Would you drink the Kava?

Or have you? What are the effects? Is it safe?

Thanks

If you go to the Kava ceremony, it is very rude not to at least try it. It tastes NASTY so be prepared. Just take a couple of sips and be done with it.

There are actually Kava bars springing up all over the South Pacific. The effects are supposed to be euphoric. Safe??-with only a few sips, certainly. I wouldn't be able to drink enough due to the taste to make it unsafe for me.

I did it twice in Fiji. Both times-NASTY taste but smiles all around that you participated. The ceremony on a small island where we went snorkeling off a sail boat was very formal. Even had a high priest from the Island at the ceremony. The one in Nadi not very formal (very touristy) but still, a true ceremony where the Fijian people believe they are giving you a gift. Enjoy!!!

The HAL ship's tour that we took from Lautoka included a kava ceremony at Viseisei Village. However, with the large number of people present and the general "touristy" atmosphere, there seemed to be no pressure to sip the kava, and many of us did not. The dances, ceremony and displayed objects were interesting whether or not one tried the kava.

John

Edited by J-D

Agree with Greatam's comments. I drank Kava at a ceremony in Vanuatu. Tastes absolutely terrible but it's one of those things that you do once just to say that you have done it. My head was spinning for a while afterwards, but no lasting effects.:)

I have never tried it, but coming back onto the ship I was talking to a women who had tried it. She had hobbled off the ship in pain from arthritis, using a walking stick. Coming back (stickless) she said she felt 'wonderful' and pain-free. Don't know how much she drank, or how long the effect lasted but she was pretty 'happy'! :D

One whole mouthful and your legs and arms will go numb as will your mouth.

Then you'll have to be carried back to the ship.

I suggest only a tiny sip....it tastes awful and not necessarily hygienically presented.

So don't you try it again Deb.... lol :D

Jill;)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

It tastes like sucking on a peppery mud puddle (I think cant say I have tried that). It is deeply significant to those who cultures...Vanuatu kava is stronger than Fijiian. No it is probably not too hygenic but then it is an experience and travel is all about experience.

Oh Debsta do tell...???

Sue

Quite safe to drink. You have to drink a fair bit to have any further feeling than a tingle or numb lips.

Ever seen it prepared? I would drink it more often in Fiji if the mixers used a nail brush and scrubbed their hands with good soap. As they give their hands a quick 'rinse' before preparing I decline.

My preferred method of preparation is the traditional Samoan way. The local village virgin girls chew the root (in their mouth) and spit the pounded material in the bowl, prior to mixing.

Safe to drink = yes.

Prepared in a hygienic manner = don't even think about it.

• 5 weeks later...

Either politely decline to try the kava, or drink it. It is considered rude to sip it then hand it back. Many years ago I had two cups-full - the second one was for a photo. Kava is a narcotic, not alcoholic and it will leave your lips a bit numb for a short while. If you have three or four cups-full you will be 'leg-less' - but I don't know why anyone would have three or four cups-full.:D

Either politely decline to try the kava, or drink it. It is considered rude to sip it then hand it back. Many years ago I had two cups-full - the second one was for a photo. Kava is a narcotic, not alcoholic and it will leave your lips a bit numb for a short while. If you have three or four cups-full you will be 'leg-less' - but I don't know why anyone would have three or four cups-full.:D

It's a cultural thing. In Fiji 70% of the male population would have a regular session. A 'kava party' may go in for a few hours or until the early hours of the morning.

Drinking kava does cause aggravation like alcohol does, but does have other long term effects - negative. The men will sit and drink and talk and drink and talk..........

A bowl won't hurt.

My 15 yo daughter and my 60+ MIL tried kava at a suva market, made from the powdered roots and water, daughter sa1d it was not the worst thing she had ever tried ( that was fermented soy beans in japan:eek:) made both their lips tingle but that was it. They both put it down as an experience, the fijians were stoked that they were happy to give it a go, and at $1 fiji ( around 60 aus cents) it was a cheap experience.

Cheers maree:)

My 15 yo daughter and my 60+ MIL tried kava at a suva market, made from the powdered roots and water, daughter sa1d it was not the worst thing she had ever tried ( that was fermented soy beans in japan:eek:) made both their lips tingle but that was it. They both put it down as an experience, the fijians were stoked that they were happy to give it a go, and at $1 fiji ( around 60 aus cents) it was a cheap experience.

Cheers maree:)

Has anyone done the Nawaka Village tour ...we have it offered as a shore excursion but can't understand why it is offered when in the disclaimer it says that village tours don't operate on a Sunday..we pull in to Lautoka on 5th Jan which is a Sunday!