ and breastfeeding, this will likely not be an issue. I traveled to Ireland from Pennsylvania with my son when he was 6 months and we were first time parents and did great and had a great time! You will enjoy it and the baby likely will too! If you have an easygoing baby, which they likely are if they have 2 siblings, you will likely not have an issue with taking advantage of the nursery on board for some one-on-one couples time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very easy. We cruised with both our kids multiple times as infants. Just try to keep to the same feeding/ nap schedule. Bring a stroller and baby can nap anywhere. I used to wheel my kids around the promenade deck during the day to get them to sleep then head back to the lido while he/she slept. We would sit in the back at the shows with baby asleep in the stroller and just leave if baby woke up or didn't want to sit still. We brought the blow-up duck bathtub for the shower to bathe them in. Overall its a great family vacation.